[Mk2] [Turbo] Ripping out the active system?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stormshadow

[Mk2] [Turbo] Ripping out the active system?

Post by stormshadow »

I noticed when I removed one of the rear amps the head unit then failed to power up. My question is - does the head unit get power via the rest of the Toyota kit or is there an easy to locate permanent live and ignition switched live where the head unit is?

I'm gonna rip out the entire active system and go with a new head unit, amp, front full range speakers and a small sub. All hand wired in.

The current Toyota system is goosed and is draining the battery overnight.

thanks
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Ripping out the active system?

Post by toxo »

Yes, the stock head unit receives power via the amps. It's a bit weird compared to most car stereos in that the power comes through the amps to the head unit, and then the head unit sends the amps a signal to turn on. The usual 2 connectors (10pin and 6pin) you would see behind a passive Toyota stereo are actually in your rear 1/4 and plug into the amps.

If you're going to rip it all out and start again then I would run yourself a nice shiny new ground, a nice shiny permanent live from the battery and take your switched live from the cig lighter. That way you'll have clean power (which you're unlikely to get from the stock loom to be honest). It's the best way to do it and easy too, the battery's not exactly far away from the stereo!

You'll probably end up running new speaker cables into the doors too :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
stormshadow

Post by stormshadow »

toxo wrote:Yes, the stock head unit receives power via the amps. It's a bit weird compared to most car stereos in that the power comes through the amps to the head unit, and then the head unit sends the amps a signal to turn on. The usual 2 connectors (10pin and 6pin) you would see behind a passive Toyota stereo are actually in your rear 1/4 and plug into the amps.

If you're going to rip it all out and start again then I would run yourself a nice shiny new ground, a nice shiny permanent live from the battery and take your switched live from the cig lighter. That way you'll have clean power (which you're unlikely to get from the stock loom to be honest). It's the best way to do it and easy too, the battery's not exactly far away from the stereo!

You'll probably end up running new speaker cables into the doors too

Thanks for confirming what I vaguely thought was the case.

I have a shiny new 4 gauge cable to run positive and earth to amp from.

Will run another perm live to head unit now thanks.

Edge amplifier to go under passenger seat, two edge full range speakers for doors. Deffo will be wiring all new speaker wires from amp to doors

I've actually removed the dashboard (it had an annoying rattle) so wiring should be a lot easier to get done now.

cheers. :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Absolutely 100,000 times easier with the dashboard out. One of my summer jobs is to rip mine out and redo it with the dashboard out the way!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
stormshadow

Post by stormshadow »

toxo wrote:Absolutely 100,000 times easier with the dashboard out. One of my summer jobs is to rip mine out and redo it with the dashboard out the way!

Cool thanks again.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

good idea, i need to run new cables in for a stereo system, and as my dash came out yeterday (for my new alcantara retrim :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) thats the best time to do it really
stormshadow

update..

Post by stormshadow »

..after buying all the goodies last weekend and stripping out the interior I have now test fitted the amp and head unit. Speakers are in the doors and I have done basic setup to ensure it is sounding all ok.

I know exactly where the dashboard rattle was and that is all sorted now.

Tomorrow entails putting the interior back in and putting head unit in properly. I may even create an bespoke usb port for the head unit.

One good thing I learnt today, thanks to the cheap black toyota plastics most cracks and splits can be invisibly mended with black electricians tape :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: update..

Post by toxo »

stormshadow wrote:One good thing I learnt today, thanks to the cheap black toyota plastics most cracks and splits can be invisibly mended with black electricians tape :D

I've had to do that along the edges of the windscreen vents. It's been left out in the sun too much and the dash has warped, causing the edges there to split.
stormshadow

Post by stormshadow »

Well I spent 11am to 7pm today putting everything back together. I test fitted the ICE yesterday and ensured all wiring was good.

Got dash back in and everything tidied up, only made a couple of cockups in the sequencing of the bits. Second to last job was a full clean of interior which is much more thorough with the seats out of the car.

Hopefully I will do last bits and test drive one evening next week. I hope the rattle as gone, if not the new ICE will drown it out :D

Return to “ICE and Security”