Questions from a new owner

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dan
Premium Member

Questions from a new owner

Post by Dan »

Hello,

Recently picked up a rev5 MK2 and have a few questions that lurking/searching hasn't really resolved. Apologies if I'm just being inept with the searches, please point me to the right threads if so :wink:

1) Cancer bars - is there any other source for new replacements than Mr. T?

2) Dial illumination - I have the red/white dials and need to turn the adjustment knob up to full to get them readable at night. Illumination is even but dull. Has a DPO fitted the wrong bulb at some stage? How easy is it to access the bulb?

3) BGB - I have paper copies for my MK1 and like these. I see many CD copies of manuals on eBay - are these simple image scans of the paper BGBs or proper searchable PDFs? Are they all available for download anyway?!

4) EPC - I have a copy of the EPC CDs from the early 1990's, which cover everything i need for my MK1, but obviously not this later MK2. Were these available with rev5 details or had Toyota moved on by then?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.
Slarty

Re: Questions from a new owner

Post by Slarty »

Dan wrote:
1) Cancer bars - is there any other source for new replacements than Mr. T?

Not that I know of although good second hand ones do come up for sale on here from time to time.

Dan wrote:
2) Dial illumination - I have the red/white dials and need to turn the adjustment knob up to full to get them readable at night. Illumination is even but dull. Has a DPO fitted the wrong bulb at some stage? How easy is it to access the bulb?

I had the same problem after fitting EL glow dials. There are 4 bulbs behind the dash, I think they're 501 bulbs (been a while since I did it) which are, I think, 1.8W as standard. Halfords do increased wattage versions, 2.2W, 2.5W etc. I think I went for 2.2W. The clocks don't take long to get out, once you know how. Have a search, I'm sure someone posted a guide on how to do it.

Dan wrote:
3) BGB - I have paper copies for my MK1 and like these. I see many CD copies of manuals on eBay - are these simple image scans of the paper BGBs or proper searchable PDFs? Are they all available for download anyway?!

I've seen a few people make mention of the BGB online, and I'm sure someone has it on disc. Try popping up a wanted add.

Dan wrote:
4) EPC - I have a copy of the EPC CDs from the early 1990's, which cover everything i need for my MK1, but obviously not this later MK2. Were these available with rev5 details or had Toyota moved on by then?

The only online EPC that I know of covers Rev2/3 turbos. Toxo has a complete one though, I think, but I've no idea how he came by it. It might be worth pm'ing him and asking nicely :)

Oh and welcome to the club :thumleft:
Dan
Premium Member

Re: Questions from a new owner

Post by Dan »

Thanks Slarty, much appreciated.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”