trackday minimum age for a passenger

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

trackday minimum age for a passenger

Post by jasongtr »

anyone know how old my son would have to be to come out as a passenger in my car on a trackday?

silverstone is the nearest for us but would travel a bit further if needed, (no hurry as the car isnt even ready yet)

i suspect its 10yrs old but i might be wrong
Reechard

Re: trackday minimum age for a passenger

Post by Reechard »

Ive been to a few and often ahve to be 16-18.

I know not all are that old. So I guess it depends on who is running the event and the circuits regulations.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cheers..lol, no mate my lad isnt 16-18, i guess he'll have to wait ((quite a few years)

cheers
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

With Javelin the minimum age is 16.

May be worth checking with whichever organiser you are looking to run with.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It is usually 16.
MaxxUK

Post by MaxxUK »

I'm not sure there is an official line on this. I have certainly taken out passengers who have been under 16. I am an ARDS instructor but that had no bearing on it. It's down to the person signing you on as a passenger.

Incidentally, 14 year olds can DRIVE on a trackday IF accompanied by an ARDS instructor, this is how the young lads who race in Ginetta Jr (14yp+) and Sax Max (14yo+) get to drive on circuit.

One thing I am not sure of is if the 14yo needs some form of Motorsport license, I don't think so as I've gone out with young lads on trackday who are just 'thinking about it'

Maxx
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Different if it's a test day or ARDS than a normal track day I think. Most TDOs don't like under 16s.
MaxxUK

Post by MaxxUK »

Oddly it's probably the other way round. According to MSA rules (although open to interpretation), no passengers are allowed in car on a TEST day so no opportunity to have an instructor alongside.

I'm really not sure about 14yo+ solo on Test Days. I think if they have a competition license it 'should' be allowable, after all they are allowed to do free practice, quali, race etc.

I've done Goldtrack, Javelin and I think BaT days where 14yo+ have been allowed as long as ALWAYS accompanied by an ARDS instructor.

Again I think it's down to the TDO and if their insurance covers it, also I think they would insist on a Grade A ARDS instructor.

Thinking about it I have also been on an MSV day where I have seen 14yo+ drivers.

Maxx
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

OK I stand corrected then!! It's just I've tried to take my nephew out before and it's always been must be 16 yrs old, perhaps it's just that particular TDO.
MaxxUK

Post by MaxxUK »

I've not personally organised this but a number of my fellow instructors work with these young lads so I will find out the score for you.

Maxx
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

my lad is 9 so i thought i was pushing it - still by the time my car gets back on the road he'll be 16 anyway :mrgreen:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”