The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

scotty1982

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by scotty1982 »

It is a carbenfibre creations lid. No it is a direct replacement as it uses the original engine lid catch.

Engine temp wise I never tested it with the stock engine and I don't believe Phil has tested yet. Although with the extra space it creates it should reduce engine heat considerably
ghostrider88

Post by ghostrider88 »

scotty1982 wrote:It is a carbenfibre creations lid. No it is a direct replacement as it uses the original engine lid catch.

Engine temp wise I never tested it with the stock engine and I don't believe Phil has tested yet. Although with the extra space it creates it should reduce engine heat considerably

Thanks for the answer :)

that's what i thought... I wish there was a short of cover, similar to this engine lid, that you just could attach over the existing lid as a cover. Is there shuts thing? The nearest i can think of is the Super edition roof spoiler, but that is almost impossible to get hands on...
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've not done any tests as such, however you can feel the heat pouring out when it's standing. It's a much for when the forged engine goes in, as that GT3076 makes a fair amount of heat :shock: Although the new heatshield should help massively when it's done :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well it was another long but productive day up at Peter's yesterday. Unfortunately jobs which should have been simple just weren't due to issues with the existing components..

All the bits needed for the day and the engine swap packed up and ready to go

All this lot (minus the little turbo at the side :lol: ) is going in the white car!

Went off to harvest bits from the old car. It's all a bit empty in here :shock:

Right, on to the job in hand. Not so many photos of this, as it was go go go, . So you'll have to imagine the massive amount of effort involved in getting this done. There was a lovely rounded off tuner nut on both front wheels, due to the studs being too long #-o So they needed drilling out but eventually the wheel's off

Time to install the pillow balls at the same time

The carrier bolts were all but seized on both sides, which would explain why the brakes were that bad! :shock: However in the end they were sorted, Carbotech pads, Goodridge lines and discs on :thumleft:

Done

New tuner nuts required, I know :wink:

I also started worked on the heatshield for the turbo. Craig I owe you £10 :wink:

Cut to fit

Time to cover it in Nimbus

Drills a few holes to rivet it on, before it could be fully mounded and trimmed to shape, then riveted fully

And that's where I left it, as it got late, really late!

A good day all in all. Thanks as always to Peter for his time and tool use :thumleft: Nothing to do now but wait to drop the white car up on Monday, ready for the big swap :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Oh, I never mentioned the handling improvements. #-o

The brakes are now awesome! Far better than most I've known on any car. The handling is sharper due to the braces etc, so all in all the car feels solid and gives you bags more confidence. After it's finished next week it should be really quite special :thumleft:

One more note, as it's quite poignant right now - Maintain your cars people and service your brakes... :wink:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Magic Beans wrote:One more note, as it's quite poignant right now - Maintain your cars people and service your brakes... :wink:

Tried to resist - but willpower not fully charged this morning...

Yes Phil, it was a good day yesterday. But i have to say it annoys me intensely to take a car like yours, one of the best looking cars i have ever seen, and find so little basic maintence has ben carried out by previous owners.

3 totally seized calipers, 2 inner track rod ends with more than 2mm of play come to mind immediately. Anyd's TRD was much the same, even worse.

Why do people spend 1000s on bodykits, paintwork and interior, yet can't even be bothered to carry out uncomplicated, routine maintenance to keep their cars running safe and within the law. ](*,)
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:

I also started worked on the heatshield for the turbo. Craig I owe you £10 :wink:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... GA0142.jpg

No bother Phil, don't leave the country! :mrgreen:

Nice work though guys. Cracking job :clap:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Looking good Phil :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Peter's been busy cleaning up and painting the various engine parts ready this week's big event. I must say, it's starting to come together nicely :thumleft:

Freshly painted fitted and the WI socket plugged (for now :whistle: )

Engine hooks painted, hoses degreased and generally nice and tidy

We dropped up today to drop off the car, so this is the last shot of it in it's current guise. By the end of the week the blue car/white car hybrid will be born. But what will it be called :-k :whistle: :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

And so it begins..
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Looking good mate :thumleft:

Can't wait to see the new engine dropped in :D

When I have my v6 in, we shall have to take a trip to Santa pod and do a joint 1/4 mile ... I'd be intrigued to see how a standard v6 would cope up to your tuned engine :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

We'll do that :thumleft:

You'll need to replace your tyres if you're dropping a V6 lump in there. Check a few pages back in this thread if you want to see a reason why :(
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Magic Beans wrote:And so it begins..

Need to get myself one of those covers. Enginebay fiddling and white cars is a god dam nightmare!

So how excited are you phil ?? Like a kid at christmas yet ? =P~
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Kitch wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:And so it begins..
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... overed.jpg

Need to get myself one of those covers. Enginebay fiddling and white cars is a god dam nightmare!

So how excited are you phil ?? Like a kid at christmas yet ? =P~

I hear ya. This paint is a nightmare, as getting anything touched up would be impossible :pale:

Pretty damn exciting to be honest! I'm equally as excited at the prospect of having a month where I'm not just relentlessly paying out money on cars though :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

One final update before the finished article is revealed :wink:

Peter's been doing some great work on the engine, replacing parts which are aged, whilst cleaning and painting everything before it goes in. :thumleft: I'm awaiting a few parts back from the powder coater too, which will hopefully be with me today or tomorrow :pray:

Heat shield completed and the engine's all but ready to install :D

New fuel lines in place, just the FPR to go in once the engine's in place

This is the rear sub frame from the blue car, after a damn good degrease and clean. Who'd have thought it could come up this well :shock:

New vs old. Anyone want to buy a rev3 tubby conversion? :whistle:

This one's for Peter. It's one of the little bits I've been working on, ready for the car to be finished. It's a billet aluminium oil filler cap which started out like this

And after one of my polishing specials, it looks like this.

The pattern is the mirror reflection of the ceiling :shock:

There's a few other bits I've got but you'll have to wait until the car's finished :mrgreen:

Roll on Friday evening now :D
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Looking good mate, coming along really well!

Are you going to jae?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yup, all booked and paid for :thumleft: You?
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

I might take a drive down and come and say HI to everyone. And check out the work you have done with my own eyes :)
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

top work from you and Peter Phil- I'm enjoying the thread again. :thumleft:
marshiboi

Post by marshiboi »

I've read all 40 odd pages of this thread with interest, so much care and effort has been taken.

Was so gutted when you lost her in the rain, I must be one of the slowest people on the roads when out in the rain in my 2, or was when she wasn't SORN'd

Keep up the amazing work! :clap:

Return to “Member Profiles”