[FINALIZED] 1994 Caribbean Blue GT-S

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

1994 Caribbean Blue GT-S

Post by toxo »

Here for sale is my MR2 MK2 Turbo GT-S in Caribbean Blue. It's a 1994 car, so 'L' reg and is a tintop. The car is HPI clear (no finance on it and it's never been any category of write off).

Odometer currently reads 88,000 miles. Car was MOTd in November (passed first time with a few advisories which I sorted out) and has just had 6 months tax stuck on it (start of June). It passes MOT tests just fine with no CAT due to its age (no need for a 'friendly' MOT tester).

This car has always served me well, never broken down and has taken me and a passenger to Le Mans 4 years in a row without complaint. It is reliable enough to be my daily driver and only car, as you would expect from a sorted MR2.

The car has 2 keys (one original and one copy) and 2 alarm fobs. I have the pin code for the alarm and thatcham certificate.

Current Spec

As taken from the Pacific Works feature:
http://www.pacific-works.co.uk/car-prof ... p?car=toxo and updated a bit :)

Engine:
ST205 Chargecooler conversion (as documented here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103914 )
ST205 ECU (engine warning lights for chargecooler system and a proven 15bhp power increase + safer fuelling)
Fujitsubo Legalis-R exhaust
Longlife custom 3" stainless midpipe (lifetime warranty on the work transferrable to new owner)
Hayward & Scott flexi pipe
Ceramic coated Blitz cast decat pipe (will NEVER crack)
Ceramic coated turbo elbow
Ceramic coated exhaust manifold
CT20b turbo rebuilt with steel parts, new bearings and seals
Ceramic coated exhaust housing
Polished compressor housing
Gizzmo Phenolic intake spacer
APEXI Super Power intake
HKS SSQV dumpvalve
SFS/Pacific Works intake hose set
GTech fan kit using 2 SPAL fans
SPAL PWM V3 fan controller (variably controls spal fan speeds based on water temp)
TRD Oil cap \:D/
Stef Derner clamping speedo converter and delimiter
New uprated 130A alternator in last 5000 miles
New Halfords high capacity battery in last 7500 miles (still has 2 yrs warranty)

Transmission:
E153 LSD gearbox
TRD torque mounts supplied by Fensport
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel supplied by Century Motorsport
ARP Flywheel Bolts
Goodridge braided clutch hose supplied by bobhatton
Speedsource shifter bearings and base bushes supplied by sbits

Suspension:
Rev1 rebuildable struts
Koni adjustable inserts
TRD top mounts
Eibach springs
All supplied and fitted by Century Motorsport and aligned by Wheels In Motion
Fully polybushed using Prothane polybushes (inc ARBs, as per http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146258 )
Cusco front tension arms and camber adjustment bolts, making the suspension more adjustable

Exterior:
Border style front bumper supplied by Pacific Works
TOMs style sideskirts supplied by JeffD
Genuine Airwalker rear bumper
Raybrig headlamps
96+ clear sidelights
96+ heated retracting mirrors (these are a combination of 96+ UK spec glass and JDM retracting mirrors)
MR2 roadster 'eagle' badge
4-brake light rear conversion, rear fog using a Toyota UKDM rear fog light switch with the UK rear fog indicator in the instrument cluster (i.e. all looks factory)
UK front numberplate mount to maximise airflow to radiators

Brakes and Tyres:
Goodridge braided hoses supplied by bobhatton
Fully refurbished rear OEM brake calipers supplied by Brakes International
Completely rebuilt all the brake sliders and boots and carriers etc with new parts from Toyota, this cars brakes will not stick or jam for years and years to come
Genuine Toyota discs & pads all round (all shims, clips and springs present)
Cusco brake master cylinder stopper
Yokohama Super Advan SA3 16" split rims
20mm hubcentric wheel spacers on the fronts
Falken ZE912 205/45/16 on the fronts
Toyo T1R 225/45/16 on the rears
Rolled rear arches

