Going to buy this car this Saturday what should I look out for??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

greekmr2

Going to buy this car this Saturday what should I look out for??

Post by greekmr2 »

Going to buy this MR2 this Saturday coming ... (day after tomorrow)
any advices on what to look guys?

toyota mr2 Glimited (LSD model) t-bar rev3 IMPORT in met black,
manual, 90k with lots of history and bills,
MOT'd
17” rota alloys (nearly new)
japspeed ss exhaust
massive induction kit,
veilside spoiler
turbo roof scoop,
lowered suspension,
cat 1 alarm/immob,
full leather interior,
momo steering wheel and gearknob,
removable t-bar roof,
Electric Windows,
Electric Mirrors also retract with remote,
PAS, ABS
greekmr2

Re: Going to buy this car this Saturday what should I look out for??

Post by greekmr2 »

I cannot post links or pictures yet as I dont have enough posts :( so cannot show it to you
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

This has been covered loads, I think there is a buyers guide in the knowlege base.

Check everything works, check coolant level and colour, check for mayo in the oil check geabox and clutch, have a look underneath for corrosion and damage check the brakes don't pull to one side under heavy braking.

If its been modified check all the mods have been installed to a decent standard and not just cobbled in.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

Goldy wrote:This has been covered loads, I think there is a buyers guide in the knowlege base.

Check everything works, check coolant level and colour, check for mayo in the oil check geabox and clutch, have a look underneath for corrosion and damage check the brakes don't pull to one side under heavy braking.

If its been modified check all the mods have been installed to a decent standard and not just cobbled in.

Good checkpoints, thanks Goldy.
Will look for the buyers guide :)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

greekmr2 wrote:toyota mr2 Glimited (LSD model) t-bar rev3 IMPORT in met black,

To the best of my knowledge, LSDs only became an option from revision 4 so you might want to check that it really does have one fitted. It'll be aftermarket if it is.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

I found that posted elsewere :

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example, A/TM:- 735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

Rogue wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, LSDs only became an option from revision 4 so you might want to check that it really does have one fitted. It'll be aftermarket if it is.

I have to check this somehow ... not that it will affect my purchase I think... but it would be nice to know.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

greekmr2 wrote:I found that posted elsewere :

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example, A/TM:- 735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.

This only applies to turbo cars.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

Rogue wrote:

Patrick, is there a way of telling if it has an LSD from the outside? i guess the ends of the drivshafts will tell too wont they?
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

Check the paperwork on the car throughly, if possible check the MOT history online.

My car had MOT advisories on the fail sheet which i did not recieve when i bought the car. (Found out when i checked online)

The MOT pass cert had advisory issued NO, but the advisories are where still present when I got the car 3 months later.

So there was some MOT paper work fiddling going on but it would've been a lot of hassle trying to prove it 3 months after the MOT.

My own fault really buying a car without doing the propper checks and a car with no previous history apart from the current MOT.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

texted the guy just now and asked him to send me the V5C number so I can check prior me going there tomorrow. :)

I think if the car fails ... and then passes on a new check the old failure sheet does not show on the MOT certificate as it is a seperate check
But I might be wrong.

Apparently there is loads of paperwork coming with the car ...and service history ... but the more the better :)
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

failure sheet might not but it will say failed, and the advisory sheet will be there anyway after test pass(if any)
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

Certificate is as pass ... and 91.000 miles in the last MOT no advisories
so everything seems good.
DVLA confirmed the car is in the trade so all good from there too
Checked the VIN and the Car's history all good there too
so the only thing is to see the car in "flesh" tomorrow :)
RST

Post by RST »

There wansn't an LSD model on an N/A unless you got yourself a red top G-LTD that is (sorry -thought rev 5's with gen 4 were LSD??)?!

...as is always a new car (in my case anyway). Put the service paperwork in the file as a nice to have, put it through a full service including cam belt , any other belt (alternator in the SW20), water pump if you feel it needs it, , dizzy cap and HT leads (uness you get a red top) spark plugs, oil and fuel filter, air filter and thermostat. If you do that lot you should have years of maintenence free motoring aside from servicing. Do NOT assume it has all been done before!!!! But sounds OK so far apart from the asthetics and the LSD fib.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

RST wrote:There wansn't an LSD model on an N/A unless you got yourself a red top G-LTD that is (sorry -thought rev 5's with gen 4 were LSD??)?!

LSDs in normally aspirated models were optional from revision 4 in both Japan and the UK. They only became standard on rev 5s for about the last six months of production. We have to be very careful to ensure that they're not fitted in the gearboxes we use for racing and they're very difficult to check for. N/A MR2s use torsen type limited slip differentials which are particularly difficult to spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen
Last edited by Rogue on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Rogue wrote:
RST wrote:There wansn't an LSD model on an N/A unless you got yourself a red top G-LTD that is (sorry -thought rev 5's with gen 4 were LSD??)?!

LSDs in normally aspirated models were optional from revision 4 in both Japan and the UK. We have to be very careful to ensure that they're not fitted in the gearboxes we use for racing and they're very difficult to check for.

How come? Are LSD's prohibited in the rules?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Marf wrote:How come? Are LSD's prohibited in the rules?

Yes. Because so few cars were fitted with them as standard it would mean that LSDs would need to be retrofitted to most cars. The decision not to allow them was a financial one.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

OK I have bought the car yesterday drove it for 270miles from Leeds to Kent !! And wow I must say it needs the paintwork a good really GOOD polish and the black should show up lovely ... clay here I come lol

I do not know if it is the red top one ... the car is whole black... BUT there is a confusion in the history HPI ... it said it had a colour change from red to black just after it was imported.. however the black colour seems the original no doubt and there is no sign of red.. did not check the roof though. I assumed it was a mistake on the import docs which they corrected afterwards.

But I am most amazed with performance ...!!! I did not know that a 2lt engine will have to much poke in it ... it feels faster than my N/A Supra ... I am starting to doubt if the engine is purely standard ... the only thing it has it the Turbo induction scoop...mushroom air filter and a japspeed twin exaust decat according to notes.

It has changed cambelt later 2007 (20,000miles ago) also clutch the same time.

I am now taking it to a friend of mine to have a more thorough look mechanically.
It needs allignment for sure as the front tires are worn on the inside so need a pair of new tyres.

It has at the moment 215 /40/17" front and 235/40/17" rear ... what sizes you would recomment the alloys can get wider tires without a problem.

I will post as I find questions :) :) :)
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Congrats on your purchase :)

Show us some pics, including the engine.
greekmr2

Post by greekmr2 »

How many posts do I have to do on here before I am allowed to post pics :( ?
The engine is the 3SGE :)

One of the previous owners was member of the MR2 Owners club www.mr2oc.co.uk I have found the sticker in the glove box lol :) :) so at least I know why the car is in a good condition

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”