[Mk2] [NA] Battery problem or something else ? (electrics just cut out)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobPhoboS

[Mk2] [NA] Battery problem or something else ? (electrics just cut out)

Post by RobPhoboS »

Just driving back home, and about a mile or so away from home I noticed my lights weren't working in the cabin, then the rev & speed gauge weren't. They were fluttering, and just as I was pulling up the power steering had gone.
My first though is the battery is flat or one of the terminal connections is loose. But the connections are ok, so is it likely to be a flat battery or a dying one ?

I had problems recently with it just randomly being flat but I found that it was just the connection previously (bumps in the road loosened them).
RobPhoboS

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Battery problem or something else ? (electrics just cut out)

Post by RobPhoboS »

Well I've got the battery charging now, but I can only guess that it's either the alternator or the battery ?
I've got to drive up to Birmingham tomorrow morning from Guildford, I'll have the charger with me but I seriously hope it lasts ](*,)
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Sorry to reply again but have to work this out ASAP !

Battery charged, and installed, lights have come on the dash after firing it up once, I'll try it again later perhaps but think it's going to have to be down at 3S:

Discharge Warning Light
Cat High Temperature Warning Light (not sure why it's on, no CAT)
Engine Compartment Cooling Fan Warning Light
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Sounds like the alternator has failed, or there is a wire that comes off of the alternator that can sometimes burn out (I think!).

There are a good few threads on this, have a search.
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Slarty wrote:Sounds like the alternator has failed, or there is a wire that comes off of the alternator that can sometimes burn out (I think!).

There are a good few threads on this, have a search.

Cheers, I'll have a sniff about but I was starting to think it was likely to be the alternator. Not much I can do about it now I guess, and luckily I've found a lift for tomorrow :o (lucky it happened here).
+ I was planning a trip to 3S as well :thumleft:

The only trouble is, they are about 40mins from me, so I think I may need to order one and fart about with it myself, not looking forwards to that as my one is 'special'.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Get a multimeter on the batt terminals while the engine is running

If its in the high 13s+ then the alternator charging circuit is running - should read 14ish

If not then as above, check the wires to the alternator but don't poke what you don't know and take it to 3s.
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Literally about to go out there now and have a sniff about.
I've had to adjust it before (incorrect bolts were put on it), and then earlier in the year 3S also adjusted, and tightened it back up for me whilst doing some other bits :thumleft: (so shouldn't be a slack belt).

I don't think I have a multimeter here, will have to check... will one like this do the job ?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/general-purpose ... eter-25414

Whilst I'm looking underneath it, I'll check to see what connections are on there, guessing the oval one (december 93 car) just in case I need to buy a new alternator.

Just another question.
How far do you think the car will go without the alternator working and the battery fully charged ?
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Think I've found the problem...

Alternator belt :lol:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Belt replaced but the lights have appeared again.
I guess this means new alternator time, as the cables seemed to still be attached fine, although the belt was spinning properly which is weird.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

RobPhoboS wrote:
Just another question.
How far do you think the car will go without the alternator working and the battery fully charged ?

I got 52 miles, no indication or radio.

Fueling and power steering will tend to die first. Got quite boggy around 45 miles.

and any £4 meter will do, mine was £3.99. Long as you can read volts.

I though had a dodgey connection on mine. I got told by someone who I trust very well, he said to link an old batt up to jumper cables and zap the alternator into life.

Worked. Suprisingly. Although you could fry many things I wouldn't recommend that at all. It was the last resort after spending 5 hours replacing the damn thing.
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Cheers for the reply :thumleft:

I managed 15 miles after the battery was fully charged :shock:
I had borrowed a spare battery, so thought I could chuck it in when the other one ran out but the spare one was knackered...ended up with a fooking nasty bill from the AA ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I *think* I have the original alternator on the car, so it's done plenty of miles but I'm still a bit confused why the lights are coming up on the dash if it's spinning the belts properly. :-k

Return to “Mechanical”