[Mk2] [Turbo] Alloy crank pulley !!!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tarmac terrorist

[Mk2] [Turbo] Alloy crank pulley !!!!

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Right I have fitted a billet alloy crank pulley to my 2 it's been on there for a while now, but after hearing horror story's of cranks cracking & possibly the alloy one is the cause I am going to go back to standard, the problem is the part number for the mr2 engine is different to the celica st185 celica which is the base engine I'm using ,my question is what would you go for!!!
The only difference I can think is the 185 takes vibration from the transfer box as well & also runs the power steering as well, what would you choose,sw20 or st185 crank pulley ( they are different prices also but not worried about that) :-k :thumleft:
adam3442

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Alloy crank pulley !!!!

Post by adam3442 »

I heard too many horror stories about alloy crank pulleys and didn't want to take the risk. For the gain you'll get over a stock harmonic balancer is it worth the risk?

I had my whole crank assembly balanced, obviously including the crank pulley and harmonic balancer, for me that was the best option not wanting to risk a failing alloy crank pulley or any damage as a result of one. :thumleft:
sidewaysmk2tubby

Post by sidewaysmk2tubby »

This is the same route i am going to take, the pics of split cranks was enough to make me steer clear. Although im told if you did install an alloy crank pulley and then had the crank balanced with this it should help. (still a risk with no harmonic balancer)

Still going for an oem one though as dont fancy another rebuild.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

yeah we don't use them much
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

The ST185 pulley has one smaller pulley for the alternator belt. It isn't a direct fit if the alternator is located in the stock mr2 location. You could use an ST185 and get a different alternator belt, but personally I'd say go sw20
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...

Return to “Modifications”