Interior:
Omori 45mm boost gauge installed in stock location
TRD/Recaro replica heated reclining seats
Black headlining / sun visors
HKS CAMP engine monitoring system
HKS CAMP junction box
HKS CAMP boost pressure sensor
HKS CAMP temperature sensor
TOMs Steering Wheel
TRD gearknob
Rhon leather gearstick and handbrake gaitors
Stainless Steel Dial Rings
Working ice cold air conditioning (uses the newer gas)
Toad Ai606 Thatcham Category 1 alarm
Toad alarm 'security' LED moved into OEM position in instrument cluster (as per http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128031 )
Falcon total closure module (as per http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121197 )
Falcon electronic boot release (can open boot from alarm fob without disarming rest of car)

Audio:
Directed Viper 1200+ monoblock amp with dash control
Soundstream Rubicon 150 amp
Soundstream Power Station distribution
Soundstream 2 Farad power cap
Above all installed in frunk on an easily-removeable amp board, which has additional wiring present so you can remove the amps (spare wheel access, battery access, storage space for holiday) and still use the stereo.

Kenwood DNX-7200 double din touchscreen satnav
Kenwood KCA-BT200 bluetooth hands free module
Focal components
2 x Vibe 10" subwoofers
Reversing camera :lol:

Other Junk:
Has original JDM flare in passenger footwell and most of the original Toyota toolkit. Also has original Toyota optional boot mat and 'Man in Dandism' floormats, all as they were when the car was imported. Space saver spare wheel.

Car has NO ABS, NO AIRBAGS, NO TRACTION/CRUISE CONTROL.

The car has an extra (4th!!) fusebox in the boot, securely housing the electrics for the boot release, chargecooler pump, fan kit and rear foglights.

Currently dyno'd at 284bhp at stock boost at Surrey Rolling Road.

Photos

There are loads of photos of this car on the forum - I've used it to write guides on fitting the chargecooler, polybushes, total closure and other bits and bobs. Where I can find the write ups I've linked to them, so you can see plenty of pictures. Here are a few of the best:

(Current setup is the black line on the dyno output)

After the recent bodyshop work to the front end:

I also have the front foglights (non steering, mounting tabs intact) which were removed to make way for the border front bumper. These are fitted with a £60 set of PIAA bulbs.

History

Imported for me by Tom Solan at Northampton Vehicle Imports in 2006 - see http://www.nvicars.co.uk/ - a reputable importer of MR2s and an affiliate on IMOC. I am the only UK owner (although I think for importing purposes NVI might be listed as an owner). The car had all conversion work required for the SVA carried out by NVI and was converted to MPH at the same time. It was supplied on-the-road, with a full MOT and 6 months tax. When I purchased the car it had covered 53,000 miles. The car was then garaged for a year before I could afford to insure it and use it on the road :oops:

Most cars of this age have a varied history and this one is no exception - it has had a few scrapes! I discovered that it's definitely had some repair work done to it in Japan prior to being imported. However this was done to a very high standard and is nothing to be concerned about. The car's also been in the middle of a 3-car shunt on the M1 - again, repaired to a high standard this time at the bodyshop of my choice. Over £1500 was spent on the car at this time and I have the receipts to prove it in the service history. It does still have some superficial sill damage underneath one of the skirts - both myself and the bodyshop didn't deem this significant enough to warrant cutting the sill to pieces as it hasn't even pierced the paintwork.

The car spent a few months off the road last year, while I got the turbo rebuilt, and the exhaust parts ceramic coated. When it was reassembled it transpired that some rust had fallen from the exhaust manifold into the head and the valves wouldn't seal anymore due to the damage. The head was rebuilt by Pacific Works and the car reassembled. All gaskets in the intake and exhaust system were replaced during this period with new, genuine Toyota parts, and the Hose From Hell was replaced. A Gizzmo phenolic spacer was installed in place of the inlet manifold gasket, to reduce intake charge temps. The injectors were ultrasonically cleaned. The next time I changed the oil on the car I found some swarf in the oil, so I got Rogue (who have now moved quite close to me!) to whip the bottom end apart and check for any damage. The engine came back with a clean bill of health after an oil pump rebuild and has been faultless ever since.

