Paint Job?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darkphoenix1979

Paint Job?

Post by darkphoenix1979 »

Hi, am looking at putting my mica blue t-bar in for some light rust removal (Rear arch, what a surprise) and a couple of other very small areas. While the cars in for that was looking at getting the whole car resprayed in original mica blue as unfortunately the paint is mis-matched through previous owners attempted repairs. Anybody got any idea how much a blow over is now days? :-k :-k
mk1 dal

Re: Paint Job?

Post by mk1 dal »

hi , you cant do a simple blow over with the colour you have , base coat ( blue ) is a swine for reacting with older paints so it will need a major prep to paint it right , i would think at the lower end 1500 to 2000 pounds to have it done right .
darkphoenix1979

Was hoping it would be a bit less, had the rear arches cut, welded and painted including the boot and blended into the doors for £800 on my last one in the same colour, suppose i better get my ar$e in gear and get some quotes. Goodbye Savings!
ian08

Post by ian08 »

I'm just about to have my Mazda resprayed and I'm looking at the best part of 2 grand for a quality job... I'd imagine a Mk1 MR2 would be around the same.... you'll get it cheaper but you usually get what you pay for.... cheapo = poor prep and finish
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

Ive not long had my car done and it was about £1500. New rear arches all rust gone and of course the colour change :D

But it did go from this

To this

darkphoenix1979

Nice, i like the purple. amazing difference 1 body shop wanted 4-5 grand, so went back to the one that rebuilt my last one. thet quoted £2000 but since they already have done a load of work for me they cut me a deal, if i dismantle all the plastics, badges and anything else thats not being painted off the car then deliver it ready for them to start they'll do it for £1000. Since i know there work think ill be going with them. Mind you i do have to put it back together after! Should be fun.
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

hi that sounds a good deal , snap there hand off a that price .
:thumleft:
darkphoenix1979

Oh i am! Starting to dismantle the car Wednesday hoping to get it in sat morning, they think it will take about 2 weeks to do, not bad considering they've got to cut out the rear arches and then they've gotta make new ones, wonder if they still got the templates from my last one. will take some before and after pics to put up.
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

if you having the arches done i would spend a bit more money and buy the ones off little bird on ebay , very good quality and a spot on fit . to stop any more rot have the full arch removed and the rubber seal between the inner and outer arch completely taken off , this causes the rot in the first place. if you just have sections of rusty arch cut out and replace with metal you are wasting your money as the seal still remains and the rust will come back 100% guaranteed.

gary
darkphoenix1979

Did think about arch sections but after the last job, got complete confidence in them, they removed the seal, and cut along way back to get to good all round metal, was amazing what they found last time inside my arches, wood ruler, notebook, newspaper, and other questionable magazines. Hope we don't find any of that this time :!:
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

hi . your in good hands then :thumleft: .
post picks up of work done , mk1 owner will need trusted workman ship in your area .

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”