CLUTCH Identification? Which to buy?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo_Jet

CLUTCH Identification? Which to buy?

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Hi,

I’m 99% sure I have a MK1b engine in my MK1a but how can I be sure, looking at the gearbox, before I order a replacement clutch at either 212mm for the B or 200mm for the A?

Also, I’m after a standard spec decent quality clutch so was thinking of Camskill 212mm one for £76.60? http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2375p115 ... 84_to_1990

OR is it worth paying £155.94 for a Fensport one? http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_21/Category_3/691

Anything else I should consider while I’m doing it? Can’t stretch to a Fidanza flywheel sadly! ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice! :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: CLUTCH Identification? Which to buy?

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Always a bu88er when there's an engine swap. Cassi's old C reg Mk1 had a later spec corolla engine swapped into it, so we bought a later spec clutch, however the old flywheel had been swapped over. #-o

I'm not sure if there's any way to be sure without removing the gearbox. :-k
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Well I understand that the engine came from a T-Bar, which would be a Mk1b engine and therefore presumably mean a MK1b gearbox as well? All the visual clues on the engine, throttle body, rocker covers, ribs on the block etc etc all say that it's a B engine but does that automatically means it's a B gearbox as well? Are they interchangeable?

As with any swap that you don't do yourself, and this was done five years ago, you can't say exactly what has been used as I hadn't even considered the possibility of the the flywheel being swapped? :-k
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Unfortunately the gear boxes and flywheels are interchangable. #-o If it's got a Mk1b box then I'd say it's more than likely you have a mk1b clutch & flywheel on there. :-k

IIRC the Mk1b box has a bulge in the bell housing on the front (Mr2 fittment) and rear (corrolla fitment) for the starter motor.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Oh well that’s a start, thanks! :thumleft:

Anyone got any photos or diagrams of said ‘bulge’ which I can use to identify the bell housing with?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Im in the process of finding out more info about a black diamond organic clutch for £175 - but i have just bought a fidanza which is the reason for the uprated clutch.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:Well I understand that the engine came from a T-Bar, which would be a Mk1b engine

Not necessarily some T-bars are changeover cars it's possible it could be a 1a engine. Does it have a yellow sensor screwed into the intake plenum (where it says TVIS) ? if so it would indicate a 1a but as said the only real way to be sure would be to measure the clutch plate.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

jimi wrote:Does it have a yellow sensor screwed into the intake plenum?

I'll check when I get back to my car tonight but from memory I think it does? However, it is running (I believe) a MK1a ECU, loom and injectors. So would that mean the yellow MK1a sensor was retained also?
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

There's only one sure fire way to know which you've got and that's to get at it and check it. I had a later clutch and flywheel on my engine even though the engine is clearly Mk1a. This is the problem with the 86 cross-over cars. As it happens, I now have an early lightweight flywheel and an early clutch - at least I think it is!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

If it has the mk1a loom the inlet manifold would have been retained and the yellow air temp sensor as well. Unless they botched it and left it unplugged.

My 87 T-bar had a later spec bottom end/flywheel, yellow air temp sensor and later spec injectors (pink), bit of an a/b hybrid. :lol:

Here's a good piccy of the C52 bell housing

Google image 'toyota C50 gearbox' for the Mk1a. :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My advice would be don't order a clutch until you have the old one in your hand, these cars have had far too many engine/gearbox changes in their 25 year life to know 100% which one it has.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Thanks Paul, I beginning to think that might be the only way to be sure!

Unfortunately it's my every day drive so that's not really an option for me so I’m going to have to take an educated guess on which one it’s likely to be, buy it, give it to the garage and hope for the best. :pray: If it’s wrong I’ll just have to pay them to do it again once I have the right clutch and then ebay my spare one.

I took some photos of my engine bay this morning to see if this helps anyone identify my gearbox as I’m really not sure what I’m looking for. Stupidly I took a picture of the engine and intake but then some how managed to delete it when transferring it to my PC #-o but I can say that I do have the yellow air temp sensor as Limey suggested. So it looks like I have a MK1b engine, but MK1a ECU, loom, injectors and intake manifold but a MK1b throttle body! What a Heinz 57! :lol:

Anyway, here’s my gear box…

Does than help anyone?

Thanks!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Looks C52 ish, on the second picture, lower right, you can see the gearbox bell housing. It looks like it has the left had 'mickey mouse ear' from the piccy I posted, that's the best bit to look at to ID the box.

I reckon if it has a C52 it's about 90+% chance of having a larger clutch, unless someone believed the rubbish about the Mk1a flywheel being lighter. :lol:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Thanks Limey! :) Having a quick look at my gear box again I think it does have the two 'mickey mouse ears' so it looks like it is a C52 and so logically more likely to have the 212mm flywheel?

In which case I'll just take a chance on a 212mm clutch and see how we go. So does anyone have any top recommendations for a MK1b 212mm clutch? ;)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I'd risk a 212 clutch personally Jim. :thumleft:

I'd look at an Exedy clutch, or possibly Valeo. I've used the former and have been recommended the latter as a decent brand. Last Exedy I bought (couple of years ago) cost about £80 off the fleabay.

I've also used Blueprint clutches which seem to do the job alright. :mrgreen:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Yep, that looks like the one. :thumleft:
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Could you get both sizes from your local motor factor, then return the one you don't need?

The one I tend to use (L&R Norwich) are usually happy to do this & supply Blueprint parts as a rule.

Might be worth trying your local one?
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Well I've gone for the 212mm Exedy so let's see how we go! :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Has anyone used Black Diamond clutches before?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”