Auto or not..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev1Richie

Auto or not..

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi, I'm trying to find some like minded souls who own an Auto, just some guys to bounce ideas off pertaining to the auto variant, so, if you own an Auto, make yourself known to me, if you want to hide in shame, but still want to be involved, then PM me.

Cheers

Rich
raptor95GTS

Re: Auto or not..

Post by raptor95GTS »

ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

My Dad has a Rev 3 Auto, which I was using for around 3 months while my MR2 was off the road, and I find it highly useable, great acceleration when you choose the 'power' button and have the overdrive switched off.
Its just as economical as a manual, if you drive it properly, like any car, if you hammer it, it'll drink the juice.
Cracking car though, I wouldn't dismiss it from your list.
:thumleft:
fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

My father in law has a rev 1 auto. Whilst its slow off the mark (a lot slower than the manual) there was nothing in it when accelerating on the move (I had a UK rev 1 GT at the time).

There is a definate knack to driving them though and as he will regularly tell people in his broad east lancashire accent "eeeee you need to peg it back manually son!" Timing the upshift is critical too apparently/something of an art so you don't catch the rev limiter (there's a slight delay between moving the stick and when it actually changes up LOL)

They auto boxes must be strong too as he's had his a good few years now and regularly boots it!
TbarSAN

Post by TbarSAN »

Whereabouts are you???
You're welcome to try mine out if you're local :wink:
Mine's a rev3 t-bar :D
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Fellow Auto members, Thanks for your replies, its been great, Thanks.

i'd like to think that we can fire things around each other for advice, certainly the best way to use the box to get max use of it. I'm off for 2 weeks so i'll pick this up when i come back.

Thanks once again, and if there are any more out there, please join the thread.

Rich

ps i'm in Cambridge area.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I'm just north of cambridge, but manual though :roll:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

rev3 auto tintop for me :D
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi Guys, I'm back from Vegas,
Poorer, tired and wed!!

I've been trying to find out about the man/pwr buttons because i'm trying to get that bit of acceleration low down, i just feel that once into second and booting it , i just feel there's nothing there..to use a unkind phrase a bit Gutless.

Trouble is, i cant remember what my Rev1 n/a felt like, and i've been driving around in a 400bhp 300zx Twin turbo, so its bound to feel a bit poor.

But! do you other Auto guys have the same lack of omph... or is something not quite right.

Cheers guys

Rich
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

Have you turned off 'overdrive' ?
OwenK

Post by OwenK »

Not very helpful but just saying hello - I have a rev1 auto, but it's a project car living under a cover at the moment, I've only ever driven it from the trailer to its parking space when it was first delivered!
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Owen, dont worry, thanks for the intro, i'm sure as you progress we will have some discussions. so keep in touch.

rich
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

tosh, yeah the od is "off" which retards the change into 3rd, but i still feel there is something missing..as i said i could be wrong..

Cheers
Blackmr2gltd

Post by Blackmr2gltd »

Rev 2 Auto here

Is it properly warmed up when your trying to boot it? The Auto has a saftey setup which doesnt give you full power/kick down untill its warm.

I love mine and yes you do get used to getting the best out of it. Dont forget, you can also have it in the mode with neither of the buttons pressed in which I find best for day to day driving.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Edit: Scratch that, it's a Rev1 #-o
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi Guys,

So now i've got you on a thread, here's a question, i needed to get the gear lever off, no i got it to a position where the grip is pulled off but not separate. It is being held on with a blue wire, cant see how far i need to go to find a connector etc, so has anyone successfully fully removed the gear knob?

Thanks

Rich
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi guys, me again, found the answer to the gear lever, the blue cable goes under the framework where there is a connector to undo.

However, i now need another favour, i need to take off the foot rest for the left leg, no apparent screws, and i've pulled it all ways, but no give. Is there a knack to it?

Rich
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

2 big plastic screws, but their heads have the same tread pattern on as the footrest. Look very carefully at it and you should see them.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
ArmyMR2

Post by ArmyMR2 »

Hiya,

Mines Auto Too!! letting it warm up is key to getting the best out of it! Does anyone know how long these auto gearboxes last mileage wise???
Cheers
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hiya ArmyMR2, welcome to my gathering....i take it you are in the Army... where abouts are you based?

Rich

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”