[Mk2] [Turbo] tyre help please

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

badger109

[Mk2] [Turbo] tyre help please

Post by badger109 »

hi
Am new to the site, so sorry if this is in the wrong section or already posted somewhere else

Anyways i have a 94 rev 3 turbo mr2 with standard wheels, but i need some new tyres and as bridgestone no longer do them in my size i wondered what other brands where available and a good tyre, could people let me know so i can replace the tyres and get my car back on the road, the present tyres are front 195-55-15 rear 225-50-15 i would like to keep the same sizes if possible, or if someone has some blitz wheels, types 03 for sale let me know

anyway thanks hope to hear from someone
Baker

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] tyre help please

Post by Baker »

tyres are limited in this size, and now more companies are dropping their range.
But the Toyo T1R you can get in both sizes, and thats your best bet. the only thing is its a comfort tyre and the sidewalls can be a little soft, but an extra psi or two and its fine.

Go to http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/ ... -Turbo.htm for specific reviews for mr2 tyres.
badger109

Post by badger109 »

Hi thanks for the reply, it seems if you want the same brand all round there are limited tyres, i am looking at the TOYO T1-R PROXES, I like the BF GOODRICH G-FORCE but they dont appear to be available in the UK !!!

I should have up graded to the Blitz 03 wheels i wanted years ago when they could still be bought for an arm and a leg, sadly they dont make them anymore and they are the ones i always wanted, so will probably have to settle for new 15 tyres, i did have BRIDGESTONE SO2 on , infact still do !! shows how much i used the car since i bought it.
Baker

Post by Baker »

ive going to be using the SO2 soon for the rears, reviews are good, what do you think?

btw, there's no harm in having different tyres on the front than the rear, may help with the choices.
badger109

Post by badger109 »

hi
i know they dont make so2 anymore its s03 now and thats if they still make them, if i could get bridgestones to fit the 15 inch wheel i would buy them tomorrow,they were the best tyres for wet weather stoping in a shorter distance in the wet than most tyres did in the dry apparently

as for mixing the tyres i was always told put the same type all round or you can get handling problems and also keep the size ratio's that are already on the front and back, although some say use a 205 on the front
Baker

Post by Baker »

No mixing tyres on each axle, front and rear is ok.
Harold

Post by Harold »

It's ok to have different tyres front to back, but if I was buying fronts and rears then I'd want them to be the same. However the choice of tyres in standard sizes is shocking, especially the rears, camskill is showing only 5 options in 225/50/15 and all of them are out of stock and none of them are especially good. This is one of the reasons I got bigger wheels.

Return to “Mechanical”