[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine is flooding when starting hot

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Eksterminator

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine is flooding when starting hot

Post by Eksterminator »

PROBLEM SOLVED - it has been cracked Cold Start Injector Timer Switch - the engine was running with extra fuel as cold all the time - disconnecting broken switch helps in this case.

I just done 1992 NA->Turbo conversion. The engine sounds very good and everything is OK against only one thing - The engine don't want to start when is hot - is flooding, and idles strange - mostly 1100-1200
RPM, but sometimes even over 2000RPM. When the engine is just idling for longer time it drops to around 900-950RPM - could be something wrong with fuel return pipes ? What should I check ? Everything looks like connected ok, but I'm not sure, cause my mechanic connect this.

I discovered that to run the hot engine again I need to loose the fuel banjo bolt, then pressure comes out, and I can run the engine normally - once engine is running I just need tight the bolt.
Is it normal that when the engine is turned off there's still big pressure in the fuel rail ? Shouldn't that return to the fuel tank ?

What could that be ?

Edit2:
I just noticed that there's some broken sensor plastic cover (I'm not sure if this kind of damage affect on his work ?) - Its close to water temperature sensor. What is this for ? Could that cause too high idling ?

Engine looks like very hot and when I stop the engine (even driving slow before) is very hot - I'm not sure about this cause it always looked like hot to me.

Edit3:
I just noticed that there's something missing under the engine - there's some free bracket for something - what should be fitted there ? Could that be the problem ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Return to “Mechanical”