The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

slipping clutch

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by slipping clutch »

Turbo timer or boost control in place of smelly nasty dog ends????????
stephano

Post by stephano »

didnt fancy making the hoses into 22mm copper hard-lines then? :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:Turbo timer or boost control in place of smelly nasty dog ends????????

No sir, done that before. The boost controller lives in a DIN slot at the moment, for which I'll make a custom mount and plate for it and the WI gauge in the future. :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

stephano wrote:didnt fancy making the hoses into 22mm copper hard-lines then? :mrgreen:

Hell no, it would be a world of pain bending and fitting all that copper in a 300mm gap :pale:

Plus given the world's current love of stealing copper from things, I would always be worried about pikeys sniffing it out :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just a wee small update, to say that things are progressing exactly as planned and on schedule. The engine's coming out of the blue car this coming week, after which there's a few jobs to do on it before it goes into the new car the following week :thumleft:

In the meantime I've been busying myself with a few little non-car related projects, along with a few car related bits which are currently still works in progress. Should be spot on when they're done though :thumleft:

I decided it was time to line the surround of the engine cover with something to protect the paint, as it was rubbing. So off comes the cover

I've used this stuff for a few other similar jobs in the past and it's perfect. It compresses nicely, so doesn't cause things to sit proud of where they should be, whilst giving a layer of padding between the two surfaces.

On it goes

Back on and worked a charm :thumleft:

I also picked this up today. A nice fresh coat of paint :D
craig

Post by craig »

good updates mate! :thumleft:

I hope that cam cover wasn't sand blasted before painting! :pale:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Pretty sure it was just degreased and sprayed. Good call though, just checking with him now :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Pretty sure it was just degreased and sprayed. Good call though, just checking with him now :thumleft:

Good man! Don't want any grit in your new engine! [-X :pale:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Lord no :shock:
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

RedMR² wrote:good updates mate! :thumleft:

You know what, and I know this will ruffel some feathers. People bleat on about this. the red rocker cover on this very car I had blasted and powder coated. I just made sure the it was properly taped up and the blaster was very careful and there has been no problem with it
craig

Post by craig »

scotty1982 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:good updates mate! :thumleft:

You know what, and I know this will ruffel some feathers. People bleat on about this. the red rocker cover on this very car I had blasted and powder coated. I just made sure the it was properly taped up and the blaster was very careful and there has been no problem with it

I personally don't think it's worth the risk, easy to miss grains of sand!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

And so it begins, it's engine drop time :thumleft:

Just found out about this too

Before my time of course but nice to see it get some attention. You did good Scott :clap:
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

My last show with her :-(
h180eeu

Post by h180eeu »

Shame about the old car but onwards i suppose.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

h180eeu wrote:Shame about the old car but onwards i suppose.
:roll:

h180eeu

Post by h180eeu »

Lol i didn't know how to word it tbh, but i'm glad to see things continuing.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

There's an absolute whirlwind of things going on at the moment! All in preparation for the big transplant next week :D

Peter's been fuelling my love of photos nicely, which is much appreciated. Little updates regarding progress throughout the day, to keep me going until it all comes together :thumleft:

So we left things with the engine on chains and ready to drop. Well it's now out and progress is going well, working through all the little jobs needed on it before it gets re-inserted.

Well folks, we now know why the HKS exhaust was blowing like hell after the car had a knock :shock:

Stainless steel exhausts are a must! Good job I always planned on keeping the trusty Sheepdog on the new car

Bent to hell but took the impact well. The suspension's fine, which is good, as I can sell it :lol:

Here's how he looks now. Slowly evaporating as bits are removed and/or sold :(

One of the jobs which needed doing while the engine was out was to sort the shims. There was a fair old rattle at high revs, which was originally thought to be wear and tear. Turns out the guy that built the engine (previous owner) was good at putting money into the engine but not remembering which order to put things back together. All wrong, all of them!

Shims all now spot on, ATS cam pulleys on, just needs the nice new cam cover :wink: Should run nice and quiet now, plus pull even harder than before :D

Quite handy with a rattle can aren't Peter :wink:

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the new drilled/grooved discs have arrived, ready for installation tomorrow. Paid a visit to the powder coater today, to drop off a few bits I've got lined up :whistle: The windscreen has been replaced, by a damn nice guy from Autoglass. An outstanding job he's done too, considering he had to tolerate me checking he had the right screen and seal etc :lol: I know how to remove a windscreen now too, not that I'll be doing it any time soon (I hope :pray: ) :mrgreen:

Loads happening tomorrow, in the last push to get everything sorted before I drop off the white car with Dr Gidden, for it's long awaited hear and brain transplant. Let's just hope the Mule parts have learnt to play nice when they get their new body :eye:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

h180eeu wrote:Lol i didn't know how to word it tbh, but i'm glad to see things continuing.

:)

It will, in fact it'll be a whole new beginning as of the end of next week. It's was an unfortunate accident however it's actually worked out for the better in the long run. As breaking the blue car has uncovered a fair amount of issues waiting to crop up in the future. Just the result of 4 years of neglect prior to me buying it I guess. It was a good price though and after some work the engine's turned out to be a diamond in the rough. :thumleft:
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Is your engine lid a CarBenfibre one? And do you have any readings on temperature differences resulting from this lid?
ghostrider88

Post by ghostrider88 »

Glenn_k wrote:Is your engine lid a CarBenfibre one? And do you have any readings on temperature differences resulting from this lid?

was just on my way to ask the same questions. The engine lid looks so smooth and really changes the look of the mr2.

Can add one more question: Is there necessary to remove the OEM engine lid if you are planing to get this engine lid? Or can it be added as a short of cover.

Return to “Member Profiles”