Driving with front wings removed?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo_Jet

Driving with front wings removed?

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Here's one for you, is it legal to drive with any of your body panels missing?

I need to do some work on my front wings which could mean that they are off the car for a good few days and just wondered if it's still legal to dive from a pedestrian impact point of view?

Any thoughts? :-k
chorlton

Re: Driving with front wings removed?

Post by chorlton »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:Here's one for you, is it legal to drive with any of your body panels missing?

I need to do some work on my front wings which could mean that they are off the car for a good few days and just wondered if it's still legal to dive from a pedestrian impact point of view?

It's unlawful on the basis that the wheels should not extrude further than any piece of bodywork, that's an MOT failure, and on that basis you'd absolutely be stopped and charged.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

chorlton wrote:
Jimbo_Jet wrote:Here's one for you, is it legal to drive with any of your body panels missing?

It's unlawful on the basis that the wheels should not extrude further than any piece of bodywork, that's an MOT failure, and on that basis you'd absolutely be stopped and charged.

Would have thought that the wheel arch liners would still keep you legal on that point if left in place.

Unsure on the overall legality though. Could always make up some temporary wings from cardboard though :lol:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

:lol: Yeah good idea! I thought it wouldn't be legal after seeing what kit cars have to go through on the SVA test with regards to protruding edges.

Think I'm going to need to get a couple of temporary wings in any colour or any state of rot to put on while I do the work. Anyone got any going cheap or that I could loan in the North West? :wink:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Absolutly a non starter, you have to consider what might happen if you were involved in an accident involving a pedestrian. No part of you car can have sharp edges exposed thats why every edge on the bodywork of cars has a slight rounding off to it, think it's 3mm radius it has to be. So with no wings you most certainly wouldn't comply.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Have you not considered getting fibreglass wings instead? They are not that expensive and don't rust.

Honeybourne Mouldings do them.

Might be worth considering.... Can keep current ones on, sort those and then fit them and not worry about them rusting!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Yeah, I had wondered about fibreglass and I see CarBen Fibre advertising their wings on ebay all the time but I don't know anyone who's used them yet? I also remember Mr Woods once saying that he'd rather run with no wings than fibreglass ones. (?) Are there any real issues with fibreglass wings?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I think the fittment issues with the Honeybourne ones have been pretty much ironed out as Cassi had no trouble fitting hers. No idea about any other brands though.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Don’t know about the MR2 Mk1 wings in fibreglass but the ones that where originally on my Triumph Spitfire years ago where a nightmare with paint cracking and flexing all the time.
CarBen Fibre Creations

Post by CarBen Fibre Creations »

We have sold quite a few pairs of MK1 wings, at first I'll admit we had a few small problems as you do but now they are ok and I get no negative feedback from customers :D
triplecustard

Post by triplecustard »

chorlton wrote:It's unlawful on the basis that the wheels should not extrude further than any piece of bodywork, that's an MOT failure, and on that basis you'd absolutely be stopped and charged.

It is NOT an mot failure.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

triplecustard wrote:
chorlton wrote:It's unlawful on the basis that the wheels should not extrude further than any piece of bodywork, that's an MOT failure, and on that basis you'd absolutely be stopped and charged.
It is NOT an mot failure.

No, but it is "driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition". I'd expect to be stopped and issued with a vehicle rectification notice forcing you to sort it or scrap it within 14 days, and organise a lift to the garage too. Expensive.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”