[Mk2] [NA] 3S-GE Engine (Yamaha)...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

B L Zebub

[Mk2] [NA] 3S-GE Engine (Yamaha)...

Post by B L Zebub »

...Will a Rev 3 Yamaha 3S-GE engine fit straight into a Rev-2 G-Ltd automatic?
I've located a good one at a very good price, but unsure if there might be technical clashes...

Any advice welcome! :pray:

Ta,
Baz.
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 3S-GE Engine (Yamaha)...

Post by alanmr2turbo »

well it will fit but need to get ECU and passenger side loom unless you want to repin the wires. Oh and change the exhaust down pipe as they are different as well.
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Ok, here we go...

Just bagged the Rev 3 engine, and as far as I can see there ain't much difference visibly, except for the very prominent "Yamaha" logo on the timing belt upper guard (I take it this was built by Yamaha for Toyota, then?). Aside from that guess, what are the differences between the Rev 2 & 3 engines?

What I felt best to do is strip down the Rev3 anyway for peace of mind before the hefty job of swapping, to avoid any risks of problems (gaskets, etc), therefore, I think it'd also make sense to replace the timing belt and as many seals & gaskets as I can, on re-assembly - is there anything else (consumable, etc) that I should consider, please?

I reckon that if I swap all the peripheral bits and use my ECU from the Rev 2 on to the Rev 3 engine, it really ought to function as the '2 did before blow-up, given that my G-Ltd is an auto, and presumably will have a differently-mapped ECU, etc (possibly other sensors/connections, too?). So far - logically - so good..I hope, anyway... Essentially, I'm not worried about gaining electronically-enhanced extra power, just reliability, so I would hope that this '3 engine is otherwise identical to the '2 - or I'm in big, big trouble with the Missus! :roll:

Another issue I'd like to resolve is the reason for my Rev 2's demise (several rattles, a cloud of oily smoke) - could it have been running too lean, over-revved and 'melted' one (or more) piston crown/rim/ring, etc? I ask, because it came with an enormous K&N Filter fitted, which sounds wickedly eerie on a bootful, but if it's taking in too much air, then it'll run lean & too hot in the combustion chambers, won't it? I had a motorcycle that detonated thus, years ago - that's why I ask. I wonder if I should find a standard filter set-up?

Over to you, O Wise Ones - your input will be very much appreciated...
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Have you got the engine loom and ecu with the Rev3 engine? That's the easiest way to do the swap with only minor rewiring. Though someone on here has done it with old loom and ECU apparently. You'll deffo need the Ex manifold and down-pipe.
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

No Rev 3 ECU/loom - this engine was bought from someone who got it from a "reputable source", so I'm keeping my fingers crossed a bit - that's why I want to strip it & check it over.

It's got the exhaust manifold and downpipe, ok, so that's a minor relief!

Surely, the engines can't be so different that the Rev2 bits & ECU/loom should fit & work, if I swap all the inlet/sensor/ect parts over? They certainly look the same...
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Aaaaargh! Why, oh, why did Toyota make so many variations on the 3S-GE?????

The lump I've bought may not be a Rev 3 after all, according to a spec-list I've read from a Tuning Company down-under - too many diffrences to the one I've got here (alloy sump's just one - this 'un's got a pressed steel sump), so a detailed "examinicashun" is wot'll happen now - first target, the cam cover(s), to determine what type of shim & bucket arrangement it's got (shim on top of bucket, it'll be Rev2; shim under bucket, Rev3, sez the Guru!)..,

Ho-hum! These money magnetic-MR2's ceratinly keep us on our toes, eh? :roll:
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Post a pic of it and I'm sure folk'll soon tell you. Basically if the inlet mnifold looks like your old one then you've got a Rev1/2 if it doesn't then you've got a Rev3+ :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Aaaaargh! Why, oh, why did Toyota make so many variations on the 3S-GE?????

...they didn't really. The SW20 only had 3 different 3SGE engines, these being the gen 2 (rev 1-2) the gen 3 (rev3-5) and the gen 4 (rev 5 JDM limited edition only). The tubby's got the gen 2 and 3 but not the gen 4 3SGTE engine. Forget "YAMAHA" -they did allot of head work for Toyota and their logo on the cam cover slips in. I've no idea what the gen 1 was fitted in but I know the gen 1 3SGTE was fitted in the ST165 Celica, am assuming the ST162 had the gen1 3SGE but never seen one. Any other relation to a "rev x" engine might mean its from a "rev x" MR2 which has different wiring and maybe a few mechanical bits and bobs but they should essentially be the same engines.

Have you tried a search as there's heaps on here regarding engine swaps (just remember to tick the "search for all terms" check box).
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Interestingly. I've had a whole pile of e-mails from various sources on this subject, and a bunch from an Australian tuning company - the latter detailed a load of things about the differences, primarily:

Rev 2... has pressed steel sump, oil filter tucked under exhaust manifold, cam-follower shims on top of buckets...

Rev 3... has an alloy sump, its oil filter screws into the side of the sump, and its shims are UNDER the cam follower buckets..

So, out I went with a torch, and what did I find? The lump fits the description of a REV 2!!!

I don't know whether to feel relieved that I've probably got the right engine, or should feel pee'd off about the mis-description (though that should really be a mistake by the first vendor, not the lad I bought it from).

Either way, just to be on the safe side before I leap up & down with premature glee, can anyone confirm those technical points are correct, please?

Good game, eh? ;-)
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Yep, sounds about right :thumleft: Easy swap for you then \:D/
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

The steel sump is misleading - they both have steel sump pans - with the Rev 3 having a two piece sump with an alloy top halve.

Best way to tell the blocks apart is the position of the oil filter
  • On rev 1 - 2 its on the front of the engine block at the top (you get at it from the top of the car)

• On Rev 3 its at the front of the block at the bottom (it actually mounts into a fitting on the ally part of the sump pan).

:) Bryan
B L Zebub

Post by B L Zebub »

Tis sussed, as of last Saturday - definitely a Rev 2: oil filter under zorst manifold, steel sump, shims on top of cam-follower buckets, everything else identical to my car's Rev 2 engine! :D

Mucho Gracias, Senors!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”