false advertisement

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

false advertisement

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Anyone looking at this car

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2761.l1259

The newly fitted engine has done 62k miles, but the chap has told me the old engine had covered 110k miles.

This is not a low mileage example.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: false advertisement

Post by Tiamat »

How is it false advertising? He says in the advert that a new engine was fitted....
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

surely listing it as 62k!!!! when its really done 110k overall isnt telling the truth?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:surely listing it as 62k!!!! when its really done 110k overall isnt telling the truth?

I would have listed it the same, and put in about new engine as he has done.

More likely to get interest that way.

He has been honest. If you don't ask what the mileage was of the rest of the car then more fool you.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah I suppose so, im just whining. But then, I'll be able to list my car a car with an engine thats only covered 5.5k miles lol
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Yeah I suppose so, im just whining. But then, I'll be able to list my car a car with an engine thats only covered 5.5k miles lol

But has it? Or was it rebuilt 5.5K miles ago, big difference.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

surely listing it as 62k!!!! when its really done 110k overall isnt telling the truth?

I'm with you on this one Red, the way people advertise sometimes is terrible. The overall mileage of the car is more important than the engine alone but that's what he chose to go with.

I would have listed it the same, and put in about new engine as he has done.

More likely to get interest that way.

He has been honest. If you don't ask what the mileage was of the rest of the car then more fool you.

If the car had done 210k instead of 110k would you still be putting 62k on the listing?
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

That is pure misleading and nothing else. Yes its been used as a selling point, but it would be a selling point any way the fact that the engine has been replaced for a lower milage block or whatever . Its not a low mileage model as stated and the advert has been written to make you think it is.

might be worth a shot either way though looks o.k :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The advert has been written to draw maximum attention. The same way we all would.

If he hadn't admitted the engine swop then would be more suspicious, but I admit, I would put 62,000 miles in my header to get attention too.
jimi

Post by jimi »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Anyone looking at this car

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2761.l1259

The newly fitted engine has done 62k miles, but the chap has told me the old engine had covered 110k miles.

This is not a low mileage example.

:? the picture of the speedo shows the mileage as being 62776 so where does the 110k miles come from ? Either the speedo is correct, in which case there's nothing wrong with the ad or it's been "clocked" which is illegal
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

I have asked the seller the question about correct mileage and go this reply in caps.!

THE CURRENT MOT PASSED 12 MONTHS NOW IS SHOWING 62OOOMILES , I STILL GOT PREVIOUS MOTS WHICH SHOWS 110,000MILES , CALL ME ILL EXPLAIN TO YOU AS YOU ARE CONFUSED
end quote
no I'm not confused, buy a car with low mileage, swap both engine and clocks this does not make the recipient car a low mileage example, just makes it a car with a newer engine and clocks showing wrong mileage. not illegal unless seller tries to hide the fact that mileage shown "may not be correct" as he is offering old MOT certs. then its cosher (ish)
calling me confused kind of indicates he thinks he's a clever seller and I'm a mug punter.
I'll leave this one
I have a set of 70K clocks in the shed if anyone needs to make some extra cash, No? thought not!
jimi

Post by jimi »

:shock: It may not be illegal but it's immoral and just plain wrong :mad:
Confused ? I don't think so. He should have the true mileage of the car in the ad otherwise he's just trying to con some unsuspecting punter. If he's willing to do that what else about the car could cause "confusion" ? I'd walk away.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

He told me I'd lost the plot when I mentioned it out of courtesy that the car has not done 62k miles overall.

I didn't see the clocks Jimi.

How can you get mots that show 110k then get one that says 62k? I do not understand.

He gave me the impression he thinks with the change of engine everything else is low mileage as well, like the shocks and brakes etc

Nice car, I'd love a mica blue one, I admit got drawn to the mileage, but I asked the question immediately of the overall mileage which interested me more.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This is what id rather spend my money on!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-TOYOTA-MR2-B ... mobiles_UK
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I understand people's viewpoint, but to be honest, if you think that the clocks show anything more than the mileage of the engine then you stupid! Bodywork can be replaced etc. You have to form your own judgement on the condition of the car as a whole.
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

This guy phoned me over 30 times in one day (and through the night) when he wanted to buy my car for a lower price than I'd previously agreed with someone else who was already travelling to pick the car up. Wouldn't take no for an answer when I said he'd have to wait until the other guy had a chance to pay. Once I told him the car had been sold he responded with abusing/threatening text messages which I passed on to the police due to the content. I'm sure the car's just great :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

this chap is a member of the mr2 mk1 club as well as ive just seen it listed.
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

jimi wrote::shock: It may not be illegal but it's immoral and just plain wrong :mad:
Confused ? I don't think so. He should have the true mileage of the car in the ad otherwise he's just trying to con some unsuspecting punter. If he's willing to do that what else about the car could cause "confusion" ? I'd walk away.

I'm in complete agreement with you Jimi, it's the ethics of this situation that are all wrong and it's pretty obvious that the car is being misrepresented. As you say, it should make any canny individual very suspicious about what else might not be right about the car.
placebo786

Post by placebo786 »

This is a good one. I can see both sides here. To be fair to the seller he has told you it is 110,000 when quizzed on it so by that you can deduce the clock has been changed to match the mileage of the engine and not the rest of the car.

Having said that the fact he is quite unclear about certain aspects is not a good thing I probably would leave alone as well. After all we are talking about a 4age here and I would take a well serviced well looked after 100,000 + engine over a low mileage one (which has been parked up for a several months at a time) anyday.

On another note What does mileage mean on anything these days. You could buy a 60,000 mileage car which needs a cambelt, Turbo recondition if it has one, Other stuff looking at as well.

I recently bought a higher mileage car with-
brand new tyres less than 100 miles
cambelt less than a thousand miles.
brake pads and discs less than 500 miles
brand new xenon headlights.
A full service less than 200 miles ago.
new clutch etc etc all receipts to prove the above.

So what should I do when I come to sell take an average of the above and the engine and some other complex mathematic equation to get a true mileage for the vehicle.

Besides any AW11 should be bought with the eye regardless of what any seller claims.

Just my two cents guys.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
How can you get mots that show 110k then get one that says 62k? I do not understand.

new MOT should have an advisory note to say clocks changed, or words to that effect
so actually changing the clocks is a pointless exercise, if anything devaluing the car
end of the day the seller can claim almost anything to gain a sale, its up to the buyer to see through the flam.
truth is if the body work is sound and the replacement engine was a good one it could be an excellent buy spoiled only by the the not so bright owner :roll:
i do like in the list of pluses:- TRD badge!! :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”