Reverse light problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mlhs

Reverse light problem

Post by mlhs »

Hi all,

Was informed that my reverse lights were out, thought it was strange that they both went out at the same time, but assumed it would just be the bulbs. Thought i would double check which type i needed to save a return trip if i got the wrong ones.

This is where i found both bulbs were fine, i swapped them over with the indicator bulbs to confirm they were still fully functional. I recently had my clutch done, could there be something they havent connected back up causing this to happen?

I thought it may be the fuse? I have done a search and using a diagram from this thread;

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... e+location

If i have checked the correct ones, according to this should be 9,10 then the fuse in 9 is fine but there is no fuse in 10. However they both worked before i had the clutch done, and i dont think the garage would remove fuses, and even if they did not replace or return them.

Could someone please confirm which fuse is for the reverse lights, or any suggestions that i could try before taking it back to the garage.

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Reverse light problem

Post by Peter Gidden »

Reverse light switch comes immediately to mind.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Indeed, or more likely the plug on the switch corroded/broken (top of gearbox).

Note you don't legally have to have reverse lights, though obviously useful at this time of year.
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

Good to know that it's not illegal to drive like this, what's the best way to eliminate either of the above? Need to get under the car to check the to check the gear box. Where is the reverse light switch located?
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

They haven't plugged it back in when you had your clutch done,

look for a white connector that comes out the gear box near it will be the other end, plug it in hey presto your reverse lights will work

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

Thanks they did plug it it but bent a connector, but all sorted now.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”