[Mk2] [Turbo] Help! Ignition is staying on! :(

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help! Ignition is staying on! :(

Post by dellams »

I hope someone can help me. After my bat started draining over night, I have been trying to figure out what has been draining my bat and finally found it is because the ignition is staying on since the green circle around the ignition stays on all of the time, whilst driving and after the car is not running, locked and alarm armed. I check the bat negative with a multimeter and it was reading between 6 and 11 volts showing something is defintley draining the bat.

How do I go about fixing the ignition issue? I presume some wiring somewhere must be shorting or something?

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

Cheers
D.
Rev3 TURBO TBAR running aprox 280bhp @ 1bar (320bhp after re-map soon...)
DB1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help! Ignition is staying on! :(

Post by DB1 »

have you changed anything recently, ie fitted a new stereo or anything?
to stop it draining, until you find out what is causing it to stay on, you could just disconnect the ligh-up ring?
dellams

Post by dellams »

Do you think that could stop the drain? Hopefully that is the only thing that would be drawing power with the ignition left on?

No, not changed anything since I bough the car about 6 months ago now, it has been fine up to recently. So not sure what's changed, probably a loose connection or something shorting somewhere?

God knows how its all been wired up, was done by the previous owner and I know the wiring is a bit dodgey, some of the interior lights come on and off such as the cabin light and the light behind the heater controls. Maybe this could be related too?

Also one of my side lights and a brake light is out, could that maybe be related too?
dellams

Post by dellams »

So how do you disconnect the ignition ring?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

PM me and I will talk you through disconnecting your ignistion ring light, but it would only be a very minimal drain and I would be amazed if that was your issue.

All of my electrics were staying on in my car even when the car was turned off and key out.

It turned out that it was because my car was very badly earthed and had been shorting out somewhere. Buy yourself 10 earthing cables (I used heavy duty battery negative cables), replace the originals and add a few more in - I would be amazed if this didnt sort out your issues.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok thanks, so where do I attach all of these cables? Got any pics or diagrams? And clear steps to follow? That would be great thanks! :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”