Aggressive Diff causing Torque Steer?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Matt_Cooper

Aggressive Diff causing Torque Steer?

Post by Matt_Cooper »

I have recently bought an MR2 from Rogue Motorsport, which happens to be a V6 and was in the for sale section on here. I will be picking it up in a couple of weeks.

I had been informed that the LSD fitted to the car was very aggressive, and advised by Partick and Matt that the car have a standard gearbox fitted for road use, and upon the test drive i found out why...

Slow turning in the car park meant you could feel the diff trying to bite and lock the wheels, which is fine, although i have never experienced that before...

However, at high speed, when throttling on or off, the car would tilt to one side and could feel a little disconcerting.

My question is this :

Is this "diving" motion a characterstic of a strong diff or is it torque steer due to the high powered V6, or is it something completely different, like wheel alignment/tyre pressures etc?

The car has clearly been meticulously maintained, and i am in no doubt that the conversion/maintenance has been carried out to the highest standard, as with all of Rogue's work.

Is this something that i will get used to and adapt to, or sholuld i swap it in favour of a standard LSD box?
SFLee

Re: Aggressive Diff causing Torque Steer?

Post by SFLee »

2 way LSD ? design for drifting by any chance
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

yeah I got a 2 way diff on mine, and for road use I would rather take it off..but cba to do so now :)

if your only going to use it as a road car, you would be better of with a stock LSD box IMHO
Matt_Cooper

Post by Matt_Cooper »

Well Rogue seemed to think it would be best suited for track work, so i guess it could be a drifting diff...

Sounds like fun!!! :twisted:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

I have a kaaz 2way slip diff fitted to my mr2, as you described its clunky when goin slow on full lock etc but I kind of like that, I'm also using it for road use while I run the engine in, but I havnt exsperianced what you have decribed after lifting of the throttle, personaly I think there fine for road use even everyday use just something you have to get used to and also let's you leave big number 11's down the road lol :D
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”