[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine Oil light comes on after 30secs or so....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Amebb

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine Oil light comes on after 30secs or so....

Post by Amebb »

Can anyone help me here ?

My engine oil light comes on after about 30 seconds with engine running.

There is oil in the engine as i have checked it on the dipstick.

I have also done a complete oil change and filter change.

The oil i am using is 10-40 semi synthetic.

Can anyone help me out on this please...?

Thanks
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
2tmike

oil pressure

Post by 2tmike »

hi, is it a rev1 or 2 car and does the light just flick on and then go off again ?
if so it just might be oil draining out of the filter. Mine used to do this under some conditions....
Draven

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine Oil light comes on after 30secs or so....

Post by Draven »

Did you prefill the Oil filter before you put it on..

the oil filter does take a while to soak up all the oil might just be a little glitch.. Check your oil levels.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

remove the oil pressure switch which is the round thing thats screwed in to the head just on the side corner up from the dizzy. put a lot of rag around it!! and get someone to fire up the engine. You should have oil come out of there pretty fast after only a couple of seconds, soon as you have oil gush out, switch it off.

If no oil gushes out then you have engine trouble of some kind, -oil pump, pickup tube prob, blockage etc etc ??
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You would see it much better if you just put a finger over the hole, it will spray everywhere................... :D
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi guys

I did some work on my car today..... took the oil presure switch out, got wifey to start the car and oil was squirting out fast.

Could the sensor be faulty or the wrong one...???

cheers
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Seems like it could be a dodgy sensor or wiring then. What you should really do now to be 100% sure you dont have an oil pressure peoblem is rig up a oil pressure gauge to the hole that you removed the switch from and check its within the correct pressures.
stuart forsyth

Post by stuart forsyth »

Is it the Oil Low light <The Yellow one on it's own>
or
the Red Oil Pressure light <Within the light cluster>
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi its the yellow oil light - the top up light.

Comes on after about 20 - 30secs after engine has started .

Thanks
aliendoughnut

Post by aliendoughnut »

sounds like the sensor i had the same trouble you could replace it or just keep an eye on the oil level
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

Hi thanks for your replies.

I think i might know what it is that is causing the problem with the low engine oil light comming on after 20-30secs.

Originally, my car had the 3sge engine and now it has the 3sgte engine.

Now, i may be wrong when i say this... BUT, the 3sge engine had a connector going to the bottom of the oil sump where it had an oil level sensor fitted.

On my engine(3sgte), i dont have the oil sensor fitted and if the connector to the sensor isnt bridged or connected it will then make the low engine oil light come on.

So, if i find the connector and then bridge that connection then the low oil light should not come on at all.

If i am right then i have found the answer to my problem, if not... lol i still have the problem.

Cheers

Return to “Mechanical”