3GSE into AW11

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HT

3GSE into AW11

Post by HT »

Does anyone have any info on swapping the 4AGE for the 3GSE out of a 1993 SW20. Primarily interested in wiring diagrams; its a friends project and he intends to run the standard ECU out of the mk11.

Any help appreciated, many thanks Huw :)
elbon50

Re: 3GSE into AW11

Post by elbon50 »

Paul Woods is yer main man for that Huw

He's been doing 3SGE / 3SGTE swaps professionally for 15 years

Also there's a dedicated forum packed with info www.twobrutal.co.uk

Peter
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Huw, i can indeed help you with everything, but i have to say the 3s-ge is a total waste of time and effort, the Mk1 is no quicker with that engine fitted due to the weight penalty and little increase, one negates the other.

If you are going to go to all of that expense and trouble put the 3s-gte in there instead and go out and kill some Porsches. :twisted:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

sorry to hijack but has a 7MGTE ever been fitted Paul, or is it just too big? Saw one up at buxton the other week in the standard car and that didnt hang about!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That's a straight six and just won't fit either transversely or inline, it would be possible to do on a Mk2 inline with a slight chassis stretch.

It starts to become pointless going to all that effort when there are such good V6 options that don't involve major cutting.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Ahhh didn't know it was a straight six!
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
HT

Post by HT »

Totally agree a 3S-GTE would be worth the effort, however he has a a redundant mk2 with later spec engine (160 bhp?), and a mk1 that keeps popping its head! Should still be worth the energy overall car has been restored bodywork wise so is now rot free (insofar as a mk1 can be!) :wink:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Have you found the info you were looking for on the Twobrutal forum HT ?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

HT wrote:Totally agree a 3S-GTE would be worth the effort, however he has a a redundant mk2 with later spec engine (160 bhp?), and a mk1 that keeps popping its head! Should still be worth the energy overall car has been restored bodywork wise so is now rot free (insofar as a mk1 can be!) :wink:

Trust me Huw that conversion is not worth the effort, it will be no quicker than a stock 4a-ge, all you will have done is add more weight to the car with no performance gain.

It's the same amount of work to install the GTE (bar extra intercooler stuff) or the 1mz-fe V6, both of which will turn it into a mini supercar.

I appreciate he has a Mk2 engine just sat there, but he will be worse off using it, the 3s-ge is no better in terms of HG reliability, they too pop like corks.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

elbon50 wrote:Have you found the info you were looking for on the Twobrutal forum HT ?

Peter it would be pointless asking there, only two people in the UK have ever built one, myself and a guy called Lee built one despite me telling him how crap it would be, after driving it and within a matter of months he replaced it with a 3s-gte.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
elbon50 wrote:Have you found the info you were looking for on the Twobrutal forum HT ?

Peter it would be pointless asking there, only two people in the UK have ever built one, myself and a guy called Lee built one despite me telling him how crap it would be, after driving it and within a matter of months he replaced it with a 3s-gte.

I wondered if HT had found the wiring diagrams he was looking for Paul

Presumably they'd be similar for both N/A & turbo

Or maybe not :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah right, well i've written wiring guides for the 3s-gte which will be similar, a few revision changes along the way, but it really is pointless.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Ah right, well i've written wiring guides for the 3s-gte which will be similar, a few revision changes along the way, but it really is pointless.

Yes, best to get a tubby rear clip & forget the N/A Mk2
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

At least all the hard work would have been done for when he decides to put a turbo in
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yep you could look at it that way, it's a lot of work to discover i was right though :D , it really won't be any faster than a stock 4a-ge.
HT

Post by HT »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Yep you could look at it that way, it's a lot of work to discover i was right though :D , it really won't be any faster than a stock 4a-ge.

Very true - but said friend is a little bit like you Paul, in the sense he likes the challenge of doing something; so its not an exercise to go mega quick just make use of two defunct motor vehicles :wink:

Unfortunately he isn't the most accomplished person regarding IT :) Hence trying to work some of these things out for him.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Hi, I have a mk1b with the rev3 spec 3SGE in it, which has 173bhp, and I can say it's definitely faster than a stock 4AGE car. More than just slightly.

You get a wider torque curve and strong pull all the way up to about 7k rpm. Strange how Paul says it's not worth it as he did my conversion and was quite enthusiastic about the qualities of it at the time.

I love the 4AGE and think it suits the original concept of the car perfectly. However, my original engine (and I've driven quite a few) was the worst performing engine I'd driven so it needed a change. The later spec 3SGE fitted the bill and left the car with the performance I wanted.

I've been in a 'mk1.5', driven by Paul himself, and as much as it felt faster even from the passenger seat you could feel the extra weight and it seemed to have lost the feeling of what the mk1 is about - a reasonably light weight, fun, spirited drive car.

All IMHO of course.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I felt your car was only marginally quicker than with its old 4age, and even then i felt it was just a change in power delivery, don't get me wrong it pulls well but obviously i've driven a hell of a lot of stock and modified Mk1s and for me there was not enough gain versus the added 3s-ge weight, there is a lot of work involved too so it's for those reasons i would not advise someone to go down that route when there are much better alternatives.

The 3s-gte is only slightly heavier than the 3s-ge but offers a lot more power and is practically the same conversion.

If i was to build another it would have to be a Beams engine.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”