Just had a quote for an alarm, any good?...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

riot68

Just had a quote for an alarm, any good?...

Post by riot68 »

Car has a Toad alarm and imobiliser already that's not all working, so quote was for that to be stripped out back to factory then a new Gemini alarm and imobiliser fitted with the smashed glass sensors and remote central locking, guy said total closer not possible if car doesn't already have it on the key lock. Anyway bill was estimated at £400.

So is that a decent price for the work? Sure the last one I had done all be it years ago was quite a bit less, wanted to get closer done if possible, i though it could be fitted, are Gemini alarms any good?

Enough questions for now, i'm in Newark 20 miles odd from Nottingham so does anyone know any other places or even better had one fitted there they could recommend?

cheers...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Just had a quote for an alarm, any good?...

Post by toxo »

Seems a tad on the expensive side, especially if not including total closure - it's a £15 interface box that you can wire up in half hour.

I had a Toad Ai606 installed w/thatcham cert (not sure that's relevant these days) for £280, and then did the total closure (plus a boot release) myself at a later date.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
riot68

Post by riot68 »

yeah my thoughts exactly, funny but the figure I had in my head was £280 haha, so you can have a remote boot release too then? And total closure easily possible on a rev1?...

riot68.com
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121197

Can't vouch for rev1 wiring being the same but I can't imagine it's that different. Should work with any alarm as well, because that interface can be triggered by either a positive or negative signal.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

riot68 wrote:so you can have a remote boot release too then? And total closure easily possible on a rev1?...

Yep, i've wired that lot up to mine.

You just need to fit an actuator to the boot latch, and wire it to a relay. The total closure is easy, it's just a window roll up module :thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

So guy was wrong, total closure easy enough to install on any car with elec windows of course?...

riot68.com
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

riot68 wrote:So guy was wrong, total closure easy enough to install on any car with elec windows of course?...

Yes, dead simple
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Yeah I fitted total closure to a rover metro with the factory alarm, cost £15 from a company called DIYGTI on ebay. Dont know if they are still about but I bought another kit recently for my MG which I have not yet fitted. Its a doddle.

A mate had a full alarm fitted to his range rover and the installer said he would not fit full closure since the only thing stopping the windows on his car was the thermal trip. Total nonsence, all modern electric windows have a clucth (or similar mechanism) to stop them cutting dogs heads off so the closure kit just energises the window for 10 seconds, if it closes in 2 seconds then it just runs the motor against the clutch for 8 seconds, no big deal.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Just had a toad alarm put on my van by a guy on eBay for 140 abit different I know but not a million miles away I would have thought complexity wise. Only thing different was no electric windows so no total closure.
big_joe

Post by big_joe »

:clap: ](*,) :-# \:D/ :cry: :evil: :oops: [-X
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

big_joe wrote::clap: ](*,) :-# \:D/ :cry: :evil: :oops: [-X

Was that aimed at me?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Mote research methinks, car has a toad already it just not working, maybe it coule be though. Car was stood & neglected for 6 years , just have no idea where to start...

riot68.com
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

£300 for a toad Ai606 is the going rate. There are two outputs on the 606 so you can have remote start (three extra relays), lights on, total closure or a boot popper. Think the guy saw your car and thought money pit!
Site updated 14/04/2012
riot68

Post by riot68 »

he had set prices, wasn't in the mr2, have email a guy off here so see where that get's me...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”