Tyre recommendations (standard size)?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AndyA

Tyre recommendations (standard size)?

Post by AndyA »

Hi, can anyone recommend tyres for the standard size wheels?

Car is completely standard suspension wise, and will just be used for normal everyday driving, so not really after any road legal track focused type tyres!

Just some that are good all round & not too expensive :-s

Thanks, Andy
dmb89

Re: Tyre recommendations (standard size)?

Post by dmb89 »

camskill.co.uk has been good for me plus they do plenty of tyre sizes. Personally I would use the opportunity of needing new tyres to upgrade to 15 inch alloys this would at least give you a wider range of tyres to choose from. Im currently running 195/50/15 iirc, with uniroyal rainsport 2 which are excellent tyres never let me down and better than any other more costly branded tyres ive had all at the bargain price of £37 per tyre as well!!
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

4 here with new tyres on if your on a budget
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-MK1-Al ... 3cb83ec2b6
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Yokohama C Drive2 tyres are very good standard size tyres for the mk1.

That's what I fitted to mine last year and I'm very pleased with them in terms of grip and road noise and steering feel.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yoko AD08's are awesome if you dont mind paying £80 a tyre (internet price) outstanding grip in the wet and even better in the dry.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Thanks for the replies so far :)

I want to stick with the standard wheel size as I'm getting some 'triangle' alloys to make the car original again, otherwise may well have considered going to 15s.

Had not heard of Camskills before, seems a very useful site for service parts as well, so will try to remember that for future reference :thumleft:

Would consider some secondhand tyres, but most need collecting if still on wheels so only worth it if they're quite local.

Does anyone know the difference between Yohohama A and C drives? Seem to be very similar in price, and around the same as the Uniroyals.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

C stands for comfort.
A drives are more towards performance, but it is the S-Drives that are made for performance. Above that are the Advans.

Would probably go for A drives myself as I know S-Drives aren't available in this size.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

I am running some Eagle NCT's (14'') on my MK1a wheels, the difference from the standard crud I had is like night and day. Really inspire confidence in the wet and dry :)

I think they may have discontinued them now, not too sure, but if you can get them, I cant recommed them highly enough.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I use C drives on my 14's and have had no problems with them on the road.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I asked the same question a while back and ended up fitting Toyo Proxes CF1 all around and I’m very happy with then so far. Admittedly they are softer than other tyres so they wear quicker but that also means they seem to grip better in all weathers so far I have found. As for winter time I have the luxury of a 2nd set of wheels fitted with Cooper Weathermaster SA2’s
widster

Post by widster »

Another vote for the Yokohama C drives from me, for road use at least. Had 4 on a few thousand miles ago and they feel fine. Mine are the standard size wheels.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Have just ordered some A Drives. May as well get the A Drives as there doesn't seem to be any real difference in price over the C Drives. Try Blackcircles.com.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I'm now a bit confused because I was led to believe the A Drive tyres were for everyday drivers of basic hatchback/saloon cars.

There's a youtube vid about these tyres that is linked to on the Yokohama website.

http://www.yokohama.com.au/videos/index.aspx?tyreid=66

It says the C drive is a step up 'premium' tyre compared to the A drive.
Also, the A drive series covers small rim sizes with economy profiles compared to C Drive?

Also, the C Drive is supposed to be based on the sporty A539 tyre pattern.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hmm it is a bit confusing I admit!

A Drive (Everyday Driving) :
For everyday motorists who spend wisely on car maintenance. Suits small to large cars, Toyota Corolla to Holden Commodore. It’s designed for fuel economy, high mileage and good braking.

C Drive (Extra Safety:
For everyday motorists & families looking for secure grip on wet roads. It has a quiet ride and offers crucial stability in emergency situations. C.drive suits sedans, people movers and sports models. It’s an upgrade over most standard tyres.

It's not that clear in their descriptions either. Tbh I'm still going for A Drives as they are for high mileage so may take the abuse they will get on the rear end of the AE86 somewhat better. Also, I don't want the grippiest tyre. As long as it's progressive that's all I want. My tyres get scrubbed constantly due to the LSD being very tight.

I understand that others might prefer more grip though.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

JMR_AW11 wrote:

Also, the C Drive is supposed to be based on the sporty A539 tyre pattern.

Some of the race series that used to use the A539's moved over to the C drive. Ive only driven C drives (that were skimmed down) on a FWD car and they werent that bad. I'd like to get my MR2 running so I can try them out on that.
widster

Post by widster »

I was advised to go for the C drive over the A drive due to it being more of a sporting tyre. I take it from this they meant more grip but will wear a bit quicker. They certainly do seem to grip well. Not done enough miles to test the wear but as only do max of 1500 a year not much of a factor for me.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”