To give you some kind of idea into the way this car has been treated and the money I spend on looking after it, off the top of my head the car has had:

New Toyota sidelights - old ones were mouldy (Jun 2011, £100)
New ignition coil, rotor arm, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter all genuine Toyota (Jun 2011)
New coolant filler neck and radiator cap (Jun 2011)
New front ARB droplinks (Jun 2011, me, £60 - NOT FITTED YET)
Bodyshop paint correction and tidying up the front bumper, and 2 years worth of stone chips / car park dings (Jun 2011, £625)
SPAL fan controller (May 2011, £110)
New wheel bearing (genuine Toyota kit) and wheel alignment performed by WIM (May 2011, £200)
New stainless midpipe made by Longlife Exhausts to replace rotting mild steel Fujitsubo one (May 2011, £246)
Front suspension arms replaced with new genuine Toyota & Cusco adjustable parts (Apr 2011, £850)
Coolant flush with Toyota Longlife and new genuine Toyota thermostat and gasket (Apr 2011, me)
Kenwood KCA-BT200 bluetooth interface fitted (Apr 2011, me, £90)
Uprated 130A alternator from the USA (Apr 2011, me, £150)
Engine bearings and head inspection, oil flush, new oil + filter etc (March 2011, Rogue Motorsport, £500)
Stef Speedo delimiter installed (March 2011, me, £70)
Oil changed again (+ filter, genuine, Jan 2011)
Complete head rebuild incl acid dip, new seals, pressure test etc and reassembly of engine with newly rebuilt/coated exhausts parts (Nov 2010, Pacific Works, £950) **HFH replaced at this point
Turbo rebuilt by bobhatton and balanced by Universal Turbos (Oct 2010, £300)
Turbo compressor housing polished
Turbo housing, exhaust manifold, turbo elbow and blitz decat ceramic coated (Sep 2010, Zircotec, £350)

Oil + filter, rotor arm, dizzy cap changed, genuine parts (June 2010, me, unknown mileage)

Kenwood stereo fitted (£350, early 2010, me)

New Apexi induction kit filter element (early 2010, me)

New genuine Toyota brake master cylinder (£250, Dec 2009, fitted by me)
DOT5.1 brake fluid flush (as above)
New genuine Toyota ECU water temp sensor (as above)

New genuine Toyota distributor cap (Late 2009 on 72000 miles, fitted by me)
New genuine Toyota rotor arm (as above)
New genuine Toyota HT leads incl. king lead (as above)
New NGK grade 7 spark plugs (as above)
Brakes International refurbished rear brake calipers (as above)
New genuine Toyota rear discs (as above)
New genuine Toyota rear pads (as above)
New Goodridge braided brake hoses (as above)

New genuine Toyota oil pump (late 2009 on 72000 miles, Pacific Works)
New genuine Toyota water pump (as above)
New genuine Toyota driveshaft seals (as above)
New genuine TRD engine torque mounts (as above)
Oil change for 5w40 Fuchs Silkolene Pro S (as above)
New genuine Toyota oil filter (as above)
Fidanza flywheel fitted with ARP flywheel bolts, clutch inspected with "plenty of life left" (as above)
Goodridge braided clutch hose fitted, clutch bled (as above)
Sump and strainer cleaned and refitted (as above)
Gearbox front torque mounting point reinforced (known weakness on E153 gearbox, as above)

Date to be confirmed but around mid 2009, exhaust midpipe flexi section replaced by Hayward and Scott, and additional work done to the mild steel elements of the exhaust by Pacific Works.

New Gates cambelt (May 2009 on 68000 miles, Pacific Works) Note that I was told the cambelt had been changed before importing, but wanted to be extra sure)
Oil change for 5w40 Fuchs Silkolene Pro S (May 2009 on 68000 miles, me)
New genuine Toyota oil filter (as above)
Complete coolant flush using genuine Toyota LongLife coolant (as above)
Gearbox oil change to Redline MT-90 (as above)
An all important magnetic sump plug!

Early 2009 the car was detailed for a whole day by Ben (Tiny) who does 3S/TGT's detailing - results here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114531 This has had a lasting effect on the car and it looks stunning when polished with Autoglym HD Wax as I do. Since then the car's bodywork has been looked after by Towcester Coachworks whos work is excellent.

