sw20 v integra type r

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ligertigon

sw20 v integra type r

Post by ligertigon »

Haven't been on this site for ages, I still have a mk1b. but lately I was thinking of a change of my daily integra which I occasionally track to a sw20 turbo.

I have never seen any on track while I',m on it and am curious as to how they would compare. Power is obviously up, but I don't think they would handle as well???? opinions
Quigonjay

Re: sw20 v integra type r

Post by Quigonjay »

you are correct, in a fashion
an sw20 chassis is not as dynamic as an integra type r
however, are you familiar with the best motoring videos? (like a japanese top gear)
anyways, in one of their videos they pit an integra type r against a beams sw20 and there is nothing in it (beams - toyota version of a vtec, same power/140kgs heavier than the teg, turbo + another 50ish)
as far as straight line performance goes, the mr2 turbo is in another league, especially if you go for the 94+ rev3 onwards, 240ish stock but nigh on 300 with minimal mods and twice the torque of a teg giving sub 4.5 60 times
never been in an integra but i do hear how harsh they are as a daily driver, the half leathers you get in a gt is one of the most comfortable places you will ever sit to pilot a vehicle (if you stick with stock suspension) and fully optioned they are quite well apointed - tin top or tbar flavours, auto air con, half leather/alcantara seats, folding electric mirriors, steering fog lights, electric windows, electric ariel, abs/ebd, lsd gearbox, traction control, cruise control, sure there is stuff i've forgot but you get the picture
all those lovely noises going on about a foot behind your head certainly add to the experience

EDIT: here we go, love this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2714232166#

and just for a rough comparison of straightline performance between a stock teg and stock rev3 mr2 turbo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng7R_Q0W4bs
JM_16v

Post by JM_16v »

ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Thanks for the vids, never saw the beams one v the itr, that mr2 never oversteered once :shock: something wrong with it?lol

Tempted now,

How much better handling are the rev3 over the rev1, and what needs to be done say to a rev 1 to bring the suspension on par with a rev3?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

ligertigon wrote:Thanks for the vids, never saw the beams one v the itr, that mr2 never oversteered once :shock: something wrong with it?lol

Tempted now,

How much better handling are the rev3 over the rev1, and what needs to be done say to a rev 1 to bring the suspension on par with a rev3?

you weren't watching close enough if you think the mr2 didn't oversteer. :wink:
he was using a tiny angle to get round that big 180* corner at the bottom of the track and the last corner onto the finish straight.

the only things that are any different really are the front suspension on the rev1 had 1 more adjustment than all the other rev's at the front.
the rear subframe is different too. these can be swapped onto the rev1 from a later rev with ease.

different spec cars ran different shocks depending on year/model. best were the black billys on the turbo as an option upto rev3 where it was standard.
lsd was an option on most models but the rev3+ turbo has one as standard i think.

bigger wheels on rev2+ as well as bigger brakes.. brakes are the same for all cars and models from rev2+, with the exception of the vaccum assist unit and (i think) the non-adjustable bias block.

nearly all the rev2+ cars had power steering, which is heavier. it was an option on rev1. the later rev cars also have more and more things like abs and door crash bars, air bags etc.. they got fat basicly.

as for weather the rev3 is better than the rev1.. i don't personally think so. the rev1 was more a driver's car but you had to know how to drive a mid engine car on the edge to get the most out of it.. this meant that some people found it a little too hardcore on the road. i never had any trouble with it.

the rev2+ handle fine and tend to have a bit more understeer built into them to save the genral public from having to catch the back end as much.

driving them back to back the main thing i notice is the steering as the rev1 i get to use has no powersteering but the rev2 and rev3 i use both have PS. i love the non PS setup but it's really heavy for parking. the PS on the later models is good though, still get feedback and it's not stupidly light either.

other than that they are still mr2's and feel similar most of the time.

none of the ones i use are turbo though. there was some big changes to the power, engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, weight and driver aids from rev1 to rev3. and not having driven them back to back i can't really comment on how they differ.
i do tend to find that the turbo's can't be thrashed as hard on B roads as they are too powerful. compared to the NA cars.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

I'd drive one and see what you think.

The dc2 is not about power even though its no sloutch. I dont think standard mk2 mr2 can match the driving experience eg, noise, feel ect...

The dc2 is also designed for the track out of the box whereas the mr2 needs abit doing to it to feel the same imo
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I driven a few different cars on track and you cannot beat RWD in my eyes. Loads more fun than front wheel drive + its more of a challenge. FWD you just push and push until you understeer :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”