Hen's Teeth, Rockinghorse Poo, and Mk1's?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cartledge_uk

Re: Hen's Teeth, Rockinghorse Poo, and Mk1's?

Post by cartledge_uk »

AdamP wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:

Isnt there also a law about insurance too? I know they are trying to stop uninsured drivers, but kit car makers and people will "spares" cars are the ones that are going to get hit I bet.

Why's that? Either your car is on the road, taxed and insured or its not and therefore SORNed :)

see link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/824 ... -road.html

Although this could be the SORN thing that KAIOWAS refers too.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

kaiowas wrote:Makes it difficult to take a car off the road for a couple of weeks when the insurance expires too.

Say for example you have a spare second car. The insurance expires but seeing as you're a little short of cash and you don't anticipate needing the car anyway you decide to park it on your drive for a couple of weeks until payday before reinsuring it. Previously you could do this and leave it taxed (after all there's no point cashing in the tax disc if it's only for a couple of weeks). Under the new system you are now legally obliged to post your tax disc off, and declare SORN.

Should your main car then develop a problem, under the previous rules you could make a quick call to your insurers, get the second car insured with immediate effect and you're back on the road. Under the new rules you've now got wait for your SORN declaration to be processed before you're allowed to buy a tax disc (with the added bonus of paying a second time for the same months tax because you don't get refunded for a part month).

In a case like that I'd bung in an online SORN when the insurance expired
but be a bit slow returning the tax disc

DVLA are usually VERY slow if they ever catch up on you. I once ran a taxed & insured car for 8 months with no MOT. Then had it tested. No questions were ever asked

Peter
jimi

Post by jimi »

:? funnily enough VEH0124(taxed) and VEH0125(sorn) seem to have disappeared from the DFT website :?
The Silver Fox

Post by The Silver Fox »

Just had a look Jimi and they are there now
PaulMK1a

Post by PaulMK1a »

The Silver Fox wrote:As a Mk1a owner they are even more unique.
The 1985 + 1986 figures show only 253 taxed and 406 SORN

It's pretty incredible to think that there are less taxed Mk1a's left than will fit in my office car park!
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Top Gear were on about this last night but picked out cars of which there were only 1 left. i.e. Alegro Auto.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”