Converting reverse light to a fog light using LED?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Converting reverse light to a fog light using LED?

Post by craig »

Having a search around and couldn't really find anything on this.

Want to keep the 4 tail/brake light set up independent (but don't want diodes or any of that sort of thing to double up the brake light filament as a fog etc)

So wondered how people got on with fitting a red 24 LED bulb (or similar) in the reverse light housing and the MOT? Reason for LED is that a normal 21W red filament bulb is too pink.

Any input appreciated, thanks :thumleft:
uglee

Re: Converting reverse light to a fog light using LED?

Post by uglee »

No reason why it shouldn't work, beauty with LED's is they are clear until illuminated so no reddish hue from behind the lense.

It'd probably best to make up your own array with a bit of Vero board and pack the LED's in. You'll need quite intense LED's and usually the more intense the lower the viewing angle. This can be compensated somewhat with a dense array of LED's. I've thought about it lots of times, but just never got around to it.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

My rev3 came with a 21w red 382 bulb like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P21W-BA15s ... 4836e7b97b in the reversing light and it passed two mot's before I removed it and made one of the brake lights double up as a fog.
Last edited by madbasshunter on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Tried a reverse light bulb with red tint paint and it came out a bit pink,not good enough for mot :(
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

My rev1 has this done to it as hanging down light looks awful, but then mine is rather pinkish but my tester is fine with it.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
craig

Post by craig »

Cheers for the replies fellas :thumleft:

The bulb I have fitted is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230432418385

Pretty intense, and as said, with the LED being clear until lit you can't see the red tinge behind the lense, as you do with a red bulb, and also it doesn't shine pinkish light.

Just not had it MOT'd like this, should be fine though, fingers crossed. :thumleft:
Meko

Post by Meko »

Phill P wrote:Tried a reverse light bulb with red tint paint and it came out a bit pink,not good enough for mot :(

Funny you say that; a few years ago I had after market rear lights put on my Golf which had no fog light. The garage failed it but then painted a reverse light red and wired it as a fog light - and passed it. The following year they failed it because the fog light wasn't red enough.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”