MR2 and wind.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Re: MR2 and wind.

Post by HighwayStar »

You make a good point.... mind you not the worst drive in the 2... no hills.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Not stable over 120mph? I say that's not the car feeling out of its comfort zone.

My rev3 tubby feels as stable at 120 as it does at 60! Great high speed cruiser.
phipck

Post by phipck »

lol yeh the Netherlands is a bit of a trek but hell would it be fun..... under 120mph of course :lol:

the tyre pressure thing is the most apparent one at the moment, I did a lot of experimenting with pressures for mine, starting at 28 psi for the front and 32 psi for the rear. Obviously having 17" wheels and coilovers effects what my personal best for my rev2 N/A g-ltd (mentioning that because of weight differences) was.
I tried 30 psi all round, 26/30, 28/32, 30/34 etc and systematically going through as many possabilities as i could, making notes and i found that 29psi front (2 bar) and 34 psi rear (2.35 bar) provides me with good grip up front without any sag at the rear over bumps and the car feels poised and evenly weighted. 36 psi will most likely make the front wander around a little at speed and seeing as air is free i too would start here to improve the feel of your car, it certainly suprised me what a difference a couple of psi can make!
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Moo wrote:2.5 bar = 36psi which sounds a little high to me. What make tyres do you have?

Rule of thumb is a 4psi difference between front and rear pressures with rears at the higher pressure. Stock rev3 tubby pressure on stock 15" rims is 29psi front, 33psi rear.

Front Hankook Icebears
Rear Nexen N2000
:oops: :mrgreen:

The reason why I've put higher pressure, is because it's much more comfortable when going over speedbumps.
They renewed the road which I have to follow every day to my work.
A 5km stretch going from wide open and 80KM/H, to 60KM/H with 10 speedbumps and 3 refuges.
And not even a town/city road. It's an outer road connecting 2 towns. #-o

But I'll try lowering to 2bar and 2,3bar instead. :thumleft:
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

It will never be a high speed stability machine i'm afraid without significant aero mods - just the nature of the beast. Most mid engined cars are the same.

I've tried dialling it out with alignment settings but even with running 3.5 degrees caster on the front it dosen't feel as planted at speed as say, a Porsche 944.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”