[Mk2] [Turbo] [rev3] oil drain back from head? FIXED! - its PCV drain hose

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] [rev3] oil drain back from head? FIXED! - its PCV drain hose

Post by Bo »

jimGTS wrote:well considering the catchan attachs to the intake, its always "open" as such, just filtered...
i cant imagine it would "pull" anything in there

PCV hose from catchcan is connected to intake between air filter and turbo. accelerating makes vacuum here, thus it sucks out gases from the crankcase (and creates vacuum in the engine). if the drain hose of catchcan is left open, then there is no vacuum, just sucking unfiltered air throught the drain hose to turbo inlet because air filter is more restrictive than a hose with an open end. am i missing something?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

there is very little "pulling" of gases....

attaching hoses to the intake doesnt do a great deal to help the PCV, it doesnt draw out the gases as such...its simply a "enviromentally friendly" way to deal with these gases by putting them through the intake/turbo and engine.
i run all my PCV gases to atmos via a small filter..

am not saying air couldnt have been pulled in that open hose, just saying very unlikely anything "bad" would get sucked in like a stone or something, lol.
Bo

Post by Bo »

well the engine was rebuilt because of cylinders and rings worn out because of dust that was sucked in through Apexi cone filter while driving on gravel everyday :/
Anyway - putting a vacuum on PCV is a way of boosting 1% horsepower and limiting chances of crank seals blown (or blowing oil dipstick out). Racing cars route their pcv system to exhaust (with check valve) as the exhaust pulses develop a huge vacuum. Some just put a vacuum pump on their pcv system - its just less air that has to be moved in crankcase from one cylinder to another while pistons swap the up/down positions. improved piston ring seal, easier for oil squirters, etc..
Maybe its just a myth, but i have studied the PCV system principles enough to forbid myself putting a filter / atmosphere breather on the catchcan :D check A.Graham Bell book "Forced Induction Performance Tuning", 420pages but totally worth a read :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Bo wrote:well the engine was rebuilt because of cylinders and rings worn out because of dust that was sucked in through Apexi cone filter while driving on gravel everyday :/
Anyway - putting a vacuum on PCV is a way of boosting 1% horsepower and limiting chances of crank seals blown (or blowing oil dipstick out). Racing cars route their pcv system to exhaust (with check valve) as the exhaust pulses develop a huge vacuum. Some just put a vacuum pump on their pcv system - its just less air that has to be moved in crankcase from one cylinder to another while pistons swap the up/down positions. improved piston ring seal, easier for oil squirters, etc..
Maybe its just a myth, but i have studied the PCV system principles enough to forbid myself putting a filter / atmosphere breather on the catchcan :D check A.Graham Bell book "Forced Induction Performance Tuning", 420pages but totally worth a read :)

sounds interesting

tho a pro of venting to atmos being able to keep octane levels high, as your not routing these oily gases back into the engine. which also in turn means no oil build up in your boost pipes....this is likely to increase hp in my opinion compared to running a routed setup.
i havent seen a single mist of oil film in my boost pipes since going to a breather filter setup....

still, an open minded....
Bo

Post by Bo »

you can still keep oil out of combustion:
1) routing to exhaust, this is the ultimate way, but expensive
2) adding secondary catchcan between existing OEM cc and intake pipe. fill the can with strainless steel scrubber or chain, it will have enough area to get the oil out of air. I`ve seen it done with fuel filters like this, which takes out all oil and you can see through and drain when it has gathered some oil. Just have to make sure its not too restrictive (e.g. use bigger filter or combine multiple filters parallel)

Return to “Mechanical”