understeer

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rikster

understeer

Post by rikster »

i'm having probs with understeer in the fast long bends is there a solution or a driving technique to help.
archaeicbloke

Re: understeer

Post by archaeicbloke »

you could try getting a stiffer rear sway bar, that usually helps understeer...

are you running same size tires on all 4 fours? thats important too
coanda

Post by coanda »

Do you have a rear strut brace?

Moved as much weight forward as possible?
rikster

Post by rikster »

no arb front or back :shock:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Try fitting ARBs and go for a stiffer setup at the back, softer at the front may help front end grip and weight transfer.

What kind of geometry are you running. Too much front negative camber has given us understeer in the past, also try the fronts parallel and maybe less rear toe in.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

What is the setup on the car for a start? Its obviously nowhere near standard, so its going to be extremely hard to diagnose a handling issue based on no information. Last I heard (when I was looking at buying it lol) the car in your picture was running Leda coilovers and weighed next to nothing, so its far from a standard AW11.

What springs rates is it running, geometry setup, tyres, etc? Is it understeering on the road or are you talking about track use?
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

It really depends on where your understeer is occurring and what is causing it. The easy way is stiffen rear springs but that could be sacrificing rear end grip when the actual problem is damping, tyres or geometry.

Presuming those three are all in check, my suggestion would be to add adjustable anti-roll bars. It gives you an easily quantifiable way of adjusting wheel frequencies without affecting static geometry, so you should be able to dial out understeer quite easily.

However if you could post some details of your setup it would be a bit easier to suggest where it could be compromised.
rikster

Post by rikster »

Leda coilovers springs rates not known but hard all around. r888 205/50/15 tyres. geometry front -camber is -0.9 rear is -1.5 front towin is 1mm rear is 4mm.

battery is in the front but its just a red top 30
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

First step then is to have the spring rates measured :)
rikster

Post by rikster »

yes will do was going to send them for a refurb but get no reply from leda.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Gaz can service them as well. if you want the spring rates checking then let me know, weve got a damper dyno with spring testing facilities.
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Jim-SR wrote:Gaz can service them as well. if you want the spring rates checking then let me know, weve got a damper dyno with spring testing facilities.

If Gaz can service them then i would talk to them. They have been extremely helpful with the coilovers for my hillclimb car.
rikster

Post by rikster »

the car has gone for mapping then racing in tss this weekend i will have them off after.
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

rikster wrote:i'm having probs with understeer in the fast long bends is there a solution or a driving technique to help.

Driving technique would be:

If you are cornering under power = more understeer

ease off power (and there is more weight at the front) = less oversteer

You can then tinker with toe in/out and camber
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Lift off? Never!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Lifting off to get oversteer is acceptable. :+:

Then you just got to hold it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

aw11rally wrote:Lift off? Never!

:lol: In my other halfs old Mk1 you could lift off mid corner get the ar$e end out then either plant it and get it back or stay off the gas and it'd come back to you. Never driven a Mk1 like it. I've no idea what the alignment was like but as far as suspension it was on stock springs all round and tired old stock rear suspension with KYBs at the front. :mrgreen:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Ok ok, lift off or clutch kick. But we're trying to get rid of understeer arn't we? Not induce oversteer!
MartG

Post by MartG »

rikster wrote:no arb front or back :shock:

A pair of Whiteline adjustable ARBs, then play with their stiffness to achieve the desired effect :-k
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

rikster wrote:i'm having probs with understeer in the fast long bends is there a solution or a driving technique to help.

What do you mean by a fast long bend? eg quantify speed and bend?
One of the most thrilling aspects of my mk1 is nailing it at silly speeds in 4th gear. I always thought it was brilliant at this even though it was very twitchy. Lifting off would be unthinkable here :lol:

Understeer is more of a problem on hard cornering at low to medium speeds. At high speeds I always found the car to be quite well balanced on fast sweepers and keeping the throttle nailed is extremely addictive:)

If the car is understeering at very high speed I'd be wondering more about the suspension keeping the tyres on the road? Does the ARB do much at high speed? I'm afraid I know very little about car suspension :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”