my turbo conversion

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

clarkson23

my turbo conversion

Post by clarkson23 »

hi, ive been thinking about doin this over the past few months , ive split up with my GF so thought xxxx you and went and bought a turbo car,everything is standard, standard turbo timer, didnt know they had them, interior is half leather/swede, belongs in a museum!! body work was very bad, but engine had 90,000 km on it,
engine was fine all way home no temp issues , the only thing was if you put your foot to floor is would buck back and forth, got it home, one boost pipe wasnt connected properly, to bottom intercooler, and dizzy cap and rotor have seen better days so, cambelt was done 7000 miles ago so all in all im very happy!, oh it only cost a grand!

they meet!

standard exhaust

standard turbo timer (could be wrong)

party tent came out when it rained!

well thats todays work, got to take n/a engine out and shove this one in, hopefully do it over weekend cause i need car back fast as!, thank god its all plug and play! thanks to my mate johnny who helped me all day also!

saturday:
well yesterday i got my n/a engine out, and got turbo in on passanger side mount, just have trouble gettin bolt through last rubber bit on drivers side - any tips??
also changed over fuel tank, and gear selector cables

shes free

me in the bay

on a old bonnet for easy sliding :)

woo

well i gave up at half 8 last night my hands are killing me, im gonna attack it again monday hopefully i can get the mount in!

cheers
Tsia

Re: my turbo conversion

Post by Tsia »

Great work! I've done this myself and by god it was a pain in the ar$e. We put a Rev 2 engine in a Rev 3 UK shell, so had the additional troubles of the speedo & foglights. It's all good fun though! :D
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

, its all fun mate, just gotta do a few last things tommorow , then i have boost again, ...its been awile! ill have speedo problems as mines electrical, ill just replace the mechinical sender to the dash and swop over to the early clocks, is it just the steering fogs that are affected? or do they just not come on?
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Truth be told, my lights are wired in differently now. I've only got one of the 'two' rear lights on each side on now, with seperate fog etc lights. My fog light warning on my dash also comes on whenever I brake :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Top effort mate! :thumleft:
leary123

Post by leary123 »

Tsia wrote:Truth be told, my lights are wired in differently now. I've only got one of the 'two' rear lights on each side on now, with seperate fog etc lights. My fog light warning on my dash also comes on whenever I brake :lol:

have a look on mr2oc uk ..there is guide in the knowyour2 section about quad tail mod and how to stop the fog light coming on when pusing the brake.

i would give you the link . but appearntly i havent made enough posts on imoc yet, so it wont let me:(
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Great to see you getting stuck in, excellent work :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

cheers lads
just having a bit of trouble with starting and running, so i cracked on with the rest of my jobs, the only problem i have had so far is the fog light coming on with the brake pressed, i need to swop over my n/a clocks to turbo ones aswell,

sat in now

some carbon wrapping

cant really see , but pillars are all wrapped

new rad

twin slim fans

all fitted

drilled , grooved and vented discs all round and new pads

swopped my fiberglass rain lid, for a standard one, but sprayed it up and gave it a good polish! lol

ill get there in the end!
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Impressive stuff. Keep up the good work.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Doing well on this :thumleft:
Ive got one of those rads with shroud and fan and i think they are a cracking buy
Lovin the tent idea as well

steve
Last edited by planted1 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Good progress mate :thumleft:
gaz700

Post by gaz700 »

good progress mate,is that turbo timer standard?? looks to be if not very oem looking!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

nice, I was going to say should have changed the head gasket while it was all out to a rev3 gasket
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

hey, cheers for replies guys, i have a leak above fuel tank.....sigh, brackets snapped like usual ! so ive bought 10 meters of heater hose 19mm id, and goin to go under the tank tommorow with it! oh fun, and starter motor is completely goosed, moisture and rain have destroyed it! so ill replace it tommorow with one of 50 i have in the shed! hopefully its turning over by key tommorow

some of the stupid things you do after a long day! was trying to bump it other night, with no luck 5 people pushing and nothin, -- realised i hadnt put immobilser key in! spent all night rippin hair out, only to realise my stupid mistake!
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

Well i got it all sorted and i can't stop smiling it runs perfect boosts fine and I'm happy a's !!! 2 weeks done , i won't do it on my drive again.... Anyway cheers for readin and some more pics!!

Donor goin!

E-glo badge on, needs repairing half the m is damaged

vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

clarkson23 wrote:Well i got it all sorted and i can't stop smiling it runs perfect boosts fine and I'm happy a's !!! 2 weeks done , i won't do it on my drive again.... Anyway cheers for readin and some more pics!!

Donor goin!
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... bfaa63.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... db59d2.jpg

E-glo badge on, needs repairing half the m is damaged

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad32 ... cd1fda.jpg

arhhhhh dude i would have taken the indicators off the donar ](*,)

what dump valve have you got there ?
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

car in the skip, lol, made me chuckle :bounce:
shoky

Post by shoky »

nice build mate. ive just done the same swop. got same issuies as the fog light when the brake pedal is pressed. as for not doing it again in the drive i can understand where u cumin from lol well done matey :thumleft:
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

Mate everything left on the car was knackered they had cracks I'n , and he turned up unloaded the skip picked my car up smiled and dumped it there, that's the 5th one he's picked up!

Oh dude it's apexi one
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

Just couple of complete pics

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”