Poxy soddin balljoints! How the hell do you get them orfff!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g.lewarne

Re: Poxy soddin balljoints! How the hell do you get them orfff!

Post by g.lewarne »

T.F.S. wrote:be careful when heating....

they can pretty much explode and come flying out...

when i did mine i left the securing bolts for the ball joint itself on, i loosened them but left them holding the balljoint in place on the strut. when they popped all that happened was the lower arm went down, no danger of balljoint/face interfacing that way :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well, I have got them off now! borrowed a scissor tool from a workshop .. The tool did the job in no time! However, this was no ordinary scissor tool ;D

Tadaaaa!

The workshop is for our lorries and thats the smallest they had :D the top bolt head was 24mm just to get an idea on the size :D

Thanks for all the help with this anyways :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nicely done \:D/

Exactly the same tool I used on mine, I had it all lined up in the vice with the ball joint facing an old bucket full of sand- just as well: when they finally let go they pretty much exploded out like bullets :lol:
vmaxnick

ball joints

Post by vmaxnick »

You're hitting the wrong bit! You don't hit the thread, you hit the arm itself where the taper sits in. get a glamorous assistant to apply leverage between the arm and the ball, hold a big hammer against one side of the arm and hit the arm right on the taper seat with a smaller hammer. It will pop right out. If it doesn't, as someone else suggested, you aren't hitting it hard enough.
If this method won't shift it, a balljoint splitter won't either.
Try to do it with one big hit rather than lots of little blows to avoid damage to the arm.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i use the tool above :mrgreen:
failed first time then when i did have more time it come off when i found a better position to place it

and you need the heavy duty version
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

i have snapped those splitters in half too...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”