Service parts query, and stage 1/2 modding

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SWMark

Service parts query, and stage 1/2 modding

Post by SWMark »

Hi folks,

1996 Rev3 turbo.

Id like to do the following :

Cambelt and pulleys
Waterpump
Aux belts

Full service, so filters plugs etc.

Any advice on what brands are good ?

Also, what intake should i get?
WHat form of chargecooling and which brand ? And what does it take to get a reliable 300-320hp.

MArk
cvega666

Re: Service parts query, and stage 1/2 modding

Post by cvega666 »

cambelt, pulleys, water pump - i'd go for toyota

chargecooling - st205 chargecooler core, marine pump, fiat cinquecento radiator

intake - no idea to be honest, i'd keep it stock, but thats just me :)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
phillips1981

Post by phillips1981 »

mine went on the dyno wed after fitting a rogue revision 6 charge cooler, berk de cat and the revision 6 exhaust (hks induction kit already fitted) and with no boost mods (cooler grade plugs but not fitted the boost controller yet so its standard stuff)

made 309.2 hp and just under 300 torques as clarkson would say
(265whp)

there's a big thanks coming to all that helped when i get time to pen it (Rogue and a lesser known Silverstone Autosport)

the 300whp is going to cost ya. mods like the ones above plus forged pistons stronger head bolts as a min. some after-market engine management to run the bigger injectors you'll probably need as i think 300 is pushing the standard ones and an uprated turbo and cooler grade plugs
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

260 fwhp is fine for me.

Been down the road of spending ludicrous amounts on big power (had a 567 awhp Evo 3), rod went through the block within 2000 miles. Never again.

OK so chargecooler, full exhaust and boost upgrade i think ill do.
phillips1981

Post by phillips1981 »

I'll post the new power figures when i get the boost controller plumped in but if you're happy with 260 at the wheels then you may not even need the boost controller.

the guys on her say with the mods listed above you can up the boost to 1.2bar MAX which is what I'll try but no one will says it'll be bullet proof (ringlands on stock pistons are a week point and even the old ct20b turbo may not go the long hall at that boost.)

some now are saying 1.1-1.15 as a safer bet.

i think they'll all say any increase on stock has the potential for trouble but there are plenty running it with no problems.
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

When I had mine , I ran 1.3 bar for 6 months with no failure .

Granted 1.15 may be a better bet.

With regards to ringlands I feel its the same situation as evo 3s , run them on something other than v power and they'll suffer . It's the same with ceramic turbos , people Hey cheap or lazy and run them on normal or ultimate which is between 2 and 4 points down on v power . Even v power is 3 points down on Japans fuel . Then wonder why they've killed the turbo or lands I never ran mine on anything other than v power and never had any issues.

for example lots of people crack lands at stock boost on evo 3s , due to running regular fuel yet I know a guy running 14psi MORE than the stock 12psi on a stock evo3 but he only runs v power.

Fuel and maintenance is very important on Jap imports.

so, if you're at stock boost that means you gained 70 bhp from altering your form of chargecooling , a decat and filter ? That seams a lot , I got 270 from a full 3" system , Berk cold air intake , and 1.1 bar on v power . Car is still going on strong 3years later so the engine was good.

Thanks for the help.
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

When I had mine , I ran 1.3 bar for 6 months with no failure .

Granted 1.15 may be a better bet.

With regards to ringlands I feel its the same situation as evo 3s , run them on something other than v power and they'll suffer . It's the same with ceramic turbos , people Hey cheap or lazy and run them on normal or ultimate which is between 2 and 4 points down on v power . Even v power is 3 points down on Japans fuel . Then wonder why they've killed the turbo or lands I never ran mine on anything other than v power and never had any issues.

for example lots of people crack lands at stock boost on evo 3s , due to running regular fuel yet I know a guy running 14psi MORE than the stock 12psi on a stock evo3 but he only runs v power.

Fuel and maintenance is very important on Jap imports.

so, if you're at stock boost that means you gained 70 bhp from altering your form of chargecooling , a decat and filter ? That seams a lot , I got 270 from a full 3" system , Berk cold air intake , and 1.1 bar on v power . Car is still going on strong 3years later so the engine was good.

Thanks for the help.
phillips1981

Post by phillips1981 »

yeah i was surprised at the power its a new turbo technics refurb turbo (steal shaft and slightly better bearings but not a hybrid), the guy got out and tightened the straps on the dyno he was as surprised as me

it was 309.2 hp i ask for the wheel reading and it was 265hp i'll post the graph later

Dynamics Rolling Road and it was just to see what she was pulling after plumbing the turbo in right so it wasn't a dyno day (i'd done it wrong and was hitting fuel cut at 1.3..doh :oops: ) got the graph at home i'll take a pic. It was pulling a bar of boost when connected right for the run. its a 3" system the rev6 exhaust and the rogue rev6 charge cooler is a cracking bit of kit. berk decat, hks induction and cooler grade plugs

love the V-Power, i ran out of juice last night within 300yards of an esso, (soft xxxxxx) still phoned the old dear to take me to the nearest shell haha (note to self fuel warning light no longer working)
phillips1981

Post by phillips1981 »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”