mot requirments

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rsand85

mot requirments

Post by rsand85 »

I can see already that this is prob going to open a can of worms on here but does anybody around here know what the actual requirements are for a daylight mot??had a good scan about and its all ifs and maybes!!
g.lewarne

Re: mot requirments

Post by g.lewarne »

huh?

as far as i know the requirements for a MOT are:

- MOT testing station
- MOT tester
- Car (with fuel in it)
- Money

not sure daylight is a prerequisite :-k
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

a very brief google appears to show a daylight MOT exists only for bikes. looks like you can get a bike to pass an MOT without working lights and indicators if only used in the daytime.

As i presume you are asking about a car MOT this is completely irrelevant. if even 1 light doesnt work it will fail, no ifs or maybes about it.
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

If the car is fitted with lights and they dont work then yes it will fail, but if no lights are fitted then they cannot test them.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i think they still fail you , example i can think of is rear fog lamp, import dont have them, but they fail you if you dont have a rear fog
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

mk1bexwa wrote:If the car is fitted with lights and they dont work then yes it will fail, but if no lights are fitted then they cannot test them.

Not true. To be road legal it must have headlights, indicators, a rear fog and brake lights. if they arent fitted it will fail
Baker

Post by Baker »

i believe that if you bring your car to a station with no lights, fitting, or any of the required wiring, then it will pass. Its a loophole.

as it said, i believe, not know.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

having just read the MOT regulations found here: http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d ... guides.htm

i would have to say that this alternative interpretation is true. its not a loophole, its actually defined.

it states that a vehicle must have sidelights unless its only used during daylight hours and not in reduced visibility condition. The indicators, brake lights and headlights arent required if sidelights arent fitted.

Under these conditions the vehicle will be issued with a VT32 for daylight use only. I guess theres the issue of whether the MOT tester believes it will be used in daylight only but who knows.

I am frankly shocked this 'loophole' exists. i do testwork for IVA and SVA(individual / special vehicle approval) and to be deemed roadworthy it has to have all these lights fitted. I cant believe that out the factory lights must be fitted but it can be road legal with the lights removed. Vehicles like radicals get redesigned to have lights to make them road legal. if they could be road legal without lights whats the point?
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i thought VT32 is the advisories notes

and V32 is the daylight MOT

MOT comes from the no longer existent Ministry Of Transport, but the name continues to apply to the inspection itself. The actual designation for the pass certificate is VT20, and failure is the VT30, with any advisories being the VT32. Every "MOT" Test will provide an emissions report.
rsand85

Post by rsand85 »

that's interesting indeed have to say i thought brake lights and indicators would be a must though 8-[
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

SFLee wrote:i thought VT32 is the advisories notes

and V32 is the daylight MOT

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above [daylight use]

rsand85 wrote:that's interesting indeed have to say i thought brake lights and indicators would be a must though 8-[

i do to. im quite appauled that this exists really
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dantheman wrote:i do testwork for IVA and SVA(individual / special vehicle approval) and to be deemed roadworthy it has to have all these lights fitted.

There are many differences between the requirements to issue an SVA for a vehicle and the requirements to pass an MOT. For example, to pass an SVA you must have a speedo that reads in MPH, but you don't need to even have a speedo at all to pass an MOT.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

toxo wrote:
dantheman wrote:i do testwork for IVA and SVA(individual / special vehicle approval) and to be deemed roadworthy it has to have all these lights fitted.

There are many differences between the requirements to issue an SVA for a vehicle and the requirements to pass an MOT. For example, to pass an SVA you must have a speedo that reads in MPH, but you don't need to even have a speedo at all to pass an MOT.

indeed. seems rediculous to me. The MOT exists to prove a vehicle is roadworthy and suitable for UK roads throughout its lifetime. An IVA test proves the same thing at the beginning of its UK lifetime, and yet the two sets of tests dont match up. who comes up with this crap?
b16hbg

Post by b16hbg »

MOTs are a minimum standard for the day of the test to prove that the vehicle is roadworthy for that day only. The certificate is valid for 1 year but doesnt prove the vehicle is roadworthy for the whole year just for the day of the test. As far as daylight MOTs from experience it is possible to have one but as a former MOT tester I would check with your VTS first and speak to the authorised examiner there otherwise you may be likely to slightly annoy them if you just turn up and ask for it to be tested under daylight requirements

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”