[Mk2] [NA] Air conditioner radiator - where from ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobPhoboS

[Mk2] [NA] Air conditioner radiator - where from ?

Post by RobPhoboS »

Hey guys,

My air conditioner radiator is totally fooked, looks like it's just been protecting the radiator behind it :lol:
So I think I'd like to replace it and get it working again, any idea as to where I can pick one up from ?

:thumleft:
ChrisW

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Air conditioner radiator - where from ?

Post by ChrisW »

I've been looking into this recently as my aircon is playing up and I know the condenser is in a bad state. You could try here: AirConAuto

You can also get the original Denso unit (part number 477-0534 for rev 3+) from RockAuto in the US. Probably about the same cost after taking import taxes into account.

You should replace the receiver drier at the same time and you'll probably want to get some new O-rings from Toyota.
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Cheers Chris, my one was working fine about a year or so ago and I thought perhaps it just needed refilling but looking at the physical state of the rad itself, no wonder it's not really working :lol:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Know what you mean, I'm amazed mine works at all when half the fins are missing or hanging out the back. The compressor is starting to sound a bit rough too, this could get expensive!
Harold

Post by Harold »

I'm interested in this also, my AC rad has definitely seen better days. Ideally I'd like the whole system testing and repaired where necessary, it does work but isn't very cold.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RobPhoboS wrote:Hey guys,

My air conditioner radiator is totally fooked, looks like it's just been protecting the radiator behind it :lol:
So I think I'd like to replace it and get it working again, any idea as to where I can pick one up from ?

:thumleft:

No pattern parts, so Toyota only.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:No pattern parts, so Toyota only.

Yeah that's a bit rubbish isn't it really. Toyota wouldn't make the part originally so it's strange why there aren't pattern parts available. I think I need one myself as my aircon no longer works :(
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

The Denso part from RockAuto is £176.88 including shipping. With import taxes and VAT on top will that work out cheaper than buying from Toyota UK?
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

If I get a chance to head to toyota I'll find out but if someone else manages to get a price, please post !
Harold

Post by Harold »

RobPhoboS wrote:If I get a chance to head to toyota I'll find out but if someone else manages to get a price, please post !

I think one brand new from Toyota is around £350.
PeterRST

Post by PeterRST »

What about a good second hand one?

Lots of MR2s being broken or prepared for motorsport ATM so shouldnt really be a problem to find one, should it?
Harold

Post by Harold »

Maybe, but I'm guessing that most second hand ones are going to be in rough condition also, considering that mk2s are all quite old now and that the condensers are in a vulnerable position. If you do end up replacing your condenser then it might be a good idea to attach some protective mesh in front of it.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

all the second hand ones ive ever seen on the cars i used to break and the couple i have in at the moment are not good (including my own)

but i break mk4 golfs too and i reckon the air con rad would fit an mr2, of course hoses would need making up/adapting but im going to try and sort it for my own car as i dont want to lose the aircon i have

once i have sorted it, and it will be a while ill post it up
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

I'll put up a post in the wanted section but I need to take the car to James at jdmodified to see what they think requires replacing (I've no idea apart from the rad).
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Slarty wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:No pattern parts, so Toyota only.

Yeah that's a bit rubbish isn't it really. Toyota wouldn't make the part originally so it's strange why there aren't pattern parts available.

Simples. It would have been made to Toyota's design, so the supplier would make them for Toyota only.

MR2 production volumes are too small from a remanufaturing point of view, so no pattern parts.

New from Toyota IIRC, about £250.

Return to “Mechanical”