Headlight controller modification - 800x600 photo heavy

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

boyzdad

Headlight controller modification - 800x600 photo heavy

Post by boyzdad »

After repairing my headlight controller, I decided to address a problem that had been bugging me about the way the controller works.

When the light switch is turned off, from headlights to off, the lights seems to take ages before they go down, ok, not a major problem, but I like to mess about with these things :)

After studying the controller PCB, I found a couple of components that can be swapped out to give some fun results.

The first is to fix the time delay for the turn off, and the second is a cool (well I think so, others may not!) "wave" effect from the headlights if you just give a quick "blip" on the indicator flash stalk.

To see the lights in action, watch this video CLICKY , sorry about the sound, but it was better than the dog barking in the background!

To do this mod, strip down the controller as shown in my link above, then replace these 2 components shown in this picture.

My PCB after modification.....

Obviously you can choose to change only 1 of the caps if you prefer ;)

Suitable capacitors can be brought very cheaply from RS components, e.g. part number 228-6622
Whilst I had the unit in pieces I added the Jimi mod to allow me to make the headlights go down while the sidelights are still on, I choose to wire my mod slightly differently than Jimi, it meant that I did not have to cut the connector, which I preferred.

My take on the Jimi mod......

A picture of my switch I used....

And finally, re-assembled and fitted to the car :)

I hope this is of some use to people, I certainly spent a lot longer writing this up than doing it (which is why I normally don't bother as I dont have much spare time)!
Polypedates

Re: Headlight controller modification - 800x600 photo heavy

Post by Polypedates »

Very neat. Shame I can't solder for toffee #-o
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

That's a good mod for the faster retraction time and I quite fancy doing it. I'm not clear on what the difference is between changing one cap or two. Is it that one cap does the retraction mod and two does the blink mod?
Also I'm not seeing complete pictures and the one of "My take on Jimi's mod" is just a red x in a box.
Cool work there mate. Looking forward to having a go. :thumleft:

Bod
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Boddney wrote:That's a good mod for the faster retraction time and I quite fancy doing it. I'm not clear on what the difference is between changing one cap or two. Is it that one cap does the retraction mod and two does the blink mod?
Also I'm not seeing complete pictures and the one of "My take on Jimi's mod" is just a red x in a box.
Cool work there mate. Looking forward to having a go. :thumleft:

Bod

Each capacitor does it's own job, so if you change the left (as shown in the picture) it will shut the lights quicker, and if you change the right hand capacitor it will do the "Wave" mod ;) I.e. to make the lights shut quicker after power off only, just change the left hand capacitor for a 10uF one ;)

The server where the pictures are hosted can be a bit slow sometimes :( try refreshing the page to see if that helps.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Great guide, might give this a go, i need to do the sidelight mod at some point as having the lights up just for the side lights is annoying.

Just need to get a soldering iron now.
ulysess1966

Can't see

Post by ulysess1966 »

I can't see the photos :(

Is this a simple R/C circuit? I'm wondering if the resisitor could be replaced with a potentiometer to give a variable time.
boyzdad

Re: Can't see

Post by boyzdad »

ulysess1966 wrote:I can't see the photos :(

Is this a simple R/C circuit? I'm wondering if the resisitor could be replaced with a potentiometer to give a variable time.

Hello, the pics disappeared for a while, doh! They are back now ;)

I am sure that a variable resistor could be used, however I did not have time, or to be honest, the inclinaction to go any further with it ;)

It look like there are 2 x 470R resistors that are related to these capacitors, have a play and let us know :)
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Got a pack of 10 Miniature Radial Electrolytic Capacitors 10uF 16V for grand total of £1.15 with free postage off fleabay.

:thumleft:

i think RS has a minimum order of £5 then a silly delivery charge.
ulysess1966

Resistors

Post by ulysess1966 »

Yeah, the 470R resistors look like the other part of the R/C timer. I might try a switch or 2 with different resistor values.

This is a fun project, the type keeps me amused :) !
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

mulaz wrote:Got a pack of 10 Miniature Radial Electrolytic Capacitors 10uF 16V for grand total of £1.15 with free postage off fleabay.

