Track Day preparation Essentials

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Clarky_X

Track Day preparation Essentials

Post by Clarky_X »

Please can all you Mk1 track day and race enthusiasts give me a top pick / essential upgrade list before tracking your car.

I have done a track day before in my std E39 M5 but obviously it was too heavy so didn't handle. I've also done a few red letter / virgin days and have also been fortunate enough to be taken on a corporate day at Bedford Autodrome with Formula Palmer Audi and the single seater is very addictive, I could have spent all day in that just adjusting my driving to the telemetry.

Anyway, Mk 1 MR2.

I have white line ARB with the yellow bushes
and have drilled discs, but was advised by a friend who races karts and has a sorted 205 Mi16 and an Mx5 that drilled discs warp as easily as plain discs and to stick with plain discs and upgrade fluid hoses and pads which I did on my last 2 and was very impressed with AP Racing fluid and Mintex M1144 pads, but would now like to try Ferodo DS2500.
I also have superflex front control arm and inner lower arm bushes, but would look to upgrade the rest.
Apart from that, the car is pretty standard apart from the SC conversion, which I would like to change to a 1MZ soon.

So what else do I really need to focus on.

Personally I don't want to track it till I've gone back to braided hoses and 5.1 fluid and decent pads. But also think the shocks and springs need upgrading.

Oh and my rock hard tyres don't have any grip so I need to change them.

What else should I really consider before heading out on track (apart from the obvious check and replace fluids etc).

Cheers.
Stephen
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: Track Day preparation Essentials

Post by Jaspa »

Just make sure it's running well. I've done several trackdays in my mk1 and just running bog standard suspension/brakes. Still a hoot :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”