Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Cattwooduk

Re: Project MRX350

Post by Cattwooduk »

I haven't checked up on the forum for a while but when I do I love these projects. I sold my MK1 last summer for something that feels a little more solid and comfortable and got a 94' GT4...
I had a lot of niggly issues with my MK1 when I bought it as it was basically the first car I'd ever bought, I think I spent well over 3k on it in the 4 years I had it. But looking at projects like this just makes me realise how much I miss it even though it was a pain in the ar$e in a lot of ways!
Definitely going to save the money gradually, take some time to look around and buy a really clean one. I love the power of my GT4, but there is something about the MK1 and the way it drives! My dad just finished rebuilding a mashed up 91' MX5 and I drove it the other day, wasn't quite the same but it reminded me of my old MK1.
If I got another I would probably end up having to stick a 3SGTE in it though!

How is the V8 coming along now anyway?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

msherry21 wrote:Love it, Love it.....LOVE IT!!!

I think I want another Mk1. I may need to find a garage to store and work on my cars, Its getting ridiculous!

I'll keep an eye on this thread with great interest.

Cheers, Michael.

Mr Sherry! How the hell are you mate? Your old red Mk1 has a lot of influence on this car. You should get yourself to JAE for a session, it would be great to see you again.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cattwood, the V8 is in the final bodywork stage, but there's a lot of it to do, it's mechanically finished, has been for quite some time, i just need to get my head down and get it looking the part, but it'll never be a car i can use regularly, more of a show queen.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

As always Paul, i enjoying watching your creations come to life.

This one looks like its going to be one of your best!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Ned and Alex, group buy for the buddy club lip on Mk1 club/Two Brutal. I'm top of the list :lover:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Mr Sherry! How the hell are you mate? Your old red Mk1 has a lot of influence on this car.

Same with me Michael.. as you know, I still have your old borbets and your old Mk1 golf arches are what made me want to go widearch, you trend setter you! :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

charged wrote:Ned and Alex, group buy for the buddy club lip on Mk1 club/Two Brutal. I'm top of the list :lover:

Cheers muchly Ollie!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Always a problem to start a project before finishing with the one before, LOL, but I am sure it will be fun when finished!

When are you going to do a roadster project Paul? Personally I'd never build another MK1 up ever again...the MK3 chassis is just too good (and rust free!).
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I've already built dozens of roadster projects Toni, 3vz, 1mz and 2gr engined... do you mean for myself?
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Fantastic project Paul!! That engine should be great!! Sad to say I preferred the original wheels, but you obviously had to change them for the arches!!
Personally I'm in full agreement of using a good/solid car to start with, makes life 100% easier & the job more enjoyable, it's demoralising chasing issues before doing "fun stuff" lol

Lauren wrote:LOL!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I reckon Steve must have been peeing himself laughing, because when I pulled out of the pitlane and booted it, I was like 'fooking hell', then I changed gear and planted it again and it was a 'fook me'! It sort of went on like that until it started overheating after two laps, just when I was getting into my stride!:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxjwi2T9g9g
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

GLOL!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yeah i loved the original wheels too Steve but needs must, i can't put 224lbs.ft through 195's lol

Great video, reminds me of Denos 1.5 hunting down a Corvette Z06 that had a 10 second head start on him :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12wfwdn_rM
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

ooo not sure on the blended arches but other than that looks like a fantastic project :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

These things always look crap in the early stages, fully prepped and painted is totally different, i could have gone rivet look arches but wanted a more OEM look than that. My front arches are only 3/4" wider than stock.

Let's see what she looks like painted.

My extended 5th gear set has now been fitted to the Rev3 Mk2 gearbox, £190 for two gears from Toyota (from the Avensis Diesel), this will drop cruising RPM in fifth from 4000rpm @ 80mph down to 3200rpm @ 80mph , with a new theoretical top end speed of 165mph (in a Mk1, no ta!) :)

dawesy

Post by dawesy »

another quality project paul :thumleft:
cant wait to see this one done, i like what your doing and i understand why your using a clean MK1 rather than one that needs a shed load of panel work.
loving the look especially as it has an air of factory standard about it.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I've already built dozens of roadster projects Toni, 3vz, 1mz and 2gr engined... do you mean for myself?

Yes, exactly. Some of the wide bodied mean engined ones I've seen recently have made my heart palpatate in a way MK1s can't anymore!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks Dawesy.

Toni the Mk1 still gives me that fuzzy feeling and i suspect always will, i've owned a Mk3 for a few years, and even the V6 ones, although great, don't light my fire like a well sorted Mk1 can.

There is just something very special about a Mk1 that the Mk2 and Mk3 haven't got.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

There is just something very special about a Mk1 that the Mk2 and Mk3 haven't got.

Its the fantastic 80's body styling :thumleft:

Another top project to watch, just don't let it get in the way of the V8 finishing
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I've always thought buy the best base car you can. (budget permitting)

I love it and or those not liking the kit at the min remember you have to break a few eggs to make a fried egg sandwich \:D/

:thumleft: from me

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou kind sir.

Today saw the first layer of Fibral put into the rear arch, this gives it the correct slope and a ton of strength, from here on this will get sanded to the correct contour and light layers of filler used after that to get the finished arch. My rear wheels are badly in need of a refurb.

The front arches need only minimal work as they have the correct arch slope to start with.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”