[Mk2] [Turbo] [rev3] oil drain back from head? FIXED! - its PCV drain hose

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bo

[Mk2] [Turbo] [rev3] oil drain back from head? FIXED! - its PCV drain hose

Post by Bo »

I`m a bit worried. Yesterday I got lots of oil under the engine. It spilled out from oil drain back hole from head. I have 1700km since break-in after rebuild. The mechanic had put a block-off plug with no fasteners and it probably went off from the pressure. Does it have to be blocked off??

I found this pic, i have no idea what engine it comes from:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1020/image040tu5.jpg
But that is the same port that was blocked off on my car. I couldnt find a spot on my car where it would lead to sump as in the picture. Does it have to be like this on rev3 or just blocked off from factory? Im worried if my bearings arent wearing out..

here is a quote from MR2 knowledgebase about Altezza:

Oil drain from the head
The Altezza engine runs an oil drain down from the head, that the FWD engine doesnt have.
The FWD engine has something similar, but it's at the top of the rocker cover; the RWD one is down
lower.
The FWD engine obviously uses gravity to drain the oil back out of the head, as it's on a lean.
If you wish to use a FWD engine in a RWD setup, this is potentially important. You could get oil drain
back issues, where the head fills up with oil, and the oil pickup sucks dry, which usually results in
your bearings giving up.
If you use the Altezza rear water outlet, (Which has the oil drain integrated) and tap a hole into the
FWD head to suit, you can run this oil return to the sump.
The FWD engine has a big pipe running from the rear of the rocker cover back down to the sump, it
leads to the same place in the sump as the RWD one.
You'd want to block this off, if you're using the RWD oil drainback.
Last edited by Bo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] [rev3] oil drain back from head? FIXED! - its PCV drain hose

Post by jimGTS »

need a picture of your setup and the pipe your talking about.

are you talking about the catch can drain line, or turbo drain line??
Bo

Post by Bo »

jimGTS wrote:need a picture of your setup and the pipe your talking about.

are you talking about the catch can drain line, or turbo drain line??

well its impossible to take a pic, it was hardly possible to put on a new plug yesterday with the car lifted. The intake manifold, catchcan, ignition leads and "hundreds" of vacuum lines are covering the plug to be seen.. it can be seen though from left side at one point when you look between 2 and 2 of ignition leads that come out of distributor. its at the same spot as in the picture posted, but a hose has nowhere to go :/ i`ll take a look where my catchcan oil line goes, maybe i can connect those two with a T-piece..
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if you have a stock rev3+ catchcan, there is a drain line on there that goes to a similar position on the head....

you either need to block both ends, or join those lines...
Bo

Post by Bo »

yeah the catchcan drains back to the top of valve cover. but the nipple is on the side of head right above the water by-pass nipple on the block.

looking at these diagrams of 91 sw20 bgb, i cant see that oil would flow downwards from that corner :/
http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... stem/1.htm
maybe its indeed blocked off at factory?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the catchan has a drain line that drains to a nipple in the head by the inlet manifold..... it doesnt drain into the valve cover.

pretty sure all lines that side of the engine are coolent based apart from the catchcan drain hose....

firewall side is all oil based.....

distributor oil seal?? thats the only place my old rev2 leaked oil from that side of the engine...

without a picture, this is really going to be tricky to help, lol

theres no reason why you cant get a picture of this by removing a few things....
Bo

Post by Bo »

i`ma check the piping now and maybe take a ew pics, its dark though here in north europe..
i looked through st205 BGB and couldnt find anything. maybe its the catch can thats routed wrong..
Bo

Post by Bo »

ok, its really the PCV drain back hose that should be there, i found the other end open! what was the mechanic thinking, wtf.
the pipe from PCV can is rather long and it goes to throttlebody then turns 180 degrees and endz up under water elbow and there its just with an open end. the pipe is about 50-70cm long - does it have to be like that? if i plug it to the nipple it would hang some 20cm downwards..

thanks guys anyway!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Bo wrote:ok, its really the PCV drain back hose that should be there, i found the other end open! what was the mechanic thinking, wtf.
the pipe from PCV can is rather long and it goes to throttlebody then turns 180 degrees and endz up under water elbow and there its just with an open end. the pipe is about 50-70cm long - does it have to be like that? if i plug it to the nipple it would hang some 20cm downwards..

thanks guys anyway!

the PCV can has nothing to do with the throttlebody....

the only thing coming off the TB is the 2 coolent lines and the ISC vac line.....

only thing coming off the PCV catchan is a pipe that goes to the intake, and a drain line which fits to the side of the head, obviously also the large line attaching valve cover to the catch...
Bo

Post by Bo »

i didnt mean it goes to throttle body, it goes under it, makes a loop and then ends up under water elbow, thats why i didnt notice it cause i thought it ends somewhere where it should be. but tracing by hand (impossible to see there) did lead to an open end of the pipe. I`m just wondering why its so long, maybe wrong pipe :/
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Bo wrote:i didnt mean it goes to throttle body, it goes under it, makes a loop and then ends up under water elbow, thats why i didnt notice it cause i thought it ends somewhere where it should be. but tracing by hand (impossible to see there) did lead to an open end of the pipe. I`m just wondering why its so long, maybe wrong pipe :/

nothing from the catchcan should go under or near the throttlebody...

only thing that loops back off the throttlebody is coolent lines and a large vac line....none of which are connected to the PCV catchcan

the large vac pipe also leads to and attaches to the intake....
Bo

Post by Bo »

i didnt say connected :) its just bent to go under TB along the fuel rail then makes a turn back. anyway - could the hose be 50-70cm, ior its just 20cm from catchcan to the head PCV port on the side?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the drain line for catchcan must be a good 15-20cm i would guess....
goes straight from catchcan, hooks around the fuel rail inbetween injector 3 and 4 and hooks onto the head, as said, doesnt go near the TB
Bo

Post by Bo »

then he has put some other wrong pipe elsewhere. i just cant stand giving 3sgte engines to mechanics, they always mess something up, wich i had garage to fix everything on my own..

thanks, you helped me a lot!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

still, be good if you can take some pictures just to confirm, and see if anyone else on the forum has some ideas

but pics would help loads, especially in these areas, fuel rail, TB, catchcan and distributor...maybe one under the inlet manifold on the distributor side...

i dont wona convince you its something it may not be just yet
:eye:
Bo

Post by Bo »

will post in the evening, have no card reader for camera at work..
Bo

Post by Bo »

ok, some pics..

just regular overview of catch can and its drain hose going down (to somewhere?):

Marked the hardly visible block off pipe on PCV oil return to head:

PCV drain hose going down hidden under everything. it has open end.

Got the PCV hose end up and tapped it with a big bolt (more visible and doesnt suck anything inside during acceleration):

Pic from under the car, you can see that the PCV nipple has been blocked. It should not be like that.

PCV drain hose fitted back to head, everything finished:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yep looks good to me :mrgreen:

glad i could be of help, thats definatly the catchcan drain hose and drain nipple attached on the head
:thumleft:
Bo

Post by Bo »

yeah it would be much harder for me to figure this out, cause we couldnt find a hose with an open end and I wouldnt think of the PCV :)

How much damage could have I done driving like this for 1700km? As I understand an open end pretty much kills the needed vacuum in crankcase, also it could have sucked in some stuff when driving (i`ve been on gravel also :/)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

well considering the catchan attachs to the intake, its always "open" as such, just filtered...
i cant imagine it would "pull" anything in there

Return to “Mechanical”