Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

elbon50

Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Post by elbon50 »

Thinking of starting to use fully synthetic oil

Do other members use it ?

What are the recommendations with motor sport in mind ?

Make, viscosity etc ?

Peter
Baker

Re: Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Post by Baker »

go to the search button and type:

oil and fully and synthetic.

then change the category to mk1.

loads of info.
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

Hello Peter,

What is the mileage of your car?
If you always used 10W40, I wouldn't change the oil to synthetic one.
There is a big chance if you do it, your oil consumption will be higher than your average fuel consumption! :wink:

It is more effective to use half-synthetic from a good brand (Castrol, Shell,...)and change it more often.

Before my engine was overhauled, I used 10W40. Now during the running-in period I use 15W45 from Castrol for 5000km. After that, the guy who overhauled my engine told me he puts 10W60 (BMW's M engines oil) in his engines and never got any problem.
If the test with 10W60 isn't satisfying, I'll use 10W40 again.

Cheers,

Frank
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Thanks for that Baker. Have been looking at some of the posts

[quote="FrankBelgium"]Hello Peter,

What is the mileage of your car?
If you always used 10W40, I wouldn't change the oil to synthetic one.
There is a big chance if you do it, your oil consumption will be higher than your average fuel consumption! :wink:

It is more effective to use half-synthetic from a good brand (Castrol, Shell,...)and change it more often.

Before my engine was overhauled, I used 10W40. Now during the running-in period I use 15W45 from Castrol for 5000km. After that, the guy who overhauled my engine told me he puts 10W60 (BMW's M engines oil) in his engines and never got any problem.
If the test with 10W60 isn't satisfying, I'll use 10W40 again.

Cheers,

Frank[/quote

Car has 58K miles from new Frank

Am also thinking of using Dextron III ATF in the transaxle

Peter
Jiveman

Post by Jiveman »

I use MOBIL 1 0W40 fully synthetic with no issues.

As I dont use the car all the time, using this oil, the top of the engine does not clatter in first few seconds if it has not been started for a while. I would not swop back.
It also has better detergents in it to keep the engine oil ways clean.

I was told some years ago don't use engine flush use synthetic oil to clean the engine I have never swopped back.

I have had no problems and my oil stays clean.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Thanks for that Jiveman

Mobil 1 0W40 is the one I was thinking of using

My engine is low mileage &,so far as I know, is in excellent condition

Peter
Jiveman

Post by Jiveman »

The only problem you may have is if the engine oil seals are poor in which case you will get some drips. I did not get this problem. You will know quite quickly if this is the case.
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

Car has 58K miles from new Frank

Am also thinking of using Dextron III ATF in the transaxle

If the car already drove 58K miles with 10W40, I would stick to 10W40.
As Jiveman told, you have the external oil seals (crankshaft, camshafts and distributor) but also the internal seals (valve seals). If you 'engine brake' a lot while driving, there is big chance you will have a nice blue cloud every time you go on the throttle again if you go for synthetic.

Regarding the transaxle oil, I use Redline MT90 in the gearbox. The synchro mesh of the second gear is a little brutalised by the previous owner, and it can be in my head, but I have the idea the second gear passes smoother since the Redline oil.
But from previous posts, I understand you are going to use the car for hillclimb or something like that, and I have no idea if the Redline oil is suitable for extreme use.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

I have semi synthetic 10W40 in the engine at the mo

No leaks, no problems

Peter
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

engines dont remember their history. changing oil is of no major significance. if you've run on bad oil and not changed it regularly then chances are wear will be higher, but thats the only effect. if the car has had its oil changed regularly and run decent quality oil, then upping to higher quality fully synth now will simply reduce wear from this point forwards. if the engine is in good shape then use the best oil you can justify the cost of. Mobil 1 is probably the best engine oil around.

I run fully synth (started around 130k miles with the car having been run on Toyota standard oil its whole life, and full Toyota service history from new) and my oil consumption is no higher, I don't get any smoke, I get less top end rattle on startup. it is just better all round, no ifs or buts. fully synth is higher quality oil, the only reason all cars dont just run it to begin with is because it is usually twice the cost (or more) of semi synth, which on road engines does the job perfectly fine. its the same reason why manufacturers dont run the best of everything on the entire car. if they did then your average family wagon would cost £50k instead of £15k!
widster

Post by widster »

Useful comments you make there Jim. I use my mk1b for road use only, approx 1500 miles a year. It has done 140k and has had regular oil changes. I know it is my choice but if your car what oil would you use and how often would you change it? At the moment I use a good quality 10w 40 semi synthetic (Magnatec or Mobil S) and change about exery 2.5k. Cheers.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Have bought 5 litres of Mobil 1 0W40 for a very reasonable price

Have ordered a K& N performance filter

Peter

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”