11%
Yes, but the car is over 300hp
21%

Total votes: 19

SWMark

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev3 Turbo - Have you had serious mechanical failure

Post by SWMark »

Hi folks,

I wondered how many of you with Rev3 turbos have suffered serious mechanical failiure. By this i mean cracked blocks, cracked cranks, holed pistons etc. Not something like headgasket failiure, or clutch wearing out, but serious things!

When i say fairly standard, im talking full exhaust, Induction,maybe intercooler, boost to below 1.15 Bar.

And feel free to expand on your vote in this thread, and explain maybe why you thought it happened, if you had been consistantly running on V Power or the other nasty stuff.

This can obviously be for cars you had in the past as well.

Many thanks

Mark
Steve Horrocks

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev3 Turbo - Have you had serious mechanical failure

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Ive had engine failures, but both times, human caused.

1st one: schoolboy error, fitted diode FCD before I realised rev3's use boot pressure reading for fuelling so it ran silly lean, melted piston & put rod through block.

2nd one: had the rocker cover powder coated, blast media was stuck under baffles, got into oil system, made nasty mess....... lol

Other than that, the engines have been faultless. Works all the time, ran sweet as a nut, near on 500 horses, road trip to ring & back (inc laps) and never missed a beat.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Chris

Post by Chris »

One failure as tried to map myself and fried the pistons #-o :clown:

Then ran my car with 2 bar of boost for 2 years. No probs.

Then ran 2.5 bar and 635bhp for 2 years and no faults.

Done correctly they are bomb proof. Never split a block on any 8 years of ownership.of my cars in a total
JJ

Post by JJ »

I'll mention my original rev 2 engine (standard) as some rev 3s can suffer > Ceramic turbo shatter, completely obliterated the engine, this was off boost pottering about where it just died ! Head off, scored bores, knackered pistons, flattened rod bearing, cracked crank ! Tried to save it, bored, forged, machined crank ( wasn't cracked so I was told ) put it all back together, including new turbo, bottom end rumble, changed bearings again, bottom end rumble after 100 miles again, camshaft bearings all scored, top end noise, pulled it all back out, crank xrayed, multiple stress cracks ( from turbo failure ) put the whole lot in the bin, started rev 3 conversion in 2002 !

Rev 3 > 2x cracked blocks, 1 when running standard with 1.1 bar (86.50mm bore) the other at 2.1 bar (86.00) heavily modified !

1 massively cracked crank ( see other post )

I still love it > puts a smile on my face everytime ! And I've drove many many cars !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

What year was it buddy ?

Also, do you know why you cracked the block and where did it crack?

I believe the ceramic doesnt hold up on uk fuel, better to use V power or better if possible, cooler EGTs
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yep. I am missing the MR2 now. Might have a poke at one soon. I'll give you a call soon Jj. Have a catch up!
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

engine wasnt in the 2 but in a corolla gti (still a rev 3 3S-GTE)
had two rods fail @350bhp on a brand spanking new short motor from toyota with JE pistons, reasons still unclear as it was 1&2 that went and no oil starvation was present.
cracked another block about 2 weeks after it was mapped to 470bhp and had a std rod fail after about 4000 miles on the engine that was built to replace it :(
new engine has forged rods and pistons and hardblok installed in the block, running evans NPG=r and no problems since *crosses fingers*
only thing, and ive had this on 3 different engines with engineering done at 3 different engineers, is really bad piston slap from cold. goes away when warm but sounds awful until. there doesnt seem to be any adverse effects though no marking on either bore walls or piston skirt so im happy to live with it

Return to “Mechanical”