window wipers dont move

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ross-taylor

window wipers dont move

Post by ross-taylor »

just got in my car today put the window wipers on they worked for a min then i heard a big bang and they stopped moving but the moter just sounds like its spinning. anyone got any idea of what this could be?

its hard to drive in the snow when you cant see.
MartG

Re: window wipers dont move

Post by MartG »

Probably the linkage popped off the motor - the bad news is that it's a bu88er to get to
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

where is the linkage? is it where the moter is?
MartG

Post by MartG »

From memory, there's a ball joint on the motor at the base of the windscreen - you'll need to remove the plastic air intake grilles to get to it
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

thats cool i will see if i can get the car out of the snow and have a look.

thanks mart
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

i just pulled the grills off and the linkage defo isnt conected to anything but i couldnt work out how to re conect it as you cant see a thing and i couldnt feel how it connected.

has anyone got a photo of the linkage off the car or a diragram?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Unfortunately it sounds like it's popped off at the motor, you'll have to remove the motor to see the damage.

The motor's a sod to remove as you need to stop it through half a cycle to get it's arm in the right position. Othewise it's 3 bolts. The motor is located behind the passenger side strut in the front boot.

If it's anything like the linkage my other half had break, the socket on the linkage was copletely split and couldn't be reattached and we had to get one off a breaker.

If you go to Toyota for a new one it'll set you back between £90 and £100. :(
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

yeah it is defo the moter that it is not conected too. i will have to try and get the moter off tomorrow i thought i might have to take that off to see what the problem was.

i serched everywhere for a pic of it so i could see how it conected with no luck al all.

im hoping its fixable as i dont really want to spend £100 on a new one
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

If you can download the repail manual from here:

http://manual.teq.org/

It's all on page 188. :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I might have a wiper motor removed from an SC if you want it?
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

im jut downloading the repair manual then i will have a look to see if i can fix it, if not then i probably would be interested in the motor if i need it. i will let you know what happens. ive got work tonight so hopefully look tomorrow.
sketch

Post by sketch »

ross-taylor wrote:im jut downloading the repair manual then i will have a look to see if i can fix it, if not then i probably would be interested in the motor if i need it. i will let you know what happens. ive got work tonight so hopefully look tomorrow.

It wont be the motor you need Ross, it'll be the linkage that's given up. :thumleft:
dmb89

Post by dmb89 »

had exactly the same thing happen the other day. Basically the motor arm had detached itself from the wiper linkage. I managed to fix it with no parts needed. All you need to do is: remove the wiper relay (black box next to the wiper motor), undo the bolts to secure the wiper motor, then once the motor is loose and you can see the motor arm through the hole you need to reattach the earth and wiper relay so that you can operate the motor. Turn the wipers on as usual but turn the ignition off before the wipers would normally finish a full sweep. You need to do this in order to get the motor off the car. Even when the arm is in this position it is a somewhat fiddly job to remove it. There is a plastic bush on the wiper linkage that connects to the motor arm mine was slightly damaged however i pieced it together and pushed the motor arm into the linkage and refitted the motor this is also very fiddly. It worked and has continued to work for me however the best option is to buy a new bush thing for the wiper linkage if it is damaged as there may be a chance that is could pop off easier in the future.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

thanks i did think i woiuldnt be the moter as i can still hear it spinning, i will take the motor off tomorrow and have a look i did try to get it off last night but couldnt work out how but i didnt turn them on and stop them or anything so that must have been the problem.
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Apparently this happens by design so that the motor doesn't burn out if the wipers get jammed, or so the AA man told me. Kind of makes sense, just a shame it's so fiddly to pop back on.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

it does make sence that it does it to stop the moters burning out but at the same time its really annoying.

i managed to push it back on and then turned the wipers on and it went half way up the window then popped off again.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Try putting a choccy bar wrapper over the ball joint before popping the linkage back on. If that doesn't work it's pretty much bu88ered. :(
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

i think that might be the last resort its a righ pain getting it on by its self tho so im dreading trying to do it as well as putting a choc bar repper on as well.

if that doesnt work tho can you just get the linkage on its own as the moter is working fine and the joint on that looks great from what i can see.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Toyota supply the linkage but it's the whole lot including the wiper mounting points, the motor isn't part of the package though. Either that or you could try one from a breaker but it's very hit and miss as to whether you get a good one.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

yeah if i have to get a new one i would get it brand new otherwise i migh get it fit it and it do excatly the same thing again. and that would suck.

i need to sort it tho i cant drive in the rain at the moment lol or drive past another person on a wet road its not really too safe.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”