[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 3SGTE engine out service

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 3SGTE engine out service

Post by Jaspa »

I've got a decent 3SGTE sat in the shed and I intend to tidy it up and give it a once over before sticking it in the back on my Mk1.

So, What would everyone recommend as far as a decent service goes?

I'm guessing
Cambelt
Oil Pump
Water Pump

And looking to whip the cam/rocker cover off for a polish/spray so will replace the gasket and bolts here

But what else is worth doing while the engine is out?

Ta

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
craig_mr2_mk1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 3SGTE engine out service

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

I'd change the clutch and head gasket for a revision 3 mls gasket as the composite gasket will more than likely blow at some point. Also I'd make sure you buy cambelt and tensioner whilst your doing the belt. At least then in theory you should have 60k miles before you'll need to touch the engine except for regular oil and filter changes.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Thanks Craig,

Clutch is already out as Engine is on a stand at the moment. The clutch has plenty of meat left and is an Exedy jobby so going to put that back in.

The headgasket is already cometic and also has ARP headbolts so that should be covered.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Whilst you have it on a stand get yourself some plastigage and check the bottom end shells. Also check thrust play (there are thrust bearings on one of the crank journals)
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I'd also do the hoses from hell, exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets, injector and fuel rail 'o' rings, distributor 'o' ring, and probably the crank seals.

Might be a bit overkill, but you'll kick yourself if you don't do that lot - and get a problem later on :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

...and check your shim clearances :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”