:thumleft:

i think RS has a minimum order of £5 then a silly delivery charge.

Sorry, I forgot about the RS carrige, however, if you have a trade account (or know someone who does), then there is no minimum charge, and no delivery charge if ordered online :)

ulysess1966 wrote:Yeah, the 470R resistors look like the other part of the R/C timer. I might try a switch or 2 with different resistor values.

This is a fun project, the type keeps me amused [Smile] !

It may be worth getting a variable resistor say 470R (RS# 473-534) and a 120R resistor (RS# 163-448) to prevent dead short to have a play ;)

If you have a Maplin shop near you, you could try them for the components the closet they seem to do is a 500R preset (N38BR £0.49) and the 120R resistor (M120R £0.24 (very expensive for a resistor!)). I have to warn you though every time I go into my local Maplin it's "no we dont have stock of that" so good luck!

Another "bonus" with this mod I discovered is that if the "jimi" mod is active, then putting the light switch into the up-but-off position will give the "lazy-eye" look (easily raised to fully up by a flick of the flasher), this is were more accurate timing (via the variable resistor) would come into its own ;)

This could be an interesting project :)

I would like to see if its possible to sort the sidelight mod (headlights not up with the sidelights on) without having to use an on/off switch.... Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for the lighting from? I assume they must be slightly different (or the controller) between the mk1a and mk1b as the mk1a does not raise the headlights as standard when the sidelights are put on.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Workshop manuals with wiring diagrams can be found here http://manual.teq.org/ :thumleft:
jimi

Post by jimi »

You won't find UK spec wiring diagrams there :wink:
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

jimi wrote:You won't find UK spec wiring diagrams there :wink:

Thanks Jimi, do you know anywhere I may be able to find it? I have a few little projects I want to play with ;)
jimi

Post by jimi »

Depends what you want, I have 1a diagrams, but 1b are like rocking horse poo :( the 1a diagrams cover most of the 1b but some bits (especially the bit covering dim/dip) are different
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Is there some way that manuals can be made available on this forum please ?

The forum for my other car (not Toyota) has a section with owners & service manuals together with circuit diagrams for the various models. These are available for members to view or download

The only manuals I have at the mo are the original owners manual, a Mk1a USA spec service manual, published by Haynes, and some extracts from a Euro spec Mk1a service manual

As my car is UK spec Mk1b the above is far less than ideal :(

Peter
jimi

Post by jimi »

Those manuals are © Mr T
It's technically illegal to copy/host/download them and Mr T's lawyer's have been known to force sites to remove them under threat of legal action. :(
Having said that if you were to contact the right person they might be able to send you a copy of a disc with all the MR2 technical information they have on it. :wink:
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

jimi wrote:Those manuals are © Mr T
It's technically illegal to copy/host/download them and Mr T's lawyer's have been known to force sites to remove them under threat of legal action. :(
Having said that if you were to contact the right person they might be able to send you a copy of a disc with all the MR2 technical information they have on it. :wink:

Right person PM'd ;) :) lol
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Good modification :clap:

does anyone know what resistors to use on the MK2 ?

this is what they have standard

boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

BLZ-8027 wrote:Good modification :clap:

does anyone know what resistors to use on the MK2 ?

this is what they have standard

Well, at the risk of getting shot (or dragged out by my heels - Paul!) by answering a MK2 question, I would suggest that you have a play with the 22uF and 47uF capacitors, try swapping them for 2*10uf and see what happens ;)

Regards

Matt :)

Without looking at the pcb myself I couldn't say what resistors need changing, they will normally be associated with the capacitors, try looking at the tracks from the capacitors.

I hope this helps....... now get out of here, before someone comes ;)
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Hi Boyzdad,
Bit of a thread revieval. I have bought my 10uf caps to do next week on a weeks hols. My question is, do the caps have a polarity as one leg is longer than the other. I know on LED's this makes a difference and just wondered if these were the same or can they just be put in either way round.
Thanks,
Bod.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”