getting annoyed now

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

getting annoyed now

Post by simpson_eh »

Hi all

been chasing a clunking noise on the front of the mr2 for 3 years now and now im at a loss to what else to look for

clunks both sides when going over bumps, i have changed the follwing parts

top mounts
struts
droplinks
ball joints
rack ends
arb bushes
all parts were brand new

please any suggestions
jasongtr

Re: getting annoyed now

Post by jasongtr »

rest of the bushes on the front end.

wheel bearings (doubt that though as i d guess they would have to be very bad and you'd notice tyre wear)

steering rack mounts

something loose in the frunk
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

The droplinks were ebay ones so might go for some oem ones

Its def external so nothing in the frunk
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

mine are ebay ones too and when the car is on the road they seem fine, lots of people here use them
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

I have the same issue.

Have done
new topmounts
ball joints
droplinks
arb bushes
second hand steering rack
And just fitted second hand steering column (this has helped as the old adjustable has play in it)
However still have some noise.
I've even looked at the pushrods on the popup lights and changed the power steering pump rubber bushes. Also tried tubing around the coils to stop them hitting each other :(

Car has apex springs but the previous G max ones also did it,can only hear it at low speed 20mph.

May try new inserts and or drumsticks and track rod ends.

Have been underneath so many times and had the front sussys off,well I've lost count.

This is a link to youtube showing (hearing the noise my column had) http://www.youtube.com/user/Toecutter12

Would love to totally fix this.
:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

As daft as it sounds, check the rearmost fixing on the plastic wheel arch lining. If they're not secure then they hit the bottom of the chassis and the noise travels up the A pillar and sounds much worse than it is. Get someone to flick the lining against the car while you;re sitting in it and see if that's the noise.

We had customer who'd been chasing a noise that turned out to be this who was going to sell his car if we couldn't find the source!
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i think mines def suspension related as it only happens when i hit pot holes bumps etc but independently
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

i pretty much replaced everything on mine to cure the clunking at the front. turned out on mine the caliper sliding pins were worn allowing the caliper to rattle about a bit over bumps. new pins, no more noise! :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

simpson_eh wrote:Hi all

been chasing a clunking noise on the front of the mr2 for 3 years now and now im at a loss to what else to look for

top mounts
struts
droplinks
ball joints
rack ends
arb bushes
all parts were brand new

please any suggestions

As g.lewarne has said it could be calipers. Also are the struts rebuildable ie with inserts because they could be banging. If they are removeable then pull the inserts out and drop in 25ml of oil then put them back together.
Not sure if this is the recommended build practice for mr2's but on other cars susp i've done this is recommended.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

abovetherim wrote:
simpson_eh wrote:Hi all

top mounts
struts
droplinks
ball joints
rack ends
arb bushes
all parts were brand new

please any suggestions

As g.lewarne has said it could be calipers. Also are the struts rebuildable ie with inserts because they could be banging. If they are removeable then pull the inserts out and drop in 25ml of oil then put them back together.
Not sure if this is the recommended build practice for mr2's but on other cars susp i've done this is recommended.

This has given me a few ideas to try which don't cost the earth,struts are rebuildable and I've thought about pulling the arch liner before so will give that a go too,brakes have never been touched to shall check those.

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Signori

Post by Signori »

Mine used to make a clunk going over bumps and it was my steering rack.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Radiator bracket(s)loose?
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

easy fix = turn the music up! :lol:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

mines def a metal clunk and my struts are not rebuilable hence i bought the whole struts from toyota
malcster

Post by malcster »

Signori wrote:Mine used to make a clunk going over bumps and it was my steering rack.

How did you test for this?
mine clunks like mad, and I've had a shopping list as long as has been mentioned.
Also - what abotu Bump Stops - I think they are part of the shock dust cover?

I havent tried changing them yet tho, as I wouldn;t have expected to be hitting bump stops on a day to day basis when going over speed bumps!
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”