Gearbox differences?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Gearbox differences?

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have a rev2 mr2 and the gearbox is really starting to annoy me changed the oil and gear linkages and second is starting to crunch abit more especially when cold but noticeable all the time and it's starting to ruin the driving experience, thirds not brilliant now either.

I am going to be on the look out for a secondhand box so I need to know what to look out for. My understanding is na's and turbo's are incompatible is that correct? I wouldn't want a rev1 box because they seem to be the weakest but is there any difference between a rev2 box and the later ones? Alot of the boxes for sale ATM are out the car so is there anyway of seeing if it has any problems without actually testing it in a car?

I'm in Yorkshire so if anyone has a decent secondhand one anywhere close I would be interested if not too far away.

Thanks Rich
No 2 :(
clarkson23

Re: Gearbox differences?

Post by clarkson23 »

Hi mate I have a rev 2 n/a box sat here , didn't crunch or high pitch whining , cheap if you want it , pm me and I'll get some pics if you want.
Can post.
Chris.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

clarkson23 wrote:Hi mate I have a rev 2 n/a box sat here , didn't crunch or high pitch whining , cheap if you want it , pm me and I'll get some pics if you want.
Can post.
Chris.

Sent you a PM :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Have now purchased a box off clarkson :thumleft:

I am going to get all the bits together and then save up to get it fitted so what will I be needing?

Things I know I need is obviously gearbox oil and since the gearbox has to come out I may aswell change the clutch any suggestions which one to go for?

Is there a gasket between the gearbox and the engine?

I don't think the new box has a reverse sensor and mine doesn't work so am going to get one of those.

This may sound daft but when changing a clutch I'm guessing there will be something do with the clutch fluid? Either drain and replace or just bleed it afterwards? Or am I being stupid and that is totally different?

With regards to the new/secondhand box is there anything I need to check or replace just as a precaution? Am going to give it a good clean but is there any seals that I might aswell change while I have full access to it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Rich
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

no gasket between engine and box,

bleed the clutch after its put back togther

if you are running a std engine (most likely as NA) get a std clutch

might be wise to change the driveshaft oil seals, be a shame to leak new gearbox oil after its all been put back together

cant say about the reverse switch but its not an mot requirement to have reversing lights (if thats what you were worried about)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks Jason would this clutch be ok?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2388p117 ... 90_onwards
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

yup, that'll fit for you
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Now if your clever and don't want the ball ache of bleeding the clutch undo the slave cylinder from the gearbox and tie it up out of the way.

Trust me, the clutch bleed can be a right ar$e to do
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks for the tips guys just need to save some money so i can get it fitted :pale:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

if your remotely diy capable rich it's not hard to do yourself, providing the starter motor comes out ok, ive just put back together the second one ive done and they can be done in a day if everything goes ok, you don't need any special tools to do it (based on doing n/a's haven't done a turbo yet but can't imagine it's alot more difficult)

chris
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm a plumbing and heating engineer so I know what I am doing its just the supporting of the engine and a few tools I'm missing. I think I've sorted it anyway I met a ex Toyota mechanic on a job I'm on at the moment. He has the equipment and the knowledge and we are hopefully going to put it in next week.
Have ordered the clutch, driveshaft oil seal, gulf competition 75w-90 gearbox oil and a reverse light switch. The gearbox should be here for Friday so will give it a good clean and then fit it next week fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

Rich
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm a plumbing and heating engineer so I know what I am doing its just the supporting of the engine and a few tools I'm missing. I think I've sorted it anyway I met a ex Toyota mechanic on a job I'm on at the moment. He has the equipment and the knowledge and we are hopefully going to put it in next week.
Have ordered the clutch, driveshaft oil seal, gulf competition 75w-90 gearbox oil and a reverse light switch. The gearbox should be here for Friday so will give it a good clean and then fit it next week fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

Rich
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

a trolley jack is all i use for supporting the engine, and a clutch alignment tool is the only thing outside of normal sockets/spanners/screwdrivers i use but quite a result in finding an experienced hand to help you. the only other thing id suggest getting is possibly a crankshaft seal, if you take it apart and find yours leaking it'll be a pain waiting to get one only issue is there about £40 if you find you don't need one

chris
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thomp1983 I'm guessing you mean the rear crankshaft oil seal?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

yeah thats the one, you can normally see if it's gone as you'll have an oil leak at the joint between the gearbox and engine at the bottom, just check it's engine oil and not gearbox oil from a leaking driveshaft seal if there is oil there (they smell very different gearbox oil stinks)

chris
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So will I need to drain the engine oil to change the crankshaft oil seal?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

no you'lllose a smallamount but the majority of the oil will be in the sump which is lower than the crank, you will need some loctite for eh flywheel bolt though or new bolts. as i said it's one of those things you can check before starting

chris
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Ok thanks Thomp I've ordered a crankshaft seal anyway rather do everything in one got a driveshaft oil seal from toyota ordered aswell so hopefully that should sort everything in one :thumleft:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

i assume you ordered two driveshaft oil seals and that was a typo?

chris
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

There's 2 o f**k I ordered 1 driveshaft seal from TCB and it arrived today I didn't know there was 2 bu88er :evil:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”