Radweld

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mike

Radweld

Post by mr2mike »

Hi,

I just wanted a concensus of opinion on Radweld as I know some people have said it's more trouble than it's worth, but my car has recently sprung a couple of small but high-pressure leaks in the radiator and I have no intention of keeping the car for more than another 3 months (ish), so was wondering if it would serve as a short-term solution or if it really is the stuff of the Devil, as many on here suggest.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

Mike.
3S Service Centre

Re: Radweld

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Dont do it.

Ive opened up numerous engines that have been foobed due to those orrible products.
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

So instead bodge it up and screw it for the next person :thumleft:

£100. Rad replaced. Job done.
mr2mike

Post by mr2mike »

Skywalker wrote:So instead bodge it up and screw it for the next person :thumleft:

£100. Rad replaced. Job done.

Thanks guys but £100 is out of the question as that's a lot of money to me so I do NOT want to fix the car properly and instead want to just get it to be usable for the next couple of months and then I'm not fussed after that.

Please advise if Radweld will fulfill this purpose and not worry about the long-term health of the car as a result.

Regards,

Mike.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

No it won't, you can risk damaging the car early.

Go on ebay or something and buy a 2nd hand rad, always better.
If you get a new rad, you will up the re-sale value as you can assure one less thing that will need replacing/fixing for a while to the new owner.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

If you put radweld in your engine you are a pleb. nuff said.
paul port

Post by paul port »

So... Radweld works by dissolving into the coolant and solidifying on contact with air as it leaks out of the Radiator...
So what happens when it is pushed HOT out of the cooling system to the Non-pressurised 'open to air' expansion tank of the MR2?

It does not sound like a good idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if it started leaving deposits under the rad cap as a tell tale for the next potential owner.

As a cheapo option... does "Pinching off" the affected pipes with a pair of long-nose pliers work these days - or are modern flimsy aluminium rads likely just to break? This assumes your rad isn't just weeping at the end-tank weld joints (as my last aftermarket one did)... I still replaced said Rad barely 2 months before selling it - and stuck a better condition Aircon rad on as well.
TbarSAN

Post by TbarSAN »

My GF put some Radweld in her corolla before she sold it :-$
The car wasn't in good condition and the radiator wasn't worth replacing.
She only sold it for £200 :whistle:

I'll only recommend it if your 2 is worth below £500.
The Radweld might not last for more than a few weeks,depending how much you drive your 2 and how you drive it.
I think a second-hand radiator would be much better.

I'll feel very sorry for the next owner though :(

I hope he/she doesn't read this.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

mr2mike wrote: I do NOT want to fix the car properly

](*,)
RST

Post by RST »

My only experience of RadWeld was on my old civic -cost me a couple of quid for the pack of rad weld which lasted about 3 weeks then when the car packed in it cost me £100 for the radiator I should have bought in the first place and £300for a head skim, gasket kit and thermostat when the head gasket blew. Garage wanted £1,200 to fix -I was skint at the time and it took months for me to do it myself out on the street in the middle of winter.

...Don't do it! You will be miles better laying the car off the road and not driving it and saving up for a proper fix rather than sticking something like that in. Even if you're not keeping it for more than 3 months you'll still need to fix it before you sell it. Looking back my £2 packet of radweld cost me over £400+ when it should have cost me £100 to fix first time.

Thanks guys but £100 is out of the question as that's a lot of money to me so I do NOT want to fix the car properly and instead want to just get it to be usable for the next couple of months and then I'm not fussed after that.

...EDIT Just saw this -that's a shame -badly maintined cars are a nightmare when it comes to buying.
mr2mike

Post by mr2mike »

NDR008 wrote:No it won't, you can risk damaging the car early.

Go on ebay or something and buy a 2nd hand rad, always better.
If you get a new rad, you will up the re-sale value as you can assure one less thing that will need replacing/fixing for a while to the new owner.

Fair enough guys.

Rest assured that based on what you've all said I will not be touching any Radweld.

I apologise if I've annoyed any of you with my carefree attitude to the maintenance of my 2, but I've had a lot of financial problems recently and my car has cost me quite a lot in the last few months and it was the final straw when the radiator started squirting coolant.

I still intend to sell the car in a few months but for the time being I will look at alternative fixes for the problem.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

It's this sort of thingt hat the forum is great for because I had an open mind about Radweld originally as I didn't have any experience of it, but now I definitely won't touch the stuff.

Ciao,

Mike.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Try the items wanted section for a used radiator
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

I have a used rad from a turbo that looks pretty good, drop me a pm or reply to my thread if your interested, pics are there too. I'll even throw in a few O rings as these normally go too!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139729

If you used radweld you WILL be back posting up problems with bleeding/overheating and air lock issues. The result will be the same, fix it properly!
Last edited by foxy-stoat on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
Matt_Cooper

Post by Matt_Cooper »

K-Seal worked a treat on my Astra redtop.

The heater matrix burst, the waterpump gasket was weeping and it'd use 1 litre of water a day.

I K-Sealed it, and never used a drop of water again! That was over ayear ago! :D

I wouldnt wanna do it to a nice car though... [-X

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”