4AGE budget cam install and tuning

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vashy

Re: 4AGE budget cam install and tuning

Post by vashy »

JMR_AW11 wrote:But it might be that I've still missed something and somehow made an error as 36 to 37deg seems really high? :-k

I guess, from your apparent disbelief after extracting the figure from the code AND separately testing it, that 37 degrees is a lot of advance for high load/rpm!

I guess the 4AGE just likes a lot of advance! maybe short stroke and relatively low compression contribute?
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
vashy

Post by vashy »

JMR_AW11 wrote:Yes you read the maps right.

However, >36degrees advance seems really high to me so I'm wondering if I've got something wrong in the map scaling.

However, I have put the ECU on a virtual (electronic) MR2 jig where I feed it dummy dizzy signals for Ne and G and all other sensors etc.

The ECU thinks it is in a running MR2 and I can measure the timing on a scope. The result I get agrees with what I got from reading the ECU code and the scaling of the ignition timing in the code.

Also, I can find the bit of code that sets the timing to 10deg BTDC for the service mode (T to E1 link fitted)

This shows the right value for 10deg BTDC.

But it might be that I've still missed something and somehow made an error as 36 to 37deg seems really high? :-k

I did wonder if the cambelt stretches slightly at high rpm and Toyota compensate for this in the map? So the 36 deg is really a couple of degrees less than this as a stretched belt will retard the timing?

Apologies in advance if this theory is pants :lol:

I just confirmed your results.

I got a timing light off egay with timing advance setting for 25quid delivered 8)

I set my ignition timing, and confirmed the timing advance on the gun: with the gun set to zero advance, I see the middle (10degree) marker, with the gun set to 10 degrees, I see the first (0) marker. I can do the same trick with 16.

Now, I can use the adjustable advance to read the amount of advance I'm getting at any revs. When I hold the revs at about 5500, the advance I get is... somewhere between 50 and 55.

This matches your light load graph line :thumleft:
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nice work John. :+:

Even nicer figures from the rollers. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
vashy

Post by vashy »

cheers Lauren!

hehehe I was wondering when someone would notice :mrgreen:
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
vashy

Post by vashy »

cam timing

From what I have read, you should be able to slot the HKS cams into the stock cam gears and you should get the recommended cam timing, or pretty close.

However I am using an exhaust cam slotted into the intake cam gear. Also, on the dyno printout, my peak torque rpm is quite high...

I looked at my cam cards. The exhaust cam peak lobe position (maximum valve opening) is 110deg BTDC. The stock exhaust cam peak lobe opening point is at 111degBTDC (source: club4ag.com technical section). So the exhaust cam recommended timing is 1 degree earlier than stock, and this is what I think you get if you put it in the stock exhaust cam gear.

Next I looked at the intake cam. The recommended peak lobe position for my cam is 105degATDC. For the stock cam, it is 111degATDC.

This is where things get a little complicated.

The HKS intake cam, if I had it, would reach peak opening 6 degrees earlier than the stock cam. It would do this when slotted into the stock cam gear, and this would be it's recommended base setting.

However I am using the exhaust cam, which has only one degree of advance built into it, i.e. it will reach peak opening one degree earlier than stock, when slotted into the stock cam gear.

So, my exhaust cam (on the intake) is opening 5 degrees later than the recommended setting for the proper HKS intake cam. In other words I have 5 degrees of retard on my intake cam timing. Retard on the intake cam gives you.... a peak torque shifted to higher RPM!

I guess what I should do is degree my cams to confirm it, but in the meantime, any comments/formulas/abuse is welcome!
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
vashy

Post by vashy »

I've got some results from a decent dyno! Ajec Racing, who now come highly recommended by me.

I did some runs with my modified ECU and then changed to a stock ECU from Limeymk1 to see if there was any change in AFR which might indicate increased fuelling, but there wasn't, unfortunately. Run 002 is one of the runs with the modified ECU; run 006 is with the stock ECU. The AFR changes were not significantly different from the slight variation between runs. There did seem to be a slight difference in power, which makes me wonder if I am getting the alternate ignition map but not the increased fuelling. It's only very slight so it's hard to be sure. After I got back I rechecked the pin to make sure it was still being grounded and it was. Jeremy, if you read this, please let me know if you think of any other checks I should do!

Anyway, onto the results!!

comments are welcome!

The dip on the power curve at the end is the rev limiter, by the way (:

Now the AFRs

So, I have confirmed from the AFRs that you can use these cams safely with the stock ECU. In fact, at around 12.5 I think there is some margin for a little more duration!

Future plans: well I'm just going to drive it for now! OK really, the next stage would be to get a 272 cam, swap the 264 to the exhaust and run the 272 on the intake. At this stage I expect I really will need cam gears; this would let me advance the intake cam timing and reduce overlap with exhaust until the idle was OK. I wonder if I would need a mod to give me extra fuel at this stage, too.

edit-image links fixed!
Last edited by vashy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Hi Vashy

If the pin is grounded you will get both the extra fuel map and the ignition map.

