opinions of different makes of tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan wheeldon

opinions of different makes of tyres

Post by alan wheeldon »

Just trying to gather peoples opinions on different tyre makes for a 225/50/15 tyre.

I am currently running a Toyo T1R and they grip great and I can tell when im just about to hit the tyres limit but there is a lot of side wall flex in them.

I would like a tyre with the same amount of grip (mainly in the wet) but with a harder side wall I think so Im trying to gather some info on what to maybe go for next :)
Harold

Re: opinions of different makes of tyres

Post by Harold »

Your Choice in 15 inch tyres is extremely limited, the performance tyres in this range consist of Toyo t1-r and falken ze912, and I think the toyos are supposed to be better. There are also the original mr2 tyre, the Yokohama a022, but these are 20 years old now and are no as capable as modern tyres and apparentely a bit rubbish in the wet. If you really want a wide choice then you'll have to get some 17s.
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

I think they make Uniroyal Rainsport 2's in stock MK2 wheel size (225/50/15) and they have brilliant reviews from MR2 owners! Awesome in the wet too and that obviously matters a lot in a mid engined, rear wheel drive vehicle with a reputation for going places sideways or backwards in the wet lol...

They're very very well priced too! :thumleft:

**EDIT**

I'm not sure if they still make them or not or if they do them in stock size either BUT, Bridgestone Potenza S02's are supposed to also be one of the very best tyre's to sit under an MR2... Don't touch the later S03's though, i've only heard negative comments about them...

Hope that helps! :-k
Ickyketseddie

Post by Ickyketseddie »

I've just put a set of falkens on mine. Its my first 2 and i've only owned it a few weeks so I guess not the best person to comment but I think they handle fine. Plenty grippy when pushing and fine in the wet too. Especially for the price. Got mine from camskill. HTH
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Would that be the new Falken ZE912 or the old FK451??
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Do Falkens still have a rounded side wall?

I had Falkens on my 106 and love the way the tire looked kinda streeched and sits in the arch

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Despite being so old I really liked the Yoko A022. My favourite so far when compared to the others iv'e had: T1R(good), P6000(seriously crap), Nexen Nsomething(crap) and Eagle F1 (good).
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

I've had the old Goodyear Eagle-F1 and they were great at first but as the rubebr aged they became worse and worse in the wet.

I now have Falken 451s (215/40/17) on the front and the grip is excellent in the dry or wet :thumleft:
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

DeusMR2 wrote:I now have Falken 451s (215/40/17) on the front and the grip is excellent in the dry or wet :thumleft:

Thanks for that but different size tyres have different affects on handling (due to sidewall etc...) so it was the characteristics of the 15's tyres that im after :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”