That's all I can remember for now without going back through the service history but it should be a clear indication that this car has been well looked after. The car has never been drag raced, taken on a track or taken round the 'ring. During my ownership it has always run 99RON fuel (admittedly Tesco's but fuel filters are cheap and there's nowhere else round here with super) and stock boost.

In a nutshell, this is a well sorted rev3 turbo, with a proven history of being well serviced with genuine parts, producing excellent power at stock boost levels, with every common problem that occurs with MK2 MR2s already addressed. The hose from hell has been replaced, the brake sliders and calipers are new, the alternator is new, the droplinks are new, the suspension bushes are new, the ignition coil is new, the turbo seals and valve stem seals are new. There is no rust around the sills or the chassis rails anywhere on the car, even the 'cancer bars' look like new.

I am asking £4000 ONO for the car. It is not 'priced to sell', it is priced at what I value it at. If it doesn't sell it's no skin off my nose ;)

Additionally the car will be present at Duderstadt this year where it can be purchased for €5000 - this includes a bit extra to cover me getting home from Germany without a car!

Please note: This car is not available for collection until the 1st of August. You can come and view, test drive with appropriate insurance, leave a deposit to secure the car prior to then, by arrangement.
Last edited by toxo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
muckyman

Re: [FINALIZED] 1994 Caribbean Blue GT-S

Post by muckyman »

stunning car, and one of the best adverts I have ever read!
I would have this in a flash (if you want to take my Z3M in exchange with cash my way), but I won't hold my breath!!
(advert here if you are interested..
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2905663.htm
Draven

Post by Draven »

Why now.. seriously give me a few more months... :shock: I want this car.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

now that, is how to write a for sale ad :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Wow John, whats brought this on?
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Nice man, nice :thumleft: best colour :wink:

Gotta ask: how much for the legalis? lol
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Wow, I wasn't expecting as much response as I've had - I've been at the Le Mans 24hr the last week and got back to 3 people asking serious questions about it!

I will take some interior shots over the next few days. I will list a few bad points about the car:

While I was in France a lorry kicked up a stone and chipped the front windscreen. It's unfortunately not big enough or in my line of sight for the insurance to replace the windscreen so it will be repaired.

There's a crack in the rear bumper, very thin but maybe 10cm long, just before the rear wheelarch on the driver's side. Again, I'll get some photos of this.

The paint on the engine lid is not so great. It's not that big an issue, a Caribbean Blue turbo engine lid was sold on here just last week for £50.

Honestly those are the only faults I can really pick with the car, and it has just done a 987 mile round trip to the middle of France and back flawlessly.

Prior to the trip I did an oil change, oil filter change, spark plug change, fuel filter change, rotor arm change. I also replaced the coolant filler neck and the radiator cap as both were knackered.

I have updated the original for sale ad also as the car will not be available until the 1st of August.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
paul port

Post by paul port »

So... am I going to end up giving YOU a lift back this year??
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

paul port wrote:So... am I going to end up giving YOU a lift back this year??

There is always that possibility :)
Marky S

Post by Marky S »

Top car and best colour.. GLWTS :thumleft:
prb

Post by prb »

Great car, great owner.
This is one not to miss.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Very nice car! Fancy a swap for an RX8? :-)

Paul.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Paul R wrote:Very nice car! Fancy a swap for an RX8? :-)

Paul.

Tell me more...
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

toxo wrote:
Paul R wrote:Very nice car! Fancy a swap for an RX8? :-)

Paul.

Tell me more...

Whats your email address? drop me a PM and i'll email you details/PH link.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Some people (quite reasonably) asked me for some more photos. Here are the 'bad bits':

Small crack in rear bumper:

Funny paint patch on engine lid:

Some stone chipping to passenger side skirt:

Interior Photos

Frunk:

Boot:

Audio bits and bobs:

Last edited by toxo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

What's this? Is it a built in feature of the stereo, or some other cool stuff?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

HKS CAMP, engine monitoring widget. Quite cool and quite rare, it has the optional junction box for connecting up loads of sensors.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

Did you have a look at the rx8? Any interest?

Cheers,

Paul.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I did, but I decided that money would be more useful :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Deposit now taken \:D/ First person to see it too, I really should've advertised it for more lol

Return to “MR2s for Sale”