They switch together and you can't have one without the other.

Is there any way you could check to see if the injectors are going 100% duty on a flat out run? If they are then the extra map can't add any more fuel.

Can you check AFR on a part throttle run and maybe switch the logic level in and out?

The non stock map should give less advance so I assume it will give less power as long as you don't get detonation. I don't know how much the change in pwer would be.

Have I read the AFRs correctly because it looks like the modded ECU is running slightly weaker than the stock one? That doesn't make sense.

Also, is the rpm scale shifted to the left by one box?
34atm85

Post by 34atm85 »

vashy wrote:I've got some results from a decent dyno! Ajec Racing, who now come highly recommended by me.

I did some runs with my modified ECU and then changed to a stock ECU from Limeymk1 to see if there was any change in AFR which might indicate increased fuelling, but there wasn't, unfortunately. Run 002 is one of the runs with the modified ECU; run 006 is with the stock ECU. The AFR changes were not significantly different from the slight variation between runs. There did seem to be a slight difference in power, which makes me wonder if I am getting the alternate ignition map but not the increased fuelling. It's only very slight so it's hard to be sure. After I got back I rechecked the pin to make sure it was still being grounded and it was. Jeremy, if you read this, please let me know if you think of any other checks I should do!

Hi Vashy,

I exactly found the same as you said. The ECu is well enough to support the cams. The only thing you have to be careful is the EGT numbers. Retarded car may cause high EGT's. I can tell you that richer ratio over 12.3 is not needed. Because I have the Wideband I can see exactly what happens. If your map sensor is reading correctly than the ecu provides enough fuel without any issues. I have seen 10.5 AFR, when I started acceleration from 4th gear 2000 RPM. The afr numbers were like 16.5 (I made it like this for economy) while cruising, but when I started acceleration, it first went down to 10.5, than 11.2. than 12. than 12.3 and stayed around 12.3 and 12.5 at WOT. ECU can arrange the amount of the fuel needed by the cam setup up to 272, totally correct but we have to be careful about the timing and EGT.

Just my experience, by the way I found my issue with my car. The cam followers were not staying at the top of the valves and this was causing different valve opening at different times. I ordered 16 cam followers and waiting for them :)

thx

Erin.
34atm85

Post by 34atm85 »

JMR_AW11 wrote:Hi Vashy

If the pin is grounded you will get both the extra fuel map and the ignition map.

Is there any way you could check to see if the injectors are going 100% duty on a flat out run? If they are then the extra map can't add any more fuel.

Can you check AFR on a part throttle run and maybe switch the logic level in and out?

The non stock map should give less advance so I assume it will give less power as long as you don't get detonation. I don't know how much the change in pwer would be.

Have I read the AFRs correctly because it looks like the modded ECU is running slightly weaker than the stock one? That doesn't make sense.

Hi Jeremy

Do we need higher AFR (richer) as long as 13.0 to 12.5 is the optimum AFR to get the most out of the engine with setups like Vashy and I have. We are not going to get anymore HP without raising the Limiter cut and with a richer AFR at WOT is not giving additional power. Just thinking loudly please correct if I am wrong. for a turbo setup optimum is around 11.8 - 11.2 AFR (not very high boost) and 13.0 to 12.3 for N/A applications. (mild upgrades)

I may have wrong info or misunderstanding, please correct me.

Warm regards

Erin.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

34atm85 wrote:
JMR_AW11 wrote:Hi Vashy

Hi Jeremy

Do we need higher AFR (richer) as long as 13.0 to 12.5 is the optimum AFR to get the most out of the engine with setups like Vashy and I have. We are not going to get anymore HP without raising the Limiter cut and with a richer AFR at WOT is not giving additional power. Just thinking loudly please correct if I am wrong. for a turbo setup optimum is around 11.8 - 11.2 AFR (not very high boost) and 13.0 to 12.3 for N/A applications. (mild upgrades)

I may have wrong info or misunderstanding, please correct me.

Warm regards

Erin.

Hi Erin
I'm not really an engine tuner so I think you will probably know more about optimum AFR etc than me :D

My questions really just related to the minor changes made to the ECU to alter the ignition timing and fuelling. The graphs didn't really seem to agree eith the changes. It is possible that the stock ECU they were using was defaulting to the same maps as the 17070 ECU can swap between the regular map and the safer map on its own. eg if there is a fault code etc.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Hi John

I just read this thread from the start and has some really helpful stuff in it, I will keep you informed of my progress

I recently bought a highly modded mk1 from these hallowed pages,

It has been fitted with HKS 264 cams (both Exhaust cams)
Also its been fitted the HKS Adjustable vernier pulleys :mrgreen: (which the seller didn't even mention)

The head is also ported and polished etc

It was running A full HKS induction kit and also a full magnex exhaust system,

The seller told me he had had it dyno'd at 144wbhp @ 7000 rpm

The head gasket has now gone on it,

The plan is to do a full rebuild using these parts and perhaps a few other nice mods :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

144whp! Wow that would be fantastic.

