My first Mr2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt86

Re: My first Mr2

Post by matt86 »

Bit of an update today :)

Picked up the exhaust rings from Toyota today, also got an oil filter whilst I was there. Do most people stick with genuine filters, or are motor factor parts okay?

Starting to pick out vairous noises when driving, one in particular is annoying me. It happens at low speeds when going over bumps and sounds like its behind me somewhere, it doesn't sound mechanical, more like a piece of trim or body work...The only thing I can spot so far is that I am missing a rubber foot/grommet off the underside of the bootlid, meaning it can move a bit...does anyone have a spare one they could offer me?

Also, tried out a Yaris spacesaver wheel to see if it fitted... :oops: it does not clear the front calipers! Probably was a bit hopeful there!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'd use the OEM filters, they aren't expensive and are easy to get hold of. Also when you go to the dealer make sure they give you a sump plug washer as well.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt86

Post by matt86 »

Cheers Lauren, I got a washer at the same time :) Going to do a bit of a service when I get some time to do it.

Thanks to Ian (perculis) for having a look at my new purchase, your knowledge and advice was most appreciated! Enjoy the wheels!

I still have 3x MK1b alloys up for grabs if anyone needs a spare(s).

Finallly, can anyone confirm that a MR2 Mk3 (Roadster) space saver will fit the Mk1 okay?

Cheers!
matt86

Post by matt86 »

im after some parts to replace missing / faulty bits, please have a look at my thread in the 'Items Wanted' section of the forum if you have a collection of spare parts!
Last edited by matt86 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt86

Post by matt86 »

BUMP! Now reached 15 posts, so will get some photos of the MR2 up as soon as possible :mrgreen:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

where abouts in warwickshire are ya? i live in brum now but come out that way every now and then.. prob have some spare bits lying around too if you need anything specific. cant remember if i have the dash bits or not, too much stuff in the shed. always good to meet another mk1'er!
matt86

Post by matt86 »

I'm in Leamington - give me a PM if you in the area sometime :)

The parts I am currently after are (from Items Wanted forum):

- 4x standard mk1b wheel nuts
- 1x rubber foot/grommet for the underside of the boot lid
- full set of MK1B instrument panel bulbs
- 1x courtesy light switch (passenger door) and rubber cover

I'm in Birmingham from time to time, which area of Brum do you live in?
Last edited by matt86 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt86

Post by matt86 »

More updates (still without photos, sorry :oops: )

- Jimi bracket now fitted, has improved the look of the engine bay a lot!
- Have removed the tie bars that go attach to the front wings to repair them... when a previous owner of the car replaced the wings they never reattached the tie bars as they are all rusted up (they still have bits of the original wings clamped in them!) - I am going to drill these out at both ends, clean and paint them up and then refit them with new nuts and bolts :D
- Next major job will be the manual choke conversion...and getting round to sorting the unstrument lighting #-o

I will get some shots of the car this week and post them up here :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Matt you can get a lot of those parts from Toyota you know. If you have a helpful parts guy, you'll be surprised what they can find for you. Our parts guy found us original decals for my 85 Trueno, well they are listed as available.

I don't think the parts you are after should be that hard to get from Toyota, they might not have them all, but I'll be they'll have some.
matt86

Post by matt86 »

The 'useful parts guy' is the element I am missing! they struggle to find parts for me as they don't seem familiar with the MK1 at all at my local toyota dealer... I will try them to see what bits they have, but I'll be finding out the part numbers in advance myself!

Thanks
ForMySin

Re: Mr2 newbie - parts required :-)

Post by ForMySin »

matt86 wrote:
6) Would like to source a space saver wheel to open up some space in the front boot.

My rev1 has one of these, never been used. It's scrap now and my rv2 is sitting on 17s.

So if you want it I can check and post pics? You can have it if you cover the postage :)
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
jimi

Re: Mr2 newbie - parts required :-)

Post by jimi »

ForMySin wrote:
My rev1 has one of these, never been used.

Won't be much good on a MK1 :wink:
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

Lol sorry I need to learn to read ;)
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt86 wrote:The 'useful parts guy' is the element I am missing! they struggle to find parts for me as they don't seem familiar with the MK1 at all at my local toyota dealer... I will try them to see what bits they have, but I'll be finding out the part numbers in advance myself!

Thanks

Might be worth trying another dealer. We are really lucky as our parts guy is that good, that you can start to read a part number and he'll tell you what it is. He is also an absolute whizz with the EPC.

So I reckon it's worth finding someone better, or find out who at your local knows their stuff and make friends with them. It's a shame, because although it is not always cheap, it's really nice to put new Toyota parts on your car.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

the MrT over cov eay by the airport (is it listers) used to be ok for getting parts for my mk1 when i lived they way. I never got the wrong parts, forget who i used to see there, but think most of the parts people were fine there. i couldnt find any of the useful parts for ya, unless you need a door or t-bar glass, or seats lol or other assorted shiz
matt86

Post by matt86 »

Yeah I have been using the same place I think...I'll stick with getting parts from there as that is my closest main dealer.

Now have some photos of the 2 on my camera so no excuses now, I'll get them added later on.
matt86

Post by matt86 »

Bye bye standard alloys, got £6.40 per wheel at my local metal scrapper, happy days!
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Hi Matt

How you getting on with the car, had mine MOTed yeasterday only issue was a number plate light I'd not reconnected after doing the rear arches and needed a new handbrake cable after standing for 6 months. I just happened to have the right one in the garage so it took about an hour to get it all sorted.

I' took it back for retest at 6:00am, roads were dead and I opened her up a bit \:D/

Ian
matt86

Post by matt86 »

Alright Ian,
Yeah the car is going well thanks. Have just been away on a long weekend in it, Leamington - Bath - Weymouth - Thruxton - Leamington. Racked up several hundred miles, with lots of fun on A and B roads :)

Have re-fitted my refurbed front wing tie-bars, and have fitted a centre exhaust mount - although this seems to have caused an annoying heat shield vibration at 3000rpm :(

Also have got myself a mint Mk3 spacesaver and cover in the frunk.

Still got lots of little bits to fix up, but overall really enjoying it!

I see you have got yourself another White Mk1...is this a T-bar aswell? Whats the plan then, one kept standard, and one with the engine conversion? Also, does that take you upto 4 cars?!
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

4 cars till the end of the month then the 205 goes so only 3 then.

Plan is uncertain:
May be one MR2 to tas round in the winter and the other as a summer toy.
Or might break the old one to recover poly bushes, exhaust and new brake callipers, then get rid of everything else and see if I can raise myself a bit of cash. Shame really as the chassis is pretty good compared to most (original sills, new arches, etc)

Can't decide what to do with the GT6, never drive it but love it.

If you can get above the exhaust, the heat shield has a small secondary shield attached to it, this interface often corrodes badly and leaves the secondary heat shield floating around and rattling. might be hard to solve correctly without dropping the exhaust which will probably mean new seals again. you maybe able to get some exhaust paste or VHT silicone in there to stop it rattling, but better to sort it properly.

Are you still taking it easy, these cars really deserve to be driven hard.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”