Emissions Problems AGAIN!!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wlsmith

Re: Emissions Problems AGAIN!!!!

Post by wlsmith »

Ok, I have ordered:

NGK Iridium Grade 6 Plugs.
Magnecor HT lead set
Dizzy cap & rotor arm
New Airfilter..

These should be arriving tomorrow.. I will fit them and then we shall see what happens, looking through the vehicle service history... it looks like these items have never been replaced!! Last time plugs were done was over 2 years ago along with air filter!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

wlsmith wrote:Ok, I have ordered:

NGK Iridium Grade 6 Plugs.
Magnecor HT lead set
Dizzy cap & rotor arm
New Airfilter..

These should be arriving tomorrow.. I will fit them and then we shall see what happens, looking through the vehicle service history... it looks like these items have never been replaced!! Last time plugs were done was over 2 years ago along with air filter!

:clap: Not cheap I know, but you'll benefit in the long run.
wlsmith

Post by wlsmith »

When i was driving it today it seemed a bit sluggish, I don't know if its just me thinking that though because its been having problems recently!
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

How are you getting on with this mate?
I hope its all fixed, Have you tried resetting the ECU after fitting all that stuff? I always feel like my car runs better after this, probably all in the head though.

Cheers, Michael.
Lewis Jay

Re:

Post by Lewis Jay »

wlsmith wrote:Emissions figures are as follows:

Fast idle test - FAIL
CO - Max .30% - 0.30% - PASS
HC Max 200PPM - 30PPM - PASS
Lambda - 0.97 - 1.03 - 2.05 - FAIL

Second fast idle test
CO - .21% PASS
HC - 17ppm - PASS
Lambda 1.02 - PASS

Natural idle test

CO - Max 0.50% - 1.61% - FAIL

Airfilter hasnt been changed for over a year, also Havent changed rotor arm or dizzy cap but getting no running problems

I MOT cars, that car has failed its first fast idle test probably due to the car being cold and the guy "jumping the gun" when starting the test.

If the second fast idle test CO jumped from .21% to 1.61% then the guy MOT`ing the car must have gone off doing something instead of looking the machine as its about 10 seconds between those two test if you press the buttons immediatly and there should have been no way it would have jumped that high so quickly under normal conditions.

With those readings a decent MOT`er would not have needed to do much with the car to get it to pass (e.g slight rev of the engine to get the lambda down) and if he did fail it then he should really have told you what he thought needed replacing to fix the issue.

Lewis.
wlsmith

Post by wlsmith »

Right... update on this... fitted the new set of iridium plugs, old ones looked quite black upon removal! Fitted a new air filter, again the old one looked quite clogged!. Removed the dizzy cap.. the old one was absolutely knackered!! and the rotor arm was badly burnt!! Put the new ones on took it for a drive.. the difference was incredible so much more power than previously and no sluggish idle etc.. and best of all it now has 1 years MOT :D
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

wlsmith wrote:Right... update on this... fitted the new set of iridium plugs, old ones looked quite black upon removal! Fitted a new air filter, again the old one looked quite clogged!. Removed the dizzy cap.. the old one was absolutely knackered!! and the rotor arm was badly burnt!! Put the new ones on took it for a drive.. the difference was incredible so much more power than previously and no sluggish idle etc.. and best of all it now has 1 years MOT :D

Well done. 1st thing we do when a car just fails on emissions is give it a good service :thumleft:
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

wlsmith wrote:Right... update on this... fitted the new set of iridium plugs, old ones looked quite black upon removal! Fitted a new air filter, again the old one looked quite clogged!. Removed the dizzy cap.. the old one was absolutely knackered!! and the rotor arm was badly burnt!! Put the new ones on took it for a drive.. the difference was incredible so much more power than previously and no sluggish idle etc.. and best of all it now has 1 years MOT :D

Good job. :thumleft:
dan4

Post by dan4 »

It would seem this car is doomed on emissions.....

Failed emissions again last week, with high lambda and high co2 again. Again got code 25 stored. Cold idle is 2000rpm which id given up trying to fix but I think its all related. Currently its had the following:

Dizzy cap
Rotor arm
Dizzy complete
Ignitor
Coil
Plugs
Oxy sensor not genuine
Throttle body complete
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel rail
Fuel injectors

Pick away at that because im thoroughly stumped! Also get a slight hesitation around 2000 when cold and shortly after a cold start if you try to blip throttle the revs drop momentarily before rising. Currently getting 230-250 miles to tank
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Blocked iscv pipe and it stalls straight away, no vac leaks

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”