Strangely enough I was reading this thread again the other day and was feeling embarrassed that I still haven't done anything with my cams and pulleys :oops:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I might have a pair of 45DCOE webers available once we rebuild the rally engine with zx10r TBs.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

LeSpank wrote:144whp! Wow that would be fantastic.

Strangely enough I was reading this thread again the other day and was feeling embarrassed that I still haven't done anything with my cams and pulleys :oops:

Yeah that's what he said but I'm not 100% sure that's even achievable out of an N/A with just those mods. so the engine will be coming out when my back is better :evil:

The seller told me that he does have the dyno graph but has lost/misplaced it somewhere in his house along with a brand new TRD head gasket and a unichip, I'm :pray: he finds these.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
vashy

Post by vashy »

wow, lots of interest then!

Jeremy - You did read the AFRs correctly. We did three runs with each ECU, and the AFRs changed a bit on each run. Could this be coolant temperature differences making the ECU change the fuelling slightly do you think? Anyway the change you see is typical of this variation, so I don't think it's significant. Perhaps the fuelling increase is too small to see..? I'm not too worried as it looks like the stock ECU gives enough fuel anyway. I have gone back the stock ECU since the dyno and the low rpm throttle response feels slightly different now. I think that the modified ECU actually felt more responsive at low rpm. And the stock ECU does give more power on the graph from 4500rpm, like you suggested might happen. So perhaps I was getting the alternative map..? (also - let me know what you meant by 'rpm scale shifted to the left'..?)

Erin - So you got 12.5 at high rpm/WOT too, it's good that we confirmed each other's results! and that's a nice lean economy cruise AFR. I hope your new cam followers solve your problem. Hey you have cam gears don't you? How much difference does it make when you change the timing?

AW11rally - I would get 4 throttles (just for the noise!), if this wasn't such a budget tune. It would be good though; you could tune the intake length to whatever you want, because you can just cut a hole into the boot. Then you've got plenty of space for some fat ass filters, then just feed the boot with cold air. ZX10, is that carbs or fuel injection?

LeSpank - what cams have you got then?

oukie - Wow, what a find! get it running!! why are you taking the engine out/rebuilding?! Can you not just fit a new HG in situ? Maybe a good project for the resto show..?
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
aw11rally

budget.....hmmm

Post by aw11rally »

The ZX10R uses injection these days so they are TBs off a 2009 bike therefore 8 injectors. Will be controlling it all with DTA.

As for sound....surely you could stretch to a set ob GSX-R carbs (£70ish off ebay) and a home made intake manifold of some description (or £150 from bogg bros)
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

vashy, these are mine:

HKS brand 256 duration, 8.1 lift. If you remember earlier on when you posted the thread I was asking all manner of 'noob' questions about vernier pulleys (I also own a set) and additional set-up.

And unfortunately this thread has confused me a few times? From your dyno results have you proved that an increase in fuelling isn't essential because of the way the car over-fuels by default at high revs?
vashy

Post by vashy »

AW11rally - carbs haha! Thanks for looking them up for me though. ActualIy I shouldn't laugh; I remember yours was doing pretty well with carbs..? I guess what I should do is fit a big filter off the throttle body; I still have the mk1b pipework that goes round the boot. I like it because it feeds cold air and the filter has a large surface area, but I think the restriction to the flow probably becomes significant when peak power is at 7600rpm :eye:

LeSpank - I just went back to read your other posts; ah yes, that was it, you found them in a rolling shell you bought for pretty much the same price I got my cams for 8)

LeSpank wrote:From your dyno results have you proved that an increase in fuelling isn't essential because of the way the car over-fuels by default at high revs?

Yes, that's correct, not only not essential but not necessary at all. Erin actually discovered this first, and I confirmed it with the dyno above.

I've actually learned a lot since the first post, but I can't edit it now. If anything needs clarifying, please let me know!
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

oukie - Wow, what a find! get it running!! why are you taking the engine out/rebuilding?! Can you not just fit a new HG in situ? Maybe a good project for the resto show..?

John

I felt the best way would be to drop the engine because it warrents further inspection because its not the original engine and its not even a UK car engine as it has JDM stickers on it and may :pray: be a later lump (AE92???) with the oil squirter's etc.

Chris
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

oukie wrote:

I felt the best way would be to drop the engine because it warrents further inspection because its not the original engine and its not even a UK car engine as it has JDM stickers on it and may :pray: be a later lump (AE92???) with the oil squirter's etc.

Chris

Best way to check this is look for the external oil drainfrom the head to the block

you can see the oil drain back into the block on this picture

It will be under the intake